UV filter sizes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I decided I'd better get a UV filter for my the Leica lens on my FZ7 camera. As an interim solution I figured I'd just use a filter off one of my 35mm SLR camera lenses, but that was too large. When I was in a store yesterday, the next smaller size they had was 52mm, but that turned out to be too small. Are there other sizes of filter between 52mm and 55mm?

TIA.

My FZ30 takes a 55 MM filter but my Nikon film camera has a 53MM filter.  You probably need a 53mm.  Take the camera to the store with you. Or trade for the FZ30 and then you will need a 55MM.  ;D ;) :D

Thanks Chet and Ron.

Or trade for the FZ30 and then you will need a 55MM.

That would be a very expensive filter  ;D

Edit:

There's one for every size lens.

Chet - that link has 52mm and 55mm, but nothing in between - same as I saw at the store  ???

Chet18013 said:
Check the step up/down adaptor rings.

Is that a HFWPOH (as in "why didn't I think of that")?

Tom,

I just checked the Nikon F1 and 501 and confirmed the filter s are 52MM not 53 as I thought. The Nikor telephoto is 62MM

Thanks Ron. I have to get to a real photo shop to find the filter I need.

Karl,

I bought the (el cheapo) filter in a sealed package, brought it home, then tried it. It sure was a loose fit. I can't recall if I looked at the side of the filter to see if they'd packaged it incorrectly (i.e. put a smaller filter in the 52mm box). Chris returned it for a refund yesterday and I haven't had a chance to get to a store since.

<I bought the (el cheapo) filter in a sealed package>

IMHO, you shouldn't put a cheap filter in front of a nice Leica lens. You spent a decent amount of $ on your camera, why compromise your lens to save $20? Again, just MHO.

Hi Ken,

Good point. I wasn't trying to save money with the filter, but I was trying to protect the lens from scratches. There are no camera stores in this area, so I bought what was available and it happened to be a cheap one.

Back
Top Bottom