Unidentified Popup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeannine

Hi,

For the past week or so I've gotten a popup message that tells me "click here" to see available updates.  The only identifier is a green icon shaped like a jigsaw puzzle piece.  Does anyone know where this comes from?  I don't want to click it unless I know the source.

Jeannine

That's Windows Update telling you that there are updates available for your computer.  You can click on the tray icon and see the updates, then go ahead and download them.  When they're downloaded, the icon will popup another balloon telling you they're ready to install.  Click the icon again and you can tell Windows to install the updates.

This is how the automatic Windows update works when you have it set to notify you before downloading or installing.

Jeannine

That sounds like you're using the Firefox browser, and the jigsaw puzzle indicates there are updates to one or more of the Firefox extensions you have installed.

Instead of clicking on the popup, you could click Tools|Extensions from the menu at the top of your screen, then click the Update button.

I agree, the jigsaw is FireFox's update notifyer... They have several updates in the last few weeks, 2 security issues were identified and updates issued, as well as a number of extensions which have been updated... That is one update popup you should not ignore

However if you have a Replay TV in your "house" and use DVArchive, DO ignore Java's update popup when it arrives, DVArchive works only with Java 1.4.x it won't work with 1.5.x  at least not yet,  Gerry (It's author) has been notified and is likely working on it

Oops, you're right, it's the Firefox update notifier.  The Windows icon is a shield.  In any case, there was a security update for Firefox, ver. 1.0.4, that should definitely be installed.

Thanks guys.  Now that I know it's coming from Firefox, I'll get the update. 

Jeannine

Back
Top Bottom