Under Dash Access for Rodent Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

banjosimpa

I have had a cat, mice, and now a dying squirrel under my Vista Class A dash on the passenger side.  Although there is a removable dash panel at the steering wheel side, which gives access to the drivers side under dash cavity, there are only very small passages from that cavity over to the passenger side cavity.  Direct, easy access to the passenger side cavity is not available but is absolutely required.  The smell of a dying, or dead rodent makes the unit unusable for several weeks!!

I would like to build an access port, or door, in the vertical bulkhead in front of the passenger seat (at the passenger's knees) that would allow easy access to the under dash cavity.  I prefer not to modify the horizontal dashboard.

Questions:  1.Has anyone done this?  2. How is/are the vertical plastic horizontal sections removed......clips, screws, interlocks, etc.!!
3. Can an access port be built into the plastic bulkhead large enough for two arms to reach inside.  4.  What components are under the dash at that location.

Thanks for any advice.

I had three cats when I lived full time in a class A. I built a damn out of 1/2" plywood that made it impossible for the cats to get under the dash in the first place. I had to open up the damn to drive, but the cats slept while I was driving so it wasn't an issue. Only when I was parked would they attempt to get under the dash. I have a guy living across the street from me that has a pickup truck with animal removal graphics all over the outside of it. If you life in central Florida maybe he could help you. :D

I have to ask, do you know where they are getting in and can you perhaps close off that access instead?

Hope you get it sorted, sounds like a real nuisance.

I had the step removed to check/monitor the house and chassis batteries.  The step removal opens the coach interior to the underneath outside world.....the unit is stored outside.  As I was checking batteries daily I had left the heavy step removed for convenience. After 2 or 3 days I noticed certain items inside the coach had been displaced/moved.  A trail cam inside showed a small squirrel.  It subsequently made its way to the unreachable under dash cavity.  IE., to leave a major opening for any amount of time was a major mistake!! I live in a wooded area where wildlife abounds.

I hope to remove enough trim to access the cavity with out any modifications.  Will get an opinion from Winnebago shortly.

BTW:  I plugged in several 110v sonic rodent deterrents about a year ago and have had no mice problems since.  However apparently the squirrel has/had hearing problems!

The solution to removing the dead squirrel from under the dash was simple, but messy...and cost a few bucks.  The local collision repair shop was able to access the under dash area, in front of the passenger seat, by loosening, pulling aside the vertical panels in front of the passenger seat.  The squirrel had started a nest in the AC hose that blows in the area between the seats, just to the right of the radio.  Access was also from the removal section of dash in front of the driver position.  The compromised hose was detached/accessed, vacuumed out and deodorized.  The repair folks told me the dash seemed to be glued/epoxied to a stringer running front to back, therefore above work around steps were taken.  Everything is now back in its normal place.

While checking all dash heat and ac components it was discovered unable to switch heat/ac from windshield, to floor, to seat area, etc.  A vacuum line to an under dash control unit had been chewed (rodent) which corrupted the control action.  Line was securely patched, all heat/ac now working properly.

Now using peppermint spray for mice, etc. control. ..........and keeping steps at battery compartment in place 24/7. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom