US Registered camper staying in Canada ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1452spunky

Ok, so a buddy of mine from the US, wants to bring his camper ( US registered in US ) across into Canada and leave it here...I have a nice large property and proper sewage hookup....he figured it would be easy to leave it all the time as he really only uses it to visit us..So I guess I am wondering how the Canadian border would view this, if at all ? I don't work at the border, so not sure what they track or know that goes across...he is not trying to be sneaky, he just wants to know what is involved, if anything...TIA

No problem,, the Canadian crossing should be normal as any crossing should be.. then on his return to the US, he will not be towing anything so nothing to see or declare on the US side.. ( he won't be stopping on the Canadian side when leaving as you only clear customs on the country you are entering,, not the one you are leaving.)..>>>Dan

Last edited:
not so sure about

Utclmjmpr comment - reason being is i have been asked several times when entering the US if i am leaving anything there. here are the Canadian rules as it pertains to boats

when entering or exiting Canada or the US pictures are taken of the vehicle and often the question asked is have you have any repairs done to the vehicle? friend of mine said no. Got busted for replacing a headlight and not declaring it .

Last edited:
The border probably isn't an issue, except maybe for the "did you leave anything" question that is sometimes asked. But I wonder if someone might not eventually ask why that US-tagged RV is more-or-less permanently in the province. Leaving it there like that probably constitutes "importing a vehicle", a very formal procedure. And I suspect the province also has rules about tags & title for vehicles located there long term. He could get into a real snarl if someone starts asking questions.

Another thing to check out is if there are Provincial or Municipal restrictions to allow the RV to sit on your lot for extended periods. I would be more concerned about you not being allowed to have it on your lot long term if there are restrictions.

Ed

I see that while I was typing, Gary had similar comments, you should check it out.

As said, importation paperwork aside, it could be an issue for the local authorities, depending on the zoning of your property. And it only takes one call from a neighbour, especially if your buddy leaves the plates on (or even if removed). If the property is secluded, then the main issue is if/when the time comes to move the RV away.

What about insurance for the RV? Most insurance companies what the coverage to be based upon where that RV spends most of it's time, or is kept when not on the road. His insurance is probably going to object if they know and not pay if they are not told.

Ok, so a buddy of mine from the US, wants to bring his camper ( US registered in US ) across into Canada and leave it here...I have a nice large property and proper sewage hookup....he figured it would be easy to leave it all the time as he really only uses it to visit us..So I guess I am wondering how the Canadian border would view this, if at all ? I don't work at the border, so not sure what they track or know that goes across...he is not trying to be sneaky, he just wants to know what is involved, if anything...TIA
where in Canada? if he is going from Washington and lets say he heads to "Alaska",who's to know if he ever made it up there? nobody would ever know if he stopped and permanently parked it along the way.

where in Canada? if he is going from Washington and lets say he heads to "Alaska",who's to know if he ever made it up there? nobody would ever know if he stopped and permanently parked it along the way.
Not unless the "neighbors" complained. Maybe no neighbors though.

Not unless the "neighbors" complained. Maybe no neighbors though.
western Canadian rural folk tend to live and let live.on my street there are probably 50% of the people living here in direct contravention of zoning laws.i'm zoned residential lakefront and can have a non permanent trailer on my lot as a residence,anything across the road is not allowed,but nobody abides and nobody cares.permits and inspectors? lol.

Last edited:
Poster hasnt been back - got an answer he wanted to hear (which was really really bad advise in my opinion) and hasnt been back since lol

Last edited:
Are you talking about a truck camper? If so it is considered cargo. Not a vehicle. It needs no registration.

Careful, beacuse that depends on location. Provinces like Ontario or BC don't requiere registration, but some states do. I'm not sure about other provinces in Canada

Careful, beacuse that depends on location. Provinces like Ontario or BC don't requiere registration, but some states do. I'm not sure about other provinces in Canada
Yah I’m not familiar with all of them for sure. But i believe Alberta and Saskatchewan are the same. No registration and they are insured as cargo thru house and/or truck insurance.

Yah I’m not familiar with all of them for sure. But i believe Alberta and Saskatchewan are the same. No registration and they are insured as cargo thru house and/or truck insurance.
In Alberta rv insurance is seperate from house or car, but insurance companies will also deny a claim if someone hasnt checked on the trailer in a 7 day period, but we only register it once.

In Alberta rv insurance is seperate from house or car, but insurance companies will also deny a claim if someone hasnt checked on the trailer in a 7 day period, but we only register it once.
Yes but I’m referring to a truck camper here. Not sure if the Op is talking about a truck camper or not. The word camper seems to mean different things to different people. Just a nomenclature thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom