V 10 Tune up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cuervo1

My MH has 105k miles, so a big service due. Do the ignition coils need to be replaced along with the plugs and wires? I hope not after checking the price of those things.

Cuervo1 said:
Yeah; just thought it's time for a tune up and filter and fluid change.

Fluid and filter of course...The plugs are a good idea...My concern would be removing the wires may damaged them. And I'm not sure where the ignition coils are located on the V10..but if you have remove them it would be hard not replace them.

If you are talking about the COP (Coil Over Plug) I would absolutely replace them.  Better now than when you are 1,000 miles from nowhere. 

Arch Hoagland said:
If you are talking about the COP (Coil Over Plug) I would absolutely replace them.  Better now than when you are 1,000 miles from nowhere.

That's my thinking....Not sure of the cost for 10 but it's bound to be less than a tow for class C

Looks like $12 for cheap ones up to $43 for OEM.  Yes, you can pay just about any amount depending on source.  Personally, I would carry 1 or 2 and replace if I had a failure.  Of course it is possible to find or cause damage when you do the spark plugs.

lynnmor said:
Looks like $12 for cheap ones up to $43 for OEM.  Yes, you can pay just about any amount depending on source.  Personally, I would carry 1 or 2 and replace if I had a failure.  Of course it is possible to find or cause damage when you do the spark plugs.

I agree. Typically the coils last a long time and aren't replaced during a tuneup unless they are bad. Also, I would get a couple of brand name replacements as spares rather than the cheapest ones.

I have a Yukon XL, 5.3 L.  Has 160,000 miles, same coils  :)

I think when you replace the plugs, if you have any indication the wires going to them, etc, are showing wear signs, I might reconsider, but standard 100k maintenance, I wouldn't.  Besides, chances are, IF one stared to go bad, it might run like crap, wouldn't leave you stranded by any means. 

I get it with maintenance .....usually. If it was me and I had no signs of plugs needing replacement I'd drive it til it did. Roll of the dice pulling threads out of the head after they've been in there for a 100K. My 2 bits.

I do carry a kit to replace the coil/helicoil/plug for 2 cylinders and have never had the need for it.

Thanks advice and info. I think I'll see what the COP's look like; and if they need to be replaced they willl be OEM as will plugs and filters. Does anyone know how to tell if the PCV valve is heated ($25) or not ($8) I looked but couldn't see it .

If it's a Ford V10 coil pack over each cylinder go on Amazon the whole set shouldn't cost you no more than $45 by the plugs depending on the year of the truck if you could let me know some of the plugs break off in the cylinder and you have to buy the extractor which is $75 it sounds bad but it's actually a very easy job

Well yeah the last two on the firewall can be a little bit of a pain but the best thing to do is warm the vehicle up to about a quarter ease it out  till she comes out most of the time the plugs won't break

Back
Top Bottom