Upgrading tires and wheels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul finn

I have a Thor Hurricane 32A with 19.5 inch steel wheels . I was thinking of upgrading to Alcoa aluminum wheels when I replace the tires. Is it worth the added investment? I also noticed Winnebago class A motorhomes of about the same size have 22 inch wheels. Would it be okay to put the larger wheels on my 32A? I know this may require recalibrating the speedometer as a larger diameter tire has the same effect as lowering the gear ratio. Thoughts?

Laura & Charles

Could be anywhere. Originally from Ohio. Go Bucks!
Welcome to the forum. I’m sure several others more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly. Instinctively, I suspect this not a good idea. The engine and tranny have been mated and spec’d with those 19.5 wheels and may require adjusting the rear end gearing to get same performance. There’s also possible clearance issues—are the wheel wells big enough? And I’m unclear why you want to do this; 22s are more expensive.

Henry J Fate

Will not fit

22s will also have larger tires both in width and diameter.

The body must be designed for 22 inch rims and tires

boatbuilder

There are several things to keep in mind. No matter what size wheels you have, the rolling diameter of the stock tire/wheel assembly determines the road speed with the manufacturer's chosen rear end ratio. You can change wheel diameter if there are tires that keep the rolling diameter the same. The tire manufacturers have tables that give you that information.
Another thing is tire availability. The more vehicles the tire fits the lower the cost, normally. You may find a wheel/tire combination that works but the tires may be cost prohibitive if they are manufactured in small numbers.
Tire width is the other part of the equation. If the tire gets too wide it can rub on body or frame parts when turned, which if you watch auto racing, is never a good outcome.

phil-t

That Thor body design is probably not going to get along with 22.5" wheels and tires, fit-wise. Addditionally, the 22.5" wheels will require different hubs, brake assemblies, lugs, etc. Not likely a very cheap project. The larger wheels and tires might improve handling and ride qualities but then there are other mods you can do to improve those with the 19.5" setup.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
I have a Thor Hurricane 32A with 19.5 inch steel wheels . I was thinking of upgrading to Alcoa aluminum wheels when I replace the tires. Is it worth the added investment?
What do you expect to achieve? The only "worth" is cosmetic.

And as others have said, the 22.5" wheels probably use a different pattern of hub mounting studs, and the smallest tire available in that diameter may or may not fit in the wheel opening of the coach body. Youwill have to compare overall widths and tire diameters to see.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ORV270RKS
Top Bottom