Unbelievable King Salmon fishing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FX

This Wednesday I read the fishing report out of the Stockton Record.  It reported that the the captain who runs Bodega Bay Sports fishing said it was the best King Salmon he had seen in over 30 years.  I called him right then and there and scheduled a trip for the next day (yesterday).  It was truly unbelievable.  Once out about 30 minutes (however far that is???) he said he saw a bunch below us at about 55'.  There were about 25-30 of us on the boat, but subtract about 10 of those who just layed /sat down due to being sea sick.  The remainder of us lowered the anchoves down to 55' and within 30 seconds it was fish on!  The 2 deckhands never got a moments rest.  It was not uncommon to have 5 or 6 people reeling in a King, a Silver or even a jelly fish, at the same time.  There were tons of Silvers caught but I guess we could not keep them.  Had to throw them back for whatever reason.  I myself caught 4.  15lb, 13lb and two 10lb'rs.  There were about 6 or 7 over 30 lbs.  We had the boats limit within 2 hours and headed home.  On the way home, the Captain told us again this is this was once in a lifetime salmon fishing. 
Anyone on the northern Ca. coast should take a trip out with this guy.

Conratulations, glad you got to experience salmon in the Pacific. Are you going to upload some photos of the big catch?

I'll bet it was a whole lot cooler on the coast than it was inland. It's 104 here today on the Delta and it was 108 when we were in nearby Brentwood this afternoon.

108?  Tom, I got out of there just in time! Maybe if the fishing is so good outside the Gate, we will get a good run up the river this fall.  It cost too much in fuel to take the boat down to the bay, we'll have to wait for them to come to us.

Robert,

Yes, you did get out of here in the nick of time.

caltex said:
It cost too much in fuel to take the boat down to the bay

Isn't that a fact! Used to be with the smaller boats and much lower fuel prices, a weekend of salmon fishing cost $1,000 in fuel. Now it would be more like $4,000 -$5,000..

Might be a good idea to run up the Sacramento in the small boat and fish the river.

BTW I'm surprised that the salmon are in so early. Seems to me we used to fish the ocean in August or early September.

Your memory is correct, the boat club salmon tournament was always held in September (to take advantage of the good weather).  That was usually the tail end of the ocean fishing.

Hard to tell just how hot it was out there.  Once you start fighting the fish - you start to work up a sweat. 

Great read about the good salmon fishing.  Congrats, FX! 

I was supposed to be on the way right now to Westport on the Washington coast to do the same thing...but got a last minute emergency call, so will have to delay for a bit.  But as soon as possible, we will be out there bending some rods! 

I will post back here about our success...or lack of it!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom