Using bleach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then why does everyone add the treatments to the black tank
"Everyone" doesn't add "treatments" to the black tank. We've not used anything but water added to our black tank in a dozen years of motorhoming, and lots of folks on this forum will tell you they do the same way- NO chemicals needed.

The only chemicals that have ever been in any of our RVs were from the starter pack from the dealer. I figured it was safer to put them down the toilet than throw them in the trash.

Phosgene gas, also known as mustard gas because of its color, is one of the most dangerous byproducts of bleach. It occurs when bleach comes into contact with ammonia. Ammonia is another common chemical used in cleaning; it is also a component of certain bodily fluids produced by the kidneys, including urine.
Actually it creates Chlorine gas. Type 2

Only issue with no additives in the black tank is those pestering black flies. Those dam flies get into the tank presumably through the vent and eventually make way into the house through the toilet. I have added some Hypochlorite into the tank to see if that stopped the pests and it seemed to have a positive effect. The flies seem to be contingent on the outside temp and what and how much in the tank. I try to dump early to avoid the need but when things fall behind....................

You can pee into a jug of chlorine all day long without worrying about phosgene. It will, however, produce small amounts of chlorine gas and its associated smell and irritation of eyes and nose.

You can pee into a jug of chlorine all day long without worrying about phosgene. It will, however, produce small amounts of chlorine gas and its associated smell and irritation of eyes and nose.

I had a buddy who used to clean his enclosed dog kennel with bleach and wonder why he always had a headache afterwards - LOL...

Phosgene gas, also known as mustard gas because of its color, is one of the most dangerous byproducts of bleach. It occurs when bleach comes into contact with ammonia. Ammonia is another common chemical used in cleaning; it is also a component of certain bodily fluids produced by the kidneys, including urine.
That is a lesson that I learned the hard way, many years ago.
It's not wise to pour much Bleach into a full, or partially full, black tank.

Now that I think about it, Beer, Wine, Rum, Scotch and tap water is the only liquids I put in the black tank. OF COURSE I pass it through me kidneys first for quality control. Haven't had a problem in some 25 years of camping. (Well occasionally I have noticed wobbly steps into the camper late at night)

I had a buddy who used to clean his enclosed dog kennel with bleach and wonder why he always had a headache afterwards - LOL...
I used to clean transmitters using denatured alcohol on a rag and wondered why I felt woozy afterwards. Stopped when I started wearing rubber gloves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom