Unified tow brake system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the Unified tow system.  You should have received a manual when you bought it that will explain how to adjust the gain.  But if not, I adjust mine by trial and error.  Once it is set, you really don't need to make any further adjustment.  I have mine set between "4" to "5".  When you stop you should not feel the tow car pushing you or feel it dragging behind pulling you.  That can be hard if you have a large diesel pusher; you don't often feel that little weight behind you.  But if the gain is drastically out of line, you will feel something; either the car "slamming" (drastic image) into the coach.  Or a dragging feeling.  If it is set too high, you'll drag the tires.  The car and coach should stop in unison.

The Unified system also has a connection that will keep the towed car's battery charged; make sure that is working.

Marsha~

Thanks for the reply Marsha.  My manual didn't tell how to set the gain nor did I find anything on the internet.  The dealer has it set about a gain of 2.  I think that may be low since I did find something that said start the gain setting at 5 and go from there. It didn't say how to go from there however. The toad is fairly heavy as toads go. Yes our coach is heavy.  I set my trailer brakes on the pickup by sensing the drag while slowly coasting.  I was wondering if I could set the toad brakes by idling the coach in gear and sense the drag of the toad.

The same general principles apply as when adjusting any trailer brakes - in that you want to find the point where the brakes begin to lock - preferably on a gravel surface at speeds of 20-25 mph. Then back off just a bit until they stop locking. Whatever setting/s you wind up with, the MH brakes should only be stopping the MH and the toad brakes only stopping the toad. If you ever feel the toad when applying brakes, the gain is too much.

Once you find that, an advantage of cockpit control in the US Gear system is that you can then go more or less according to the terrain. For example, I go down to zero while driving around an RV park when coming or going or in stop and go traffic - and adjust a bit higher than my normal setting when coming down a 7% grade.

I had the unified brake system on my Towed, and read the manual well, I recall the instructions for setting the gain on the TC-6000 controller.

Bob, hit it on the dot.  That is exactly how to do it.

The only thing is this... I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use the manual lever (Which I suspect will override the gain) or hit the brakes on the motor home.. And I do not care to "Panic stop" the motor home.. I'm not sure how hard to stop to set them.

Back
Top Bottom