Updating the Garmin 2610/2620 GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

What is the best and most economical way of updating these GPS systems?  Should we order direct from Garmin or are there less expensive ways to get map updates?

I was looking at the Garmin site this morning and it appears that City Navigator ver. 8 isn't available for the 2620, which is listed as a discontinued model.  I don't know of any other source for the updates than Garmin.  You have to buy the unlock key from them, but the CD is free.

Ned said:
I was looking at the Garmin site this morning and it appears that City Navigator ver. 8 isn't available for the 2620, which is listed as a discontinued model.? I don't know of any other source for the updates than Garmin.? You have to buy the unlock key from them, but the CD is free.

I have a Garmin 2620 that came with version 6. Approx 10 months ago they send me an e-mail and offering version V7 for  $150. and I did not buy V7.
4 weeks ago I received an E-mail and they offered version V8 for $ 75.00. I purchased this version received a disc and they e-mailed the unlock code.
I saw quite some improvements in new development areas.

chris

Chris,

Thanks for the info.  I haven't received the email, although I'm registered as a 2620 owner with Garmin.  I'll contact them directly.

I also have a registered 2620 and haven't received that email either. I upgraded to V7 last spring but my 2620 was new enough to qualify for a freebie upgrade at the time - it came with V6 but I bought it new after V7 came out.

I see the City Nav V8 upgrade on the Garmin site, though. $75.

Ver. 8 is on the web site but it doesn't show as compatible withe the 2620.  The 2620 needs a different DVD due to the internal hard drive.  I have inquired at Garmin about it.  They seem to have lost my original registration and trying to reregister with the registration code gives an error that the code is already registered.  Another Catch-22 :)

Guess I will have to call Garmin.  Hope mine shows as registered.  I did not get ver 7 either, but now I am running into to many road discrepancies.

I emailed Garmin about a month ago requesting the v8 update DVD. Haven't seen anything yet.

Smoky said:
Guess I will have to call Garmin.? Hope mine shows as registered.? I did not get ver 7 either, but now I am running into to many road discrepancies.

Unfortunately I doubt if the new version will help much.  I started with the first version of City Nav and up to version 6 very few, if any, of the discrepancies I had found were ever corrected.

BernieD said:
I emailed Garmin about a month ago requesting the v8 update DVD. Haven't seen anything yet.

I received the version 8 DVD for my 2610 and the new roads in Surprise, AZ have been added.  The DVD for version 8nt is supposed to be out the middle of Sept.

PhilB

Gary,

Thanks for the reference.  When I looked for all compatible database products for the 2620, only the non-North American products were listed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom