Vacuum recommendations, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cuts_up

I want a small vacuum for my mh carpeted floors that really works.  Do you have one you love?  Cordless and rechargeable might be nice, but I've owned one and it didn't have much suction.  A stick vacuum that doesn't take up much space would be great if it does a good job.

Vaccuum  floors  Never heard of it.  Good ole broom and shovel, then hose it out.  Dry it then with the aircompressor hose.  OH  Sorry  you're talking about  NH  not a cabin for hunting.  I got the Dirt  Thread and this thread mixed up.

I wasn't a believer in rechargeable vacuums/cleaners either, until my wife bought a Swiverl Sweeper. Not a vacuum per se, but does a decent job of picking stuff off carpets. Of course, it doesn't help with cleaning furniture or blinds.

We have tried three different vacs including a Eureka Whirlwind and a Shark. None of them worked very well in our opinion.
A week or so ago I took the Eureka into a Vacuum sales and repair shop and told him I wanted something a lot better and still small since it was for a motor home. He tested the suction and the airflow on the Eureka (said the airflow is more important than the suction) and came up with a Superfast 500 Vacuum made by Schneider Industries in California. It has 85 inches of water lift and 115 cubic feet of airflow. That was over twice what the Eureka had and over three times what the Shark had. It' pricey (list is $199) I paid about $130 for it - but it does a heck of a job. I also bought a vacuum powered carpet brush head that cost another $38 and unlike the one that came with the Shark, it is hard to slow down.
It's small: Weight = 4.5 pounds, Dimensions =7?x12.5?x4.5? but powerful and comes with the usual attachments.
Vacuum shops carry them but I haven't seen them at the mass merchandisers like Target or Walmart.
The web site is HERE if you are interested.

I've been looking at the Swivel Sweeper online.  On tv it looks like it does a decent job getting bigger stuff up, but since it's not really a vacuum, I don't know how it works for getting the dirt and dust out of the carpet. 

The Super FastVac 500 may be great, but I have my Oreck canister vac in the mh now, and if I'm going with a canister I might as well keep using the one I have.  It does do a good job.  I like the idea of having a canister so I can use it for blowing up floats too.  But since I keep it in an outside compartment, it's not very convenient. 

DECISIONS! DECISIONS!  Now I need to decide if I want to get the Swivel Sweeper to use for casual floor cleaning, then drag out the Oreck for major cleanups after a trip to the beach or after tracking in lots of dirt and dust, or whether I should just find a spot inside the mh to store the Oreck so I will use it more often.

Thanks for your input!

My wife even uses a Swivel Sweeper at home for a quick in-between cleanup of carpets and tile areas.

I have an older Dirt Devil upright that is lightweight and easy to store in an RV.  It's regular 110 v electric and has good suction.  The main disadvantage is it's really noisy.  I bought it after I observed a construction worker vacuuming up wood chips with a handheld Dirt Devil.  He said it was the best one he had ever used.  I've been pleased with mine, but it is old and I don't know if they make the uprights anymore.

ArdraF

cuts_up said:
I want a small vacuum for my mh carpeted floors that really works.  Do you have one you love?  Cordless and rechargeable might be nice, but I've owned one and it didn't have much suction.  A stick vacuum that doesn't take up much space would be great if it does a good job.

Howdy, Cuts UP.

I agonized over this same problem but decided to keep my Eureka canister that has a power brush. It has various attachments and will vacuum bare floors as well as carpets.

It served me well in my previous motorhome and does well in my present coach. Good luck. :D

Liz

I gave up and installed a Dirt Devil RV Vacuum in the bay with an outlet in the bathroom near the refer.  It has a long hose and we can reach everyehere inside.  Seems to do a creditable job on floors, carpets and uphostery.  At least Pat does'nt complain anymore!  VBG

We like the Sanyo Performax, which is usable as a cannister style vac or a handheld.  Have had ours for years and it performs well. Have also recommended it to others who seem happy with it.  Has a powered head for carpets and the usual vac accessories.  Sanyo Performax 3-in-1

Ardra,
I have an older Dirt Devil upright that is lightweight and easy to store in an RV.  It's regular 110 v electric and has good suction.  The main disadvantage is it's really noisy.
You and Jerry didn't see it, but Champ Car, (Indy Car) brings their own Dirt Devil to the track to clean it up. It looks just like a Dirt Devil vacuum, but is actually a truck mounted jet engine that blows any debris off the track. You're right - it makes one helluva racket!! ;D

Ned:

Do you have a Roomba?

That product has fascinated me for years but I have never seen it work.  Looks like it might be ideal for a motorhome, if the cat and dog will leave it alone.

No, we don't have a Roomba but it should work in an RV.  With any luck, it'll eat the animals :)

Ned,

A friend of ours has a Roomba, but she also has two dogs.  She says she has to dismantle and clean  the thing every time she uses it because the dog hair clogs it up.

She needs to get a non-shedding dog :)  Sasha would probably be eaten by the Roomba, but she doesn't shed.

actually a truck mounted jet engine that blows any debris off the track

Karl, now THAT's a vacuum cleaner!  Wish I had seen one.  :D

ArdraF

I just got a Roomba. Works as advertized and only gets hung up on the bathroom rug. So I only have to remember to pick up one thing before starting it. It is somewhat quieter than regular vacuums, but I plan to be asleep or gone when using it to avoid putting up with the noise.

About Dec 5:
Tried out my new roomba robot vacuum cleaner tonight. It handles the RV quite well. Its sensors recognize the steps and don't fall over the edge. It is quite gentle when it bumps into my bare foot. I plan to have it do its thing after I go to bed most of the time. The collection bin contained an impressive amount of debree!

A week later, I did set it off as I went to bed and it hit every where and found its way home to the charging station.

Back
Top Bottom