Understanding MH electrical systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I can figure out on the PD website, the Lithium models are single voltage and do not have the charge wizard feature. You would NOT want to use these on non Li batteries. The standard model has a jumper on the circuit board that you can change to adjust it for standard Lead Acid or "gel" batteries (and I think they really mean AGM here, but you would want to call them.) So, yes, you have to pick your batteries and converter together.

Basically this converter IS in its own case, just that there is no front to it. You slide out a metal box, and slide in another one. This IS a universal kit, and the instructions cover many different models and brands. All other power panels require you remove the converter from the steel box and discard the steel box, but in YOUR case, you use it assembled as it comes out of the cardboard box.

Wire size, I would stick with the same amperage, unless you can determine that you have heavy enough wires going to the battery to handle the additional amperage. In my motor home it came with a 55 amp converter and that is what I used, but the Bigfoot came with a 45 amp and 8 gauge wire, so I stuck with 45 amp as I felt the 55 amp needed 6 gauge if the converter were ever called to pump out a full 55 amps.

You DO NOT have to use the new fuse panel, but you don't have the added features of the new panel 1) blown fuse indicators, and 2) Ability to manually force the converter to different modes.

The most work is the new fuse panel. It fits perfectly but if your wires are soldered to the old board, you will want to use a soldering gun to remove them from the board and then slip them under the screws at each terminal. On some old Magnetek boards the wires were in screw tight terminals and you simply take then out of the old terminals and put in the new.

The most care that is required is 1) carefully forming the heavy gauge wires to go where you want and not put stress on the large terminals and to make sure the wires are not rubbing on sharp edges, and 2) (this is important) to use an open end wrench (3/8" I think) to hold the large terminal blocks to prevent them from rotating and being ripped off the circuit board as you tighten the screws. Its an old "equal but opposite reaction" kinda thing.

Late EDIT: When connecting the large wires I find it is much safer to do with the board NOT screwed to the mounting. Insert the large wire, gently tighten the screw to hold it in, then take the wrench and hold the terminal block and use the Allen wrench to tighten the setscrew while countering the force with the wrench. This way you don't run the risk of damaging the printed circuit board connections.

The new circuit board has LEDs at each terminal to indicate a blown fuse, and also has a button and LED to control the charge wizard in the converter (you will never need to mess with this) The purpose of the charge wizard control is to be able to override the charging schedule in the converter. If you are boondocking and want to top the batteries off the generator rather quickly you can use the push button and the LED to force it to Bulk charge mode of 14.4v to bring the batteries up faster. Otherwise depending on the actual state of the batteries, the converter might not go to bulk charge and just charge at 13.6v.

On my motor home installation I ended up re routing a couple of wires thru a different hole in the power panel and using plastic knockout sleeves to protect the wires from the metal edges.

The pic above is from my 2007 motor home, other pics are from my more recent conversion of my 2008 Bigfoot trailer, hence the different color/shade of the fuse panel. You do not need to use the forked spade terminals or ferrules on the wires. I did this after the initial installation to improve the durability of the install.

I installed ferrules on the ends of the wires (except where I used the forked spades on the terminal strip) and I did this as a result of finding a lot of flayed wire strands. I bought a ferrule crimper and ended up ordering special ferrules that were longer than the ones that came with the crimpers, and I'll throw in a couple of pics of before and after on my ground bar.

The pics were sized and annotated for a thread I created on the BigfootRV Owners Club Intl discussion forum. Lots of quality lapses in RV manufacture both then and nowdays. Next to the last pic is to show you what wires with ferrules on the ends look like, thin metal sleeves slipped over freshly stripped wire and crimped into place in either a square or hex shape. Ferrules are nice because they are soft and when a screw terminal is tightened up on them they crush slightly and the screw holds them in well but the screw cannot cut the fine wire strands like happens with bare wire inserted in the screw terminals. The wires on the converter are pre stripped and tinned. Small wires fit nicely under the hold down plates on the bottom terminal strip. The very last pic is the fuse panel before I installed the ferrules. I am an aircraft mechanic (was, I retired) and picky enough to go back and re do an already acceptable installation I had previously done. (the factory ground bar install was what started the ferrule installation, it was UN-acceptable).

Charles

Attachments

• Ferrule inst dc fuse panel FINAL version with spade connectors.jpg
    Ferrule inst dc fuse panel FINAL version with spade connectors.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Ferrule inst old parallax DC fuse panel.jpg
    Ferrule inst old parallax DC fuse panel.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Ferrule inst ground bar before.jpg
    Ferrule inst ground bar before.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Ferrule inst ground bar inst completed.jpg
    Ferrule inst ground bar inst completed.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 6
  • Ferrule inst ground bar 8 gauge ground wires.jpg
    Ferrule inst ground bar 8 gauge ground wires.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Ferrule inst dc fuse panel before.jpg
    Ferrule inst dc fuse panel before.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Can anyone make sense of this?
I have not figured out what #6 is yet.
Also, acc 1&2 say front and rear TV. Obviously the receptacles in the old CRT TV cabinets are AC so what would those 12VDC circuits be powering?

Attachments

• 277079E9-9233-446B-BE15-B5A093E09AFF.jpeg
    277079E9-9233-446B-BE15-B5A093E09AFF.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 9
Number 6 looks like it says "acc" so that could be any added accessory. I doubt anybody here will be able to guess that one.

Assuming your TV works on 120 VAC and not 12V . . .

The 12V to the TV could be for several things, such as this TV at this kitchen table is on a 12V lift. I press a button and the TV comes up. It also could be for RF amps or switches at the TV or something else TV related. Is there anything near the TVs that could be running from 12V?

-Don- ABQ, NM

My coach has both 12v and 120v outlets in the area where the TVs are. In fact, the rear CRT TV was plugged in to the 12v when I removed it.

Thanks to the members, half of the problem solved. The front TV cabinet does have a DC socket that is more difficult to see in person because the LED glare makes the socket hard to focus on. I just dismissed the LED as “who knows what that is !”

The rear TV has nothing near it other than the coax connection. That would not be powered. I assume that goes to the 20 year old roof antenna with is obsolete and useless.

It just hit me that maybe there is a 12VDC wire behind the coax wall plate since the front TV coax box has a built in 12 VDC socket.

Attachments

• 4AE885AC-2784-4CF6-814F-23D537016A47.jpeg
    4AE885AC-2784-4CF6-814F-23D537016A47.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DA13B0AA-8CC4-4F7A-A81C-EA75A186ADA0.jpeg
    DA13B0AA-8CC4-4F7A-A81C-EA75A186ADA0.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I thought those are old analog signal antennas and all TV signals are digital at this point. I live in a decent size area with 3 towns right against each other - population 50,000. We have a local TV station. I’ll give it a try.

thought those are old analog signal antennas and all TV signals are digital at this point. I live in a decent size area with 3 towns right against each other - population 50,000. I’ll give it a try.
There is no such thing as a "digital" antenna. You may see such advertised, but it is BS. Antennas only care about the resonate frequency, not if it is digital or analog getting there. The antenna doesn't know or care.

It will work fine as is.

-Don- ABQ, NM

There is no such thing as a "digital" antenna.
Unless you're in the business of selling antennas...

Not many TV stations left on VHF anymore, which is where the wineguard batwing antennas work best. Strapping on one of the UHF "booster" wingman antennas to it will resolve that. It's on my to do list to see how well the batwing works on FM broadcast, would likely work a lot better on the dash FM radio than the goofy rubber duck that's up there now. Once I had my cabling issues figured out, this past summer I was picking up TV stations 40 miles out where there was line of sight. This year I've been playing with a shortwave converter for the dash radio too, was kinda cool to be listening to WBCQ in Maine while driving around CO and NM.

My RV originally came with a CRT TV and you have to appreciate the structure for suspending one of those turds from the ceiling. The PO replaced them with the LCD TV's that are in there now, saving me that mechanical anguish. The upside is I have both 12V and 120V inverter powered circuits in the front cabinets and bedroom wall which have come in handy for all sorts of electrical and electronic gadgets.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I actually knew the antennas are analog but thought the broadcast signal now carries digital information and that the old rooftop antennas (other than dishes) could not process the information. Since I have been off of roof mount antennas for many decades I never thought about it but analog is analog. It must only be the tuner in the old TV receiver that cannot process the information. Maybe I am just confusing VHF and UHF

Antennas are technically just a conductor, and are sensitive only to wavelength. So there would be a difference between VHF and UHF and what antennas might work better for one or the other. TV channels have been VHF and UHF for decades, so antennas that work sufficiently well for both have been around a long time. Antennas cannot discriminate at all the intelligence conveyed, it is merely the energy transducer between the aether and the receiver. So you're right, it's the "tuner" in the receiver that must be able to convert/process/decode whatever mode is being transmitted and intended to receive.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I actually knew the antennas are analog but thought the broadcast signal now carries digital information and that the old rooftop antennas (other than dishes) could not process the information. Since I have been off of roof mount antennas for many decades I never thought about it but analog is analog. It must only be the tuner in the old TV receiver that cannot process the information. Maybe I am just confusing VHF and UHF
The antenna does nothing except pick up a signal and possibly amplify it if it contains an amplifier. Any TV that is older will not be able to pick up the newer frequencies

It must only be the tuner in the old TV receiver that cannot process the information. Maybe I am just confusing VHF and UHF
Radio signals (includes radar) of most any kind have a carrier frequency (HF, VHF, UHF bands, 88.3 FM, 840 AM, etc.) and some form of modulation (voice, picture). So the "carrier" carries the information such as voice, picture, data, or whatever is put on by the transmitter, all the way to the tuner of the receiver.

The antenna "sees" the carrier frequency* (or signal) and "carries" it unchanged through the antenna and its cable to the tuner. The tuner is where the data/voice/picture/etc. is actually decoded, so is where the difference between analog and digital is important, or even the variations in types of analog, types of digital, etc. become important.

Hope that doesn't muddy the picture for you.

* The antenna works best on the frequency range it is designed for (VHF, UHF, microwave, etc), though it may receive other bands, just not as strongly, sometimes VERY weakly.

I actually knew the antennas are analog but thought the broadcast signal now carries digital information and that the old rooftop antennas (other than dishes) could not process the information.
Antennas see no difference at all between digital and analog.

Maybe I am just confusing VHF and UHF
Yep. There, the antennas make a big difference. Antennas resonate to a frequency, not if digital or analog.

-Don- ABQ, NM (ready to leave here)

I am installing my battery monitor. The unit has great reviews for a $45 unit but the cable is only 6’ long with another foot attached to the monitor. Not a lot of mounting options with the battery directly under the wall the dining table and window are mounted on.

I think I have to mount it to the storage benches / table seats. That will put it only 12 inches off the floor. Not convenient but it will work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
An interesting thing happened to me at the MH this morning. I was kneeling on damp ground and had the battery sitting on the ground with the generator/battery door latched up in the open position. 15 amp shore power was plugged in.

I rested the back of my hand on the inside of the compartment door and got an unpleasant shock. I touched the door again and got nothing. Then I realized I have a tiny sore on the back of my finger with a metal filing sticking out. When I touch that to the metal I can feel electricity. Finally, I wet my hand and could feel the very slightest hint of current so I have a short somewhere. I have one hunch of where it might be. Hopefully, I am right. I will disconnect all battery and shore power and check the suspected connection. If that is not it, I can go to the panel and shut down one circuit at a time and either read my battery monitor or kneel on wet ground and touch my tongue to the metal door ;) until I isolate what is going on.

I assume that goes to the 20 year old roof antenna with is obsolete and useless.
There is nothing useless or obsolete about that old tv antenna. The radio waves haven't changed - just the content they carry. The roof top antenna doesn't know analog from digital or SD from HD. It's the tuner in the tv that makes the difference.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom