Updated ? on my air conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JIGGS

As I have asked before on recharging my air conditioner. I have been told a couple ways to have it done. I called two repair centers and they both told me you can't recharge a air conditioner that is 15 years old. The problem is the tube is to brittle where you would put in the Freon. Is this true ? Has anyone had it done to a unit this old or heard about it being done and working.
Sorry to go over this again. I don't want to buy new if I can help it
Thanks jiggs

I do not think I've ever done one 15 yoa (oldest I have is 13 just now)

Not, it's the freon,  15 years ago the standard is the now illegal to produce and very hard to find R-12, today it's R-134a, so you have to have the system updated.  Fairly simply process... Just requires money

Problem 2.. R-12 is much better at cooling than 134 will ever be

IMHO you will save yourself money and headaches buying a new AC.  The reason the old AC needs charging is it leaks. It takes time to locate and fix leaks (if they can be fixed) and there is a very good chance the repairs and recharge will not last that long.  There are reasons the AC units do not have charging ports installed.  It will be cheaper in the long run to buy new units than to attempt to have the old one repaired/recharged at a cost close to what the new unit would cost anyway. Then end up putting out the cash to replace the non working repaired unit.

I have the same problem, lucky for me I had 3 1#ers of r12 in my garage.  Around Chicago R12 is going for around $150 a pound.
Brian

The freon is not a problem. I don't think. The tag says it takes R-22  in which the repair man has all I need. He also says that it might leak but the risk is up to me. It could last a year or two. I must figure out which way to go. If I could get that kind of time out of it. I would go that route. After all it is a 1989 allthough it is in great shape still a 89. I called my local rv shop and for $800 I could buy a new air conditioner. How many recharges can i get for that? any more info would be great
Thanks jiggs

The operative word there is COULD last a year or two.  No guarantees.  Personally I think you would be very lucky if you got a year out of it.  I still recommend buying a new one.  With a little shopping around you might even get a new one at a better price.

An a/c system designed for R-12 or R-22 uses Vitron seals which are not compatible with R-134a. Also the compressor oil would have to be flushed and replaced with a compatible oil. If your compressor, hoses, condensor, evaporator, expansion valve are all leak-free (O-rings may be your only problem; they become brittle and leak with age especially if the a/c is not 'worked' during the off season) and functional, there's no reason to convert to the R-134a components. Typically, a leak will be in either the high pressure or low pressure hoses or their connection to the compressor or condensor. You can usually detect the problem by a buldge on one of the hoses or oil on the outside of them or the connections. A simple leak-down test will tell you if the integrity of the system has been compromised. You'll need a set of a/c guages and a vacuum pump - an old refrigerator compressor works just fine. Contact me via PM for my phone number, and I'l be happy to talk you through the process.

Thanks for all your advice. I will be on the road for a couple days. I will decide what to do then. One thing I must think about is I take my mother with me a lot of the times. She is on oxygen so to put in a new air would be better for her and a piece of mind for me. Like you have said could last a while. Could last a couple hours.  I will look on eBay and see what they have . Has anyone tried a portable air conditioner ?  The one I have seen is$300 - 10.000 btu It is cheaper then the $800 -15'000 btu  That is a big deference in cooling power.
thanks again jiggs

Jiggs try ColawRVSalvage in Mo.  They ship all over the country and have had very good prices on ACs in the past.  It's near Joplin at the 22 mile exit.  Good luck

I just had a coleman low amp AC, 13500 btu installed by camping world for 639.00

seems much better to go new than to recharge an old unit like that.

Back
Top Bottom