Utah State Route 95

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pappi49

As some of you may know, I am in the middle of planning a trip out west for this coming summer. My question for all of you is this. Have any of you traveled Utah State Route 95 from Hanksville Ut. to Blanding Ut. and what is it like.

Since this may very well be the last time we get to go west, I want to see as much of the country we travel through as possible. I did find some you tube videos about the drive but it is not always possible to really see what the route is like. My only real concern is steep drop offs with no guard rail as I have a ridiculous fear of heights.

We did manage a trip out west in 2018 and I drove rt. 9 thru Zion and went through the tunnel. The trip down was not my favorite part but I managed. I have learned to just take my time and try not to look down:eek:.

As always, thanks for all your help.

Jayflight

I drove it pulling a 23 foot camper and it was a piece of cake. And what a pretty drive and a lot of places to boondock along the way. However they were working on the bridge and had the road closed down this late summer, [can't really remember the exact time frame] and it was extended the last notice I saw on it. Of course next year it may be different and open. Yes there are some steep hills but not long and extended areas that i was ever worried about,,, Make sure you stop on the Hanksville side after you cross the bridge from BLanding, if you go that direction and spend some time there checking the scenery at the non- dedicated rest area on the left and up on the cliff.

pappi49

Thanks for the reply. A steep hill/grade doesnt bother me as much as drop-offs of the side with out guard rails. Also according to the UDOT, the bridge was re-opened in Oct. I am just guessing we are talking about the same one.

We will be traveling from Hanksville to Blanding but we should be able to stop for awhile. That is basically the only problem I am running into. With the influx of people into rv'ing I am worried about not finding a cg for the night so I am currently making a boatload of reservations. I would love to try boondocking but not sure how the wife would feel about it.

Jayflight

There are plenty of campgrounds in the Hanksville area and heading towards Bryce Canyon. We traveled throughout the Covid fiasco and never booked but two campgrounds in advance. With your size rig I don't think a panic booking needs to take place. First off you don't always know what you may find along the way that can delay you making it a dedicated reservation when you get out west. At least thats been our experience.

That area is pretty far remote from the Moab area and thousands of people that you cannot even turn around in for the throngs of people and campers. There is a great campground and related services in the Blanding area for you to get your bearings.

pappi49

I am still finalizing where we will stay in Moab to visit Arxchs and CanyonLands,we are going to stay at Dukes Slickrock Campground & RV Park to visit Capitol Reef. Since I have not yet made reservations for these two any suggestions would be appreciated. From there we are going to head south east to Blanding via 95 and then to Durango. I am just picking places off of the map to stop at and visit/camp since we will be heading back to Kentucky after Capitol Reef.

Unfortunatly I got a late start in this rv deal and probably will never get to see everything I would like.

RRR

I'll give a shoutout for RV Park, Cabins, and Campground in Moab, Utah | Moab Rim Campark
We stayed there two years ago. It is nothing special, FUH except for one spot IRCC. Price was right. Clean grounds. Traffic noise but not unbearable, I figured we aren't going to be around during the day and night is sorta dead. South of town couple of miles on top of a little hill.

Caretaker is a character, ask about his previous job in LA. His wife was a sweetheart.

Moab Dinner for good hamburgers etc. Moab Grill for decent steak. Maverick gas station at south end of town for decent access and price. Also have a dump station.

Top Bottom