Used Safari Trek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calipham

Hi,

I am looking at some used 2003-2004 Safari Trek models. This will be my first RV. I will appreciate some guidances:

1. Since I am in California, what are the smog certificate requirements? Seems like California residents have to buy RVs that are certified to California not the 49-state type. This severely limits out-of-state purchases.

2. Anyone has opinions on Safari Trek? I love the short length (26-27') and the floor plan even though they don't have slideout. Will the lack of slide out a problem later on?

3. Some of the used Safari Trek out there have asking prices that are way above the NADA (free site) numbers? How I do realistically price the offer numbers?

Thankyou in advance for the advises.

I recently viewed one on a lot while getting some work done.  They're not much  No storage, no nothing.  Way to small for two people    At least 32ft  with or without a slide.  been using MHs since the 60's and thats the size we had then  Never again.  JMO

Before commiting to a Trek, try the Magic Bed for a long enough period of time to be sure

• you can get in and out of it in its sleeping position, taking into consideration any physical limitations you might have
  • you are comfortable sleeping in it, that the mattress on the hard surface does not create pressure points that result in painful sleep

Another consideration in a Trek is that when one partner goes to bed and the other wants do watch TV or stay awake, will there be room to do both.

If all these are not a problem, a Trek by Monaco might be OK.  When buying a used coach, it should be thoroughly inspected by a third party expert with no connection to the seller.

Thankyou for the replies. Any California residents has experiences with buying an RV outside of California? Anyone has a successful way to value a used coach? I just want to pay for a good coach at a fair price. That to me is a good deal. I'm not looking for bargain basements. Thanks again.

Try not to pay more than NADA Low Retail for a used coach, especially with no trade in or in a private sale. And don't add anything to the NADA price for options either.

I don't know about the smog thing, but I do know that people have moved to CA with their out of state RVs. Suggest you call the DMV (or whoever administers the smog regs) and ask about bringing a used vehicle into the state. It may be the regs are different if you already live there?

Gary,

I notice that you and I think Shayne always say never add anything for options when looking at NADA prices.

Are you saying that you would pay the same for two identical MHs except that one has a diesel gen set and the other has a LP gen set, four door refer w/ice maker other has standard two door refer, one has washer/dryer while other does not, one with auto seek sat TV, other no sat system at all.

I don't see where these two MHs are worth the same. Why shouldn't the options be added in?  None of this stuff comes standard on a MH.

Value difference used is Minute. Used is used and only worth what someone will pay and the other will take.  Most of the equipment by NADA is considered standard.  Only way I could see where extras would be included is in case of a wreck where the unit is totaled and then for claiming for insurance purposes.  Mileage would make a difference but not equipment.  To me both LP and Diesel Gensets would be a detriment on a Gas powered unit because to the extra fuel containers.  I wouldn't want either.  JMO

I have to agree with Don. If you look up our coach on NADA the only selection for our model is a 370hp Cummins ISL engine. The 400hp engine was a $6000 option. The full body paint was another $10,000, not even shown. There should be some consideration for unusul circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom