Vacuum Cleaner for Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi to you all!

We have a 30-foot travel trailer, and I'm trying to make a decision on a vacuum cleaner that I can purchase to use on the carpeting.  I would want the vacuum to be small, possibly with a telescoping handle, so it will be out of the way (possibly under the bed).  Does anybody have a good suggestion?

Thanks!
Kristin

Hi Kristin,

My wife has gone through several vacs trying to find one she likes. So far the Sanyo Transformax has been the one she has kept the longest. :) It isn't telescoping but the main vac detaches from the handle, which has a turbo brush. Does a decent job and it easy to tuck away. It can be used as a hand vac when necessary. Even I don't mind using it. ;D

Hi Jim:

Well, if you are willing to do some vacuuming, this mechanical wonder must have merit  ;D .

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look at this model next time my husband and I are looking at vacuums.

Kristin

Personally.. I'd consider a "Centeral vac" system. for Motor homes and trailers it's not very expensive (As opposed to a house instalation) as there is usually only one outlet inside the trailer

We have a number of house vaccumes, including an Oreck and an Electrolux.. plus one shop vac, the shop vac is the one in the MH, though frankly.. It's too big (We put it under the rig when camping)  I may leave it in the house when we sell (since some of it's features are only useful in a house) and get a smaller unit for the MH (Or a centeral)  Shop vacs often have larger, more powerful, motors which can be of great value when a lot of dirt gets tracked in.. the problem is size (There are few places in the MH where I can put it upright, a few more on it's side.  Smaller units would fit in many places.... I have one that's battery operated too, fits in many places the big one wont't

We have a little 12V hand "automobile" vacuum that works really great.  Of course, we don't have that much carpet in the 26' TT.  But even if we did have more carpet, I think we'd keep this for touch-ups.  We'd have to see about a bigger on once we got a bigger RV with more carpeting.  But for now, this little hand-held 12V does great!

We use the small hoover.  I forget the model number. The handle doesn't telescope down, but it has a rotating brush and beater bar and is small and light weight and stores in the corner of the closet. We have had it for several years and it does a good job.

Dave

We have a small, inexpensive, Shark vacuum.  It has a fold down handle and a removable handle and is battery powered.  it takes a about 4-5 hours to recharge, just plug in its transformer, and your good to go.  It is quite compact.  I think we got ours at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

We had a Shark (bought it at Sears) in our previous RV. Was a good machine but when we got our new coach it had the central vacuum which we like much better. Suction is about the same but the centralk vac is much easier to use...just hook up the hose. Based on experience with both, I'd go for the central vacuum (available from Camping World) which is a Dust Devil central. Ours is installed in the basement but one can be installed anywhere there is room (cabinet, under bed, under dinette, etc.)

Hi All who responded!

Thank you for all the suggestions.  We actually looked at some of the suggestions the last time we were out looking, but we weren't sure at the time if they would be a good pick.

Kristin

I'll cast another vote for the Sanyo Transformax. We've had ours for about 5 years now and it performs well and stores in a fairly small space (or even a couple small spaces, since it comes apart).

A central system is a viable alternative. The RV size is small and light and you just have to find room for the hose. It's fairly lengthy, though.

The biggest downside to a central vacuum system in an RV is the hose will be 15' to 20'  long, unless it has an outlet near both ends of the coach, which will take more space to store than some of the vacuum cleaner such as the one Gary mentioned.

I miss the central vac we had on the old Pace Arrow. Took up relatively little space (including the hose) and didn't have to lift the bed (while the missus is still sleeping), rummage around and drag the thing out. We now have two "portable" vacs on board, one that has a telescoping handle and is only used for main floor areas, the other is a Shark, complete with shoulder strap, that works for smaller/more confined areas. The floor vac doesn't have the flexibility of doing stuff the Shark does. Neither one does a satisfactory job and, every time we get home, out comes the vac from the house.

RV Roamer said:
I'll cast another vote for the Sanyo Transformax. We've had ours for about 5 years now and it performs well and stores in a fairly small space (or even a couple small spaces, since it comes apart).

A central system is a viable alternative. The RV size is small and light and you just have to find room for the hose. It's fairly lengthy, though.

Gary,

If I remember correctly it's Nancy's fault we have the Sanyo. ;D

I've seen a lot of central vacs in the new Allegros. Usually the outlet is located in the center of the coach but the hose still has to be pretty long. I'd have to give up outside bay space for the hose which I'm not willing to do. ;D

One thing I failed to mention about the Oreck.  It comes with as a set with a compact stand up vacuum, also a separate carrying vaccuum for tight areas, and an Iron.  Do not know why they include an iron, but the Admiral was elated with it and threw away her old iron.  ;D

Another nice thing about Oreck is that just about every town as an Oreck store and they are terrific people.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom