used vehicle - axle ratio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinoyfunk

Hello forum,
    I plan on purchasing a 2-4 yr old chev or gm 1500 with a 5.3.  Can anyone tell me how to figure out what the axle ratio is on any given truck.

Did you look in the glove box? Some manufacturers put a sticker there for axle ratio.  Sometimes on the door post too. I don't know if GM does either of these, though.  There may also be a tag or a letter code on the differential itself.

If push comes to shove, you can determine it manually as follows:

Place transmission in neutral and elevate one tire (make sure vehicle won't roll!). Mark tire and driveshaft, turn tire two complete revolutions while counting number of turns of the driveshaft. This is your Actual Gear Ratio. i.e. 3 turns + 3.00 ratio, 4.1 turns = 4.1 ratio, etc.

Thanks Roamer.  You seem to have an answer for everything - I must say I respect your knowledge.

Nah, he just likes to sit and spin his wheels. ;D ;D ;D

RV Roamer said:
If push comes to shove, you can determine it manually as follows:

Place transmission in neutral and elevate one tire (make sure vehicle won't roll!). Mark tire and driveshaft, turn tire two complete revolutions while counting number of turns of the driveshaft. This is your Actual Gear Ratio. i.e. 3 turns + 3.00 ratio, 4.1 turns = 4.1 ratio, etc.

Damn!  That is a neat and simple solution.  Excellent!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom