Using auto battery charger after converter goes bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KerriT

Hello everyone... Let me begin by saying I am a 58 yo woman with major health issues. No one to turn to for advice and can't really afford to pay someone right now. Like everyone, food and gas cost increases have taken what little extra $ I have each month. So please, no rude statements or judgement. This will be a long post (almost a book - I may try to publish it ;-) to attempt to anticipate some of the questions someone might have, so I apologize in advance.

Converter (according to the paperwork that came with my rig) - a WFCO model # WF-8835, 45, 55, 65, or 75 - not able to see the exact # because the converter is basically under the oven - on my 2004 Fleetwood Pioneer travel trailer apparently died yesterday. Around 2 pm I noticed the interior fridge light was off. Amber 'Auto' light near the 'on/off' buttons above fridge was still on as usual. No big deal - I could live without a light for a little while. About 2:30, I noticed the trailer was getting warm. Lowered the thermostat and A/C wouldn't come on. Checked the frig again and could tell it was beginning to defrost. (My Dometic fridge makes little-to-no noise so had not noticed it was off.)

(I do NOT have propane available - had tanks removed because I am severely allergic and have severe asthma so please don't suggest switching fridge to propane. :)

Panic ensued. (Did not think to check control panel inside at this point.) Got in touch with the maintenance man here at the campground (did I mention I'm in Tupelo, MS and it is almost 100 degrees each day?) He was kind enough to come over and check some things - pedastel, breakers, fuses, etc. After about an hour, he called an RV service man he knows. Advised that I use a car battery charger to recharge the battery. Went to Walmart and purchased one for $70. EverStart Maxx 50/15/3 amp. Has a "Smart Charge" function in which the charger selects what needs to be done, but I did not really understand that function at that time. No way to manually change between the amp selections available. (Also says it can jump-start a vehicle, but I digress.)

As soon as we connected the charger, the thermostat got power and A/C came back on and the fridge came back on (could see the light and it began cooling very quickly). Inside control panel showed 4 lights/fully functioning. By this point it was 93 degrees in my trailor. (I don't have a pet so no worries there.)

There is a button on the charger that allows you to select "Battery Reconditioning". This function says it automatically turns off after 24 hours. The maintenance man felt that would be the 3 amp charge and that it would be sufficient to fully charge the battery in 24 hours while keeping the charger from overheating. This was about 6:30 pm.

This morning, before 7 am, I checked my battery indicator on the control panel inside and it was down to 1 light, so battery was losing charge. I checked the fridge and the light was dim. Went outside to check the battery charger which was of course still in 'Reconditioning' mode. Battery indicator still showed charging. Unfortunately, I did not think to check the % gauge before I pressed the 'Charge' button again. After pressing that, it showed approximately 75% on the gauge and after about 2 minutes, the amps went from 14 - 14.1 down to 8 - 8.6 and held steady. Came back in - control panel had 4 lights, fridge light was normal, thermostat worked fine (had not had any issues with it this morning, since it draws so little).

Went back out 1 hour later and the gauge is still only at 75%. Of course, there is a draw because the fridge is on and the A/C has already been running.

One hour after that, gauge still at 75%, showing 8.1 - 8.4 amps. Charging indicator still showing it to be charging. Fridge/thermostat working fine.

I researched the "Smart Charge" function last night and found - if I am understanding it correctly - that I might need to leave the charger in "Charge" mode rather than "Reconditioning". From what I can tell, the "Reconditioning" is not enough if anything is drawing power.

FINALLY... my questions/concerns. Thank you for reading this far!
I am trying to determine if it is safe to leave the charger plugged in overnight on "Charge". Ideally, I would like to recharge the battery fully and then remove the charger for at least a few hours then reconnect it to charge again as needed. My research says my fridge will run from 6 - 10 hours on one battery, so I would have to reconnect it within 3 - 4 hours, I guess, to keep the battery from discharging too far. (I do not use the 12-volt overhead lights AT ALL. As far as I know, the fridge and the thermostat are all that is drawing 12-volt. Carbon detector is disconnected - another long story. Might be some other 'ghost draw' but it wouldn't be much.) I know that it is not an ideal situation, but I simply cannot afford to have the converter replaced at this time and this is the only solution I can devise.

*Do you feel it would damage anything or be unsafe to use the battery charger overnight 'indefinitely' (a few weeks or months) in "Charge" mode if I am careful to disconnect it each day and allow it to cool down fully?
*How long does it typically take a 15 amp charger to get a battery fully charged, or will it ever be fully charged since there is a constant draw from the fridge?
*Could it have damaged my battery (1 year old) so that it will not reach full charge?
*If the charger stays on all night (12 hours or so), will it overheat if full charge is never reached? It is supposed to have an auto shutoff to avoid overheating, but not sure I want to 'test' it.

I welcome and appreciate all helpful comments/questions because I am TRULY out of my comfort zone with this situation. Thank you SO much!!

The Everstart MAXX BC50BE charger you bought will automatically select the needed charge rate depending on the battery condition when "Charge" is selected. And then it will adjust the rate as needed as the battery charges and discharges, similar to 3 or 4 stage RV converters. Likely the biggest effect you may notice is that your lights that are on will noticeably change brightness as the charge rate changes instead of the more subtle changes most converters use. I've done exactly what you're doing with a different but similar brand charger until I could replace the failed converter.

Welcome to the RV Forum Kerri
I 2nd what Dutch said. I have one of those chargers and used it on my boat batteries and it works fine.

It's going to get VERY HOT the next few days so I hope you get it workable quick.

I just bought that same charger in Feburary after going through three other chargers from Harbor Freight. You got lucky on the charger...it's a good one.

I don't use the reconditioning feature at all.

I don't like to charge batteries overnight for safty reasons, If something goes wrong I want to be awake to handle the situation.

I'd suggest running it in the regular charge mode during the day and keep an eye on it.

I've noticed this charger doesn't get too hot like my other ones did but place it somewhere that it gets some air movement if possible.

Do your batteries have water in them and, if so, do you check it every week or so?

The Everstart MAXX BC50BE charger you bought will automatically select the needed charge rate depending on the battery condition when "Charge" is selected. And then it will adjust the rate as needed as the battery charges and discharges, similar to 3 or 4 stage RV converters. Likely the biggest effect you may notice is that your lights that are on will noticeably change brightness as the charge rate changes instead of the more subtle changes most converters use. I've done exactly what you're doing with a different but similar brand charger until I could replace the failed converter.
Thank you, NY_Dutch! That is what I thought from doing the research, but I am so unfamiliar with all of this, I second-guess myself most of the time. I don't use any of my overhead lights - no LED, too hot! I use a couple of lamps instead and it works great. Thank you for sharing your experience with me - I appreciate it!

Welcome to the RV Forum Kerri
I 2nd what Dutch said. I have one of those chargers and used it on my boat batteries and it works fine.

It's going to get VERY HOT the next few days so I hope you get it workable quick.
Thank you, Gizmo100! I appreciate your letting me know that you agree with what Dutch said. So far so good with it in charge mode. I plan to unplug it late this evening and let it cool down completely, then plug it back up just before dark. I hope I'm doing the right thing. Can you believe this heat wave?? Thanks again!

I just bought that same charger in Feburary after going through three other chargers from Harbor Freight. You got lucky on the charger...it's a good one.

I don't use the reconditioning feature at all.

I don't like to charge batteries overnight for safty reasons, If something goes wrong I want to be awake to handle the situation.

I'd suggest running it in the regular charge mode during the day and keep an eye on it.

I've noticed this charger doesn't get too hot like my other ones did but place it somewhere that it gets some air movement if possible.

Do your batteries have water in them and, if so, do you check it every week or so?
Thanks for the comment about the charger - makes me feel more confident about my purchase. Normally, I would agree about overnight charging but I just don't think I have a choice right now. It is getting plenty of circulation and is in the shade during the day, so maybe that will help. Plan to unplug it this evening and let it cool completely then plug back up just before dark.
Water level is good - thank you for the reminder! I admit I do not check it every week, but try to do so at least once a month. Guess I need to do it more often?? Thank you so much for your help!

Thanks for the comment about the charger - makes me feel more confident about my purchase. Normally, I would agree about overnight charging but I just don't think I have a choice right now. It is getting plenty of circulation and is in the shade during the day, so maybe that will help. Plan to unplug it this evening and let it cool completely then plug back up just before dark.
Water level is good - thank you for the reminder! I admit I do not check it every week, but try to do so at least once a month. Guess I need to do it more often?? Thank you so much for your help!
If it'll make you feel more confidant, when I was using the charger as a temporary converter it was on 24 hours a day for about 4 days with no problems.

If you haven't been using much water in the batteries then once a month should be good.

I finally switched to AGM batteries so I don't have to check for water any more.

What they all said, it will likely work for you short term, but does not have has much amp capacity as an actual RV converter, and will likely run hot, and will likely die after some weeks or months of use, where an RV converter may last decades.

If you haven't been using much water in the batteries then once a month should be good.

I finally switched to AGM batteries so I don't have to check for water any more.
I've only added a small amount a couple of times. AGMs are on my 'wish list'. :)

What they all said, it will likely work for you short term, but does not have has much amp capacity as an actual RV converter, and will likely run hot, and will likely die after some weeks or months of use, where an RV converter may last decades.
Thanks for your reply, Isacc-1! I hope it won't be for very long. If I can just keep myself and the food cold until I can get it repaired, I'll be so happy!

Battery chargers aren't power supplies so it may require some manual intervention to use one this way.

Being a "smart" charger it's expecting a battery to behave a certain way to progress through the stages of charging. If you're using the battery at the same time you're charging it, those thresholds may not happen or be properly detected. This is in the everstart manual:

If the battery is not fully charged (the battery charge gauge does not reach 100%) after 18 hours of continuous charging, the battery may have internal damage and will not accept a charge. After 18 hours, the charging process will automatically cut-off, the LCD screen will display the following (the digital readout shows “F04”, the clamp icons, arrow icons, battery icon and the gauge without the
pointer will light solid):

So it would seem whichever condition exists- the battery reaches 100% charge and reverts to float or after 18 hours it gives up trying, you might have to periodically restart the charger into charge mode to get enough current out of it to keep the battery charged and operate the trailer loads.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Battery chargers aren't power supplies so it may require some manual intervention to use one this way.

Being a "smart" charger it's expecting a battery to behave a certain way to progress through the stages of charging. If you're using the battery at the same time you're charging it, those thresholds may not happen or be properly detected. This is in the everstart manual:

If the battery is not fully charged (the battery charge gauge does not reach 100%) after 18 hours of continuous charging, the battery may have internal damage and will not accept a charge. After 18 hours, the charging process will automatically cut-off, the LCD screen will display the following (the digital readout shows “F04”, the clamp icons, arrow icons, battery icon and the gauge without the
pointer will light solid):

So it would seem whichever condition exists- the battery reaches 100% charge and reverts to float or after 18 hours it gives up trying, you might have to periodically restart the charger into charge mode to get enough current out of it to keep the battery charged and operate the trailer loads.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Hi Mark... I saw that in the manual and completely agree with your assessment. I'm hoping that by turning it off at least once a day, allowing it to cool down and reset (if that is the correct term) and then reconnecting, I will be able to limp along for a little while. I plan to unplug it this evening and allow it to sit for an hour or two (if my battery will stay up with the frig drawing from it) and then reconnect it for overnight. Wash, rinse, repeat tomorrow. I'm thinking that if the frig takes the charge down quickly, then I *may* need a new battery. Hope not!! My fridge is supposed to run 6 - 10 hours on one battery and I don't plan to go that long. I have the charger protected but well ventilated so I hope that helps, too..... Thank you so much for your help!

I have a similar charger to yours and last year my converter/charger failed.

I had the battery on "charge" for about 3 months continuously without issue. What should happen is that when your batteries are "full" the charger may go into "float" mode. Some chargers will indicate "FLO" on the "amps" screen.

Once in a while the charger would go off line with an ERR code in the window. I simply unplugged it and plugged it in again to reset.

You should also get some sort of voltmeter that runs on 12V power. Voltage over 12.6 indicates the batteries are charging and below 12.6V they are discharging. If you charger goes off line this would be a clue to that having happened as the voltage will drop.

Do not use battery recondition mode. Basically that is used on a moderately old battery that goes flat quickly. What the mode is supposed to do is completely drain the battery and then recharge it. There is some evidence that cycling a battery to "dead" and recharging it can rejuvenate some of the lead chemical in the battery.

I have a similar charger to yours and last year my converter/charger failed.

I had the battery on "charge" for about 3 months continuously without issue. What should happen is that when your batteries are "full" the charger may go into "float" mode. Some chargers will indicate "FLO" on the "amps" screen.

Once in a while the charger would go off line with an ERR code in the window. I simply unplugged it and plugged it in again to reset.

You should also get some sort of voltmeter that runs on 12V power. Voltage over 12.6 indicates the batteries are charging and below 12.6V they are discharging. If you charger goes off line this would be a clue to that having happened as the voltage will drop.

Do not use battery recondition mode. Basically that is used on a moderately old battery that goes flat quickly. What the mode is supposed to do is completely drain the battery and then recharge it. There is some evidence that cycling a battery to "dead" and recharging it can rejuvenate some of the lead chemical in the battery.
Thank you for your comment, Ex-Calif! I hope that leaving it on recondition last night didn't hurt anything. I should have trusted my gut on that. I was so upset that I was not really thinking clearly - not good. Hopefully no harm done. Everything has gone well today, thankfully. Like I mentioned to some of the other guys, I plan to unplug at least once a day and let it cool down - if that works out. It may be overkill but I'm trying to be cautious. Good advice on the voltmeter - I'll have to look into that. Thank you so much!

Well.. Let me tell you what I did when I came home from Church (Sunday ever try to find RV parts on a Sunday? Don't bother) and found the same thing you found.
I went to Auto Zone instead of Wal*mart and got a Deltran Battery Tender. it's very close to the Everstart you got and works more or less the same way.. Given the amount of battery I had in that rig it took 24 horus before it dropped out of "Charge" into "Tender' mode.. I then headed west and then south (From Davison MI) to Tekonsha Mi.. for the night (Not the original plan but it worked).
That was Monday
Tuesday I took the old converter out (A Progressive 9180 + Wizard) put it in the trunk of my towed and drove back to Marshall (not far away) Old US-27 (The T/A I parked at was at the corner of Old-27/17 mile road and M-60) and Industrial Ave.. Turned left and left again into Progressive Dynamics lot and 236 dollars later left with a brand new Factory Refurb.

But I have to say the Deltran Battery Tender worked very well, Did a great job and your Everstart will very likely do the same

Only thing is this. > Though it drops to "Tender" mode automatically
It will not go back into "Charge" mode automatically.. I had to do that manually a few times.

I no longer have the RV
I still have the Charger however.

According to the manual there is no hazard to using the condition mode, even with a bad battery the worst that will happen is it gives up. It doesn't do any charging in this mode so that would be the downside. The worst I see happening is having to check and restart the charger once a day. If you don't, you'll be reminded by all your stuff quitting as your batteries go flat. Your batteries won't be too happy about this either so it'll just have to be something to do until the converter is replaced. Given the same circumstances I'd be doing the same thing, there's only so many options you have when stuff craps out sometimes.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Well.. Let me tell you what I did when I came home from Church (Sunday ever try to find RV parts on a Sunday? Don't bother) and found the same thing you found.
I went to Auto Zone instead of Wal*mart and got a Deltran Battery Tender. it's very close to the Everstart you got and works more or less the same way.. Given the amount of battery I had in that rig it took 24 horus before it dropped out of "Charge" into "Tender' mode.. I then headed west and then south (From Davison MI) to Tekonsha Mi.. for the night (Not the original plan but it worked).
That was Monday
Tuesday I took the old converter out (A Progressive 9180 + Wizard) put it in the trunk of my towed and drove back to Marshall (not far away) Old US-27 (The T/A I parked at was at the corner of Old-27/17 mile road and M-60) and Industrial Ave.. Turned left and left again into Progressive Dynamics lot and 236 dollars later left with a brand new Factory Refurb.

But I have to say the Deltran Battery Tender worked very well, Did a great job and your Everstart will very likely do the same

Only thing is this. > Though it drops to "Tender" mode automatically
It will not go back into "Charge" mode automatically.. I had to do that manually a few times.

I no longer have the RV
I still have the Charger however.
Hi John! Thank you so much for telling me about your experience. I'm glad you got your problem resolved. Each positive post is making me more comfortable with my situation. If only I could take mine out and replace it, but I don't have the ability to do so. I had read that I would need to restart the charge when it was needed. Great information to have. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom