US visas delay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TonyL

Spoke to a UK couple yesterday who applied for their visas in December 2020. Earliest appointment they could get was September! They had just been notified that this appointment was now cancelled and the earliest is February 2022.
Any UK person considering getting a visa better get in the queue.

And folks headed from the US who's US passport has expired face a wait of 18-weeks for their passport.

We were expecting a multi-month delay in getting our US passports renewed, but we got them in less than 4 weeks! Sent them in March 2021, they arrived at our house in April.

Reactions: Tom
Spoke to a UK couple yesterday who applied for their visas in December 2020. Earliest appointment they could get was September! They had just been notified that this appointment was now cancelled and the earliest is February 2022.
Any UK person considering getting a visa better get in the queue.
Wow. Should be able to use an Esta although it will limit stay.

Wow. Should be able to use an Esta although it will limit stay.
That's what I suggested to them. So long as they don't envisage any issues with getting their Visas, we bought our unit before we had even submitted any visa applications.

People need to be careful and make sure that they do use the official site. There are several very official looking websites that charge much more to obtain an ESTA. More concerning is what they do with your sensitive data.

People need to be careful and make sure that they do use the official site. There are several very official looking websites that charge much more to obtain an ESTA. More concerning is what they do with your sensitive data.
Interestingly just after applying for an ESTA via the official site, my credit card was used 3 times in a Staples store in the US whilst I was home in Scotland.

I had to get a new card. I got my money back but just shows even a reputable site can have problems.

The non government sites charge a lot more so you certainly do need to be wary.

Interestingly just after applying for an ESTA via the official site, my credit card was used 3 times in a Staples store in the US whilst I was home in Scotland.

I had to get a new card. I got my money back but just shows even a reputable site can have problems.

The non government sites charge a lot more so you certainly do need to be wary.
Our government is always in the red so they have to get money anyway they can. :cool:

Just an update on the 10 year B2 visa.

We expected 2-3 months as a wait time for a London US Embassy interview, but were shocked when the wait time calculator said 120 Calendar days Visitor Visa

Completed our applications and recieved our appointments date, 167 days. As of a few minutes ago the estimate was 200 days for London, this is 3 weeks after our applications.

It's not that the wait time is so long, I'm sure there are good reasons, but there is no indication (except on this forum) that it's best to apply a year before travel.

We could also have applied in Paris, the wait time there was 50% longer than London...

I'm sorry but the extended wait times for interviews is probably due to delays after Covid ( I hate blaming the virus, it's caused enough distress already)
When we applied back in 2019, after submitting our paperwork, we could get an interview within 48 hours.
Hopefully, times will drop back to normal soon

"Due to covid the US Dept. of state recommends that you apply for renewal of your 10 year B1/B2 visa 12 years before it expires..."

AFAIK no one got laid off at the Dept of State. It seems any excuse for lousy performance works for the govt.

"Due to covid the US Dept. of state recommends that you apply for renewal of your 10 year B1/B2 visa 12 years before it expires..."

AFAIK no one got laid off at the Dept of State. It seems any excuse for lousy performance works for the govt.
2 years before you applied for it? 🤪

It seems any excuse for lousy performance works for the govt.
Before this gets too political, all governments are just as bad. In the UK, you have to renew your driving license at 70. A friend sent his in well before it was due, and it took over 5 months to be processed, so called because of the virus. Truth was the unions representing the DVLA workers realized that after furlough, they thought the workers should be paid more to go back to working normally. Most government run departments don't need to worry about Customer service, and they know it.

Back
Top Bottom