UPDATE ON EXTENDING B2 VISA (I539)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully the FBI doesn't find all those bad things about you  :)

TonyL said:
If I could meet someone in person, I might stand a chance of charming them ( bet Jackie disagrees) but it is either telephone or internet. When we had the biometric interview I had hoped to glean a little more info, all they could say was that the application now goes to the FBI. Not sure if charm will work there?
I do ?

The I539 process is nothing like applying for the Visa, there's no office you can go to and be interviewed or discuss your case (as far as we know)
At the end of the day, if you want to visit another country for an extended period, you are the visitor and whatever bureaucracy is put before you is that countries right and privilege. Don't make it any less stressful though, but at least I'm not trying to communicate in a foreign language.

Tom said:
Hopefully the FBI doesn't find all those bad things about you  :)
Well the other half hasn't found out yet ?

Hope the person dealing with our application isn't a forum member?

Having spent years working with US agencies, I understand only too well.

In a couple of cases we had teams of 100+ industry representatives that met regularly with agency personnel, often talking to a brick wall. Like we used to say in the UK, it was like dealing with the Wales Gas Board  :eek: except ...

At one large "reconciliation" meeting, attempting to bring industry and government together, one Dept Of Defense guy stood up and, with a red face, shouted "you're all crooks and we're going to put you all in jail!" Fortunately, a number of us had decent relationships with various DOD departments and individuals. We didn't go to jail (phew!), and we weren't crooks.

TonyL said:
The I539 process is nothing like applying for the Visa, there's no office you can go to and be interviewed or discuss your case (as far as we know)
At the end of the day, if you want to visit another country for an extended period, you are the visitor and whatever bureaucracy is put before you is that countries right and privilege. Don't make it any less stressful though, but at least I'm not trying to communicate in a foreign language.

Well you must start out by telling the fine folks that you are driving a Ford and pulling a 5th wheel camper, and not some "caravan" :)

Boat Addict said:
Well you must start out by telling the fine folks that you are driving a Ford and pulling a 5th wheel camper, and not some "caravan" :)
Ouch!!!!

As a way not to distract from this thread, I will start another one pertaining to our local dialogue with a bit of English accent  and targeted words that's unique to the region.

Government bureaucracy can be daunting. The rules are usually complex and the people administering those rules "generally" have to follow the rules. I never blame the bureaucrat - I tend to blame the bureaucracy.

My wife and I lived overseas for the first 5 years of our marriage and tried to get her a ITIN (tax number) by mail for all that time. I made mistakes but the biggest hang up was they wanted her passport mailed in or a certified document from the issuing agency that she was who she claimed to be. Anyone who has lived overseas knows that sending one's passport away is a very disconcerting thing to do. We had a document "original" signed by the minister of the passport issuing agent - think US secretary of state type person. It was also rejected - our third reject!

We finally returned home and when we got "in front of" a real person (at a real IRS office), he certified everything for us, in fact filling out an entirely new application and she had her number in 2 weeks. Ironically we had been to this office before and the "registrant" gatekeeper who decided if we "needed" to see a real person would not let us talk to the real process expert and told us to go away. 

The second time over a year later she also told us to go away and I insisted to hear it from the "process" person not her.  She was visibly P.O.'d and said, "There is only one person here today and you will have to wait." Which we did for almost 2 hours. 

When he showed up the process guy had our paperwork when he came to our booth and just started filling out forms. Kind a a book nerd guy - like an accountant - LOL.  I read his body language and did not disturb him. He then told my wife, "Sign here, here and here." - I had to ask what was going on.  He said, "All fixed. You should get your number in 2 weeks." - I took him at face value and once we were in front of him it took less than 15 minutes. - LOL... Yes I was frustrated that something solved in 15 minutes took 5 years but that's our world, I guess...

The point is there are a lot of good people in some very complicated and confusing bureaucracies. When/if OP gets in front of a real person I am hopeful all will be forgiven and understood due to the extreme mitigating circumstances this year.

jackiemac said:
Hope your wife gets home soon Dan, I'm sure you are missing each other.

Strange year for sure for everyone. She rocked up with "cold" symptoms last Thursday, so you know what a panic that created.  She is on the mend and feeling much better.

Ex-Calif said:
Strange year for sure for everyone. She rocked up with "cold" symptoms last Thursday, so you know what a panic that created.  She is on the mend and feeling much better.

Well that is good! 

Tony,

Since you're now back in the UK, I'm curious if you received approval of your I-539 petition before leaving the US. Out of curiosity, how far beyond the expiration of the I-94 were you when you left?

Hi Tom,
At the time of departing the US, we still had not received any update on our extension application, and are still waiting. Our I94 expired on July 15th, so we were 4 months past when we left. We desperately need to know if the extension will be granted in case we need to obtain a new Visa before returning (whenever that will be) until then, fingers crossed that all remains safe and secure in storage. Thanks for asking.

Thanks Tony. I was especially curious if the US authorities do eventually grant approval of the I-539, or if the letter you received is all you'll get. If they don't formally grant approval, that letter will probably be key for any new B1/B2 visa application.

Your experience is all good info for others who follow in your footsteps.

Rest assured that as soon as we have any further information we'll let the forum members know. As I said previously, hindsight would have had us returning before the end of our I94, as the uncertainty is a little off putting, but as none of us know our future, we must always live life to the full. Missing the US already.

Back
Top Bottom