Use the RV to tow a race car...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IslandHopper

Well... I race cars... so I now use the RV to tow the car to various races... 

Photo attached!

I get to stay in the RV in the pits, rather than having a hotel room. I also now have someplace to relax during the day, between events (assuming I'm not leaning over the car, wrench in hand.)  Soda's from the Dometic are much cheaper than the ones from the concession stand. AirCon when desired.  Furnace when desired. etc....

Anyone else around here into performance automobiles ?

Attachments

• IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 138
No, but a car and heavy duty trailer like that is a substantial weight to be towing. Make sure the motorhome hitch is rated for it and also that you do not exceed the motorhome's GCWR.

I couldn't find any pictures of my car on the trailer, but the trailer was an open Trailex, all aluminum and weighed less than a 1,000 pounds, total with car under 4,000. A couple of shots of the car, autocross mode not at the track, are attached.

Attachments

• DSCN0959.jpg
    DSCN0959.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN0962.jpg
    DSCN0962.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN0963.jpg
    DSCN0963.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 76
RV Roamer said:
No, but a car and heavy duty trailer like that is a substantial weight to be towing. Make sure the motorhome hitch is rated for it and also that you do not exceed the motorhome's GCWR.

The hitch can handle it ... but the GCWR is awfully close.

When I first posted the pictures, I was looking for one of the car on the trailer. Marlene found it for me and I attached it. The trailer and car are in full travel mode with 8 track tires on the rack, pulled by our old '98 UltraSport.

Attachments

• PP Brochures BB (Medium).jpg
    PP Brochures BB (Medium).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 100
I know this is an old post but I will try to post a link.  I know how you feel at the track.  My MH has made being at the track much more pleasurable not only for me but my family.  They hated sitting at the track with no way of getting out of the elements other than the tow truck.  The only way to race.

Nice Spec Miata by the way.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/Gasser_photos/towvehicle.jpg

BernieD said:
I couldn't find any pictures of my car on the trailer, but the trailer was an open Trailex, all aluminum and weighed less than a 1,000 pounds, total with car under 4,000. A couple of shots of the car, autocross mode not at the track, are attached.

Nice RS America.  I had a red one that I turned into a track car.  One of my buddies has it now and I have a 993.  I sold my RS because I had a second child and just did not have time to race.  I am back into it and he has my old car and I had to find a new one.  I ended up with a used 993 race car and it seems well sorted.

Here is a pic of my old RSA.  Its looks much more sorted than my current car but it has more money in it.  I will start beefing up and spiffing up my 993 this winter.

RSA.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/Gasser_photos/A-024.jpg

993 at speed!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/Gasser_photos/A-016.jpg

From the looks of the total Rig  Seems to be a tad bit of 65' bumper tp bumper.  I too had length problems with 24' enclosed trailer and 37 ft MH.  with A Frame 64'11 1/2"  just under the 65 man limit.

Shayne said:
From the looks of the total Rig  Seems to be a tad bit of 65' bumper tp bumper.  I too had length problems with 24' enclosed trailer and 37 ft MH.  with A Frame 64'11 1/2"  just under the 65 man limit.

I am exactly 65 feet bumper to bumper.  Its a V nose so the front is barly over 1.5 feet from the coach.  My coach is 39 feet long and the trailer is a 24 foot V nose.  It tows great.  I am well within the weight limit of my coach and I have trailer brakes.  Taking it out tomorrow to a race weekend.  Can't wait.

I use my Tradewind  (37 foot National diesel pusher)  to tow a 28 foot Pace American enclosed trailer with a 3100 lb BMW M3 race car inside. It seems to handle it pretty well. I hardly know it's there, in contrast to towing with my GMC 2500 Duramax which never lets you forget that the trailer is heavier than the truck.

i just bought 1992 34ft allegro bay diesel pusher and hope to pull my 24ft box trailer at 7500lbs. This my first rv so i will learn quickly. Bradley

roadrunnerreds- First, welcome to the site! I don't think you noticed, but the thread you just replied to is 9 years old. You  would get more and better answers if you started a new thread in the "motorhomes" or "towing and towables" section.

Back
Top Bottom