Vent-a-hood question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, if the vent hood and hood light do not work on shore power, they will not work with a battery hooked up....correct?
Assuming your 12v converter is working, Yes. And the fact that you have functioning 12v lighting says that it is.

But I got the impression they wires to the vent fan were not connected and you only used an AC voltmeter to test them.

Ok so to clarify, my 12v tester is packed away in a box buried under many more. Everything in the RV works with shore power including the lights and 12v slide motor EXCEPT the vent hood/light. I pulled it off to paint thinking I would need to replace it.

OK got my Greystone CXW-30-CZ01 hood in and the wiring colors are confusing me. The instructions say the red is positive and the white is negative, but there is no white at all. There's a red, a black and a green/yellow wire. The 12v power coming to the v ent hood area is typical black and white.
How do I wire it? I figure two leads go to the black to power the fan and light, but which two?

My guess from reading the manual is that Black from the trailer (positive +, verify with a meter) connects to red on the hood........... and white from the trailer (negative -, verify with a meter) connects to the black on the hood. The green /yellow is an earth ground (ALWAYS) and kinda looks like the drawing in the instructions shows it connected to ground also (white from the trailer).

Charles

I know green is always ground but never have seen a two color ground...that said looks like it is since it is attached on top by a screw and does not enter the light or fan box. Thanks for the color clarification!

It is much more slim than the original!

Attachments

• 94772C2F-9E04-4869-8018-7B1851272650_1_105_c.jpeg
    94772C2F-9E04-4869-8018-7B1851272650_1_105_c.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 4
On the trailer side USE YOUR VOLTMETER for the colors may be reversed
ON the Vent hood side RED is positive
Green on the hood is usually ground (Look it is likely rivited to the metal of the hood)
The remining color is negative.
On a 12 volt device you can connect the Ground to negative or any known Ground point/lead or leave it (Cut it off) on a 120 volt hood you ground it.

Here's the new battery setup ready to go. I bridged the two small battery wells together with a wooden platform, then mounted the battery box. It's a large deep cycle. I didn't know the system would automatically charge the battery. Is it like a trickle charger?
Yes, basically.

Here's the new battery setup ready to go. I bridged the two small battery wells together with a wooden platform, then mounted the battery box. It's a large deep cycle. I didn't know the system would automatically charge the battery. Is it like a trickle charger?

There are basically a few different types of chargers
Rapid chargers hit the 12 volt battery bank with as much as 20 or more volts to push amps in there like going out of style (Very hard on deep cycle batteries) some can push 100 amps into a 12 volt battery. These are designed to work for like 30 minutes or less for a quick charge on your STARTING batteries. (And if they need that kind of charge good chance they need replacement).

Trickle chargers are just a few amps.. but they never stop (not good long term)
Smart chargers are amazing Most modern RV converters are smart chargers.
These monitor both voltage and current and may even shut off briefly to measure "Static" voltage. They adjust their output from 14.6 to 13.6 (or there about) Depending on the state of charge of the battery. They can easily push 80 amps into the battery bank. or slow down to 8 or even (13.6 volt) Just balance so that in theory NO current flows in the battery.
And that's the kind you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom