US 33 in West Virginia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teddyu

Need to travel from Harrisonburg, VA to Pittsburgh, Pa at the end of October. Thinking about using US 33 from Harrisonburg to Clarksburg, WV. From what I've researched, the road is either 2 or 4 lanes over the length. That's OK with me. The question concerns the hills there. Is it fairly flat with steep climbs or just a complete rolli-coaster? Born and raised in SW PA so I understand the possible terrain for this road.

The Mountain Directory East lists a set of three major hills on 33 between Harrisonburg and Judy Gap, WV.  One is 5 miles of steady 9% with hairpin turns. Another is 4.5 miles of 8-9%, while the little one is "only" 1.5 miles of 8%.  In short, forget it!

Just so happens I traveled that section of US-33 last week on a non-RV weekend.  As Gary said,  forget it!  Very steep road with plentiful hairpins.  Though the guys with me on motorcycles had a blast!

Thanks Gary & berky for your responses.  Momma didn't raise no fool, except my brother, so I'll heed your advice.  Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom