Using a crockpot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Awj0702

Hi all,
So if I am planning to cook in a crockpot in the sink while on the go, do I need to put something under the crockpot to protect the sink? And if so what do you suggest using.
Thanks in advance

do I need to put something under the crockpot to protect the sink?
Now you are going to tell me what your sink is made of and why you are concerned it might melt.

Then you will tell us how you plan to keep the crock pot stable, and the size of the crockpot,

Hotdogs and sauerkraut don't spill like soup. Just saying....

As mentioned it really depends on what your sink is made out of, we often cook in a crockpot in the sink on travel days, and just set the crockpot in the sink and go. Though in our case the sink / countertop is solid surface Corrian style material which is heat stable up to 212 degrees F. If we had a plastic sink I would be more concerned about heat damage, if we had a stainless steel sink, I would be less concerned.

well in case anyone is worried about meltdown... WILL NOT HAPPEN. Slow cookers generally limit to under 250 Degrees. or less.

I used a Butron "Stove To Go" as I recall. this looks like a lunch box but with one of two cords plugged into the bottom on one end. a 12 volt cord, or a 120 volt cord. Small. just enough to do dinner for 2.

Not worried about melting, don’t want to scratch sink. Medium sized crockpot. Will stabilize it with towels on the side.

If worried about the bottom of the sink, pick up a BBQ mat and cut it to shape and place it in sink. It's made to withstand fire in a BBQ grill, durable so it won't break or fall apart, and will protect the sink from the feet of the crock pot, no matter what the feet are made of. Plus, if the crock pot spills over, the BBQ mat is very easy to wash off, unlike towels that will have to laundered.

If the sinks in our RV can withstand boiling water being dumped down them (think of draining spaghetti water -- 212 degrees - the temperature of boiling water), then I don't think the heat coming from a crock pot is anything to worry about.

We're not concerned with the heat from the pot, but as said, the hard rubber feet on ours are capable of scratching the plastic sink. The two hot pads we use under the pot are just the right size and padded enough to prevent scratching as well as help keep the pot in place. They normally hang on a hook by the stove, so they're easy to grab when needed.

hard rubber feet on ours are capable of scratching the plastic sink.
I guess my crock pot is different.

Hope you figured out a plan to haul your crock pot. Which recipe are you making on the next trip?

So,

do I need to put something under the crockpot to protect the sink? And if so what do you suggest using.
Thanks in advance

What are you planning on putting in that crock pot that does not melt the sink, but scratches the sink?

No one said anything about the sink melting.
No one said it wasn't going to melt.

I work with the limited tidbits I am offered to figure out an answer.

You guys ALWAYS say:

We need more information. Another FUN thread!

So do all you crockpot people have inverters or do you run the gennie going down the road?
We have an inverter in our pick-up truck. We put the crock pot on the floor of the back seat. The seats flip up, completely out of the way. Ours has a locking top, it doesn't spill over. And the smell of the food drives us insane!

It's very similar to this one: Click here.

We have run the crockpot underway on more than a few occasions. Admitted we have a stainless steel sink that is nearly 50yo so we don't worry about scratching it, but we found out early that the crockpot didn't like the arrangement very much. So, we put a towel in the sink and then it does not mind so much. We also (as the direct result of experience) use a couple on bungies to secure the cover even though this new pot's lid does dog down (we don't choose to repeat the earlier experiences) and I always use another loose bungy to hitch the crockpot to the tap. Why the tap? Because that is the only thing aft of the pot that is completely solid. For some unknow reason, 4-wheelers keep putting us in brake test situations. We have had near disasters, but so far only had to wash the towel.
Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom