ventless washer/dryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie

I just used my washer/dryer and I have a few questions.

Since it's ventless (UGH!!!!) I am assuming it uses the pump to pump out the moisture from clothing during the drying cycle. Needless to say, my hubby isn't happy about this. He doesn't want to overwork the pump. He wants to install a vent. If he does install a vent, (our W/D can be converted) will the pump still run? Has anyone else done this conversion? I don't want him to do all of this work and still have the same problem. Thank you for any help you can give me. ;D

I'm not sure what pump you are talkin about

Most washers have a recirculating pump that pumps water through a filter, it also pumps water OUT of the tub at the end of the wash cycle, and during the spin cycles.  It is off during the dry cycle

Ventless dryers work by getting the cloths HOT so that when you take them out of the dryer they dry off quickly, they do not really dry cloths at all, they come out hot and wet.  Vented dryers do dry them, they blow hot air over them and exhaust the moisture to the outside of your rig... IN the dessert you might want to re-route the exhaust INSIDE for the humidity but here in Michigan it goes out doors

In addition to Ron's question about the make and model of the waher, what make and year is your coach?

Thanks to those who responded. My husband did a little more research and unfortunately has found out that the washer/dryer is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.
We have a brand new Forest River Cherokee Park Model 38BS. Love it-except for the washer/dryer. It is a Majestic, model MJ9900. My hubby found out that it is a wicking dryer. It heats the drum, which heats the clothes. It pulls in cool water to cool the drum, then wicks the condensation away. That is why our fresh water pump is running while the dryer is on.
We called who we ordered the RV from (RVDirect.com) and they don't want to do much of anything. What makes me mad is that we inquired about the washer/dryer when we ordered the RV. We asked if it was ventless and we couldn't get any info about the product, not even the brand. We had said that we wanted one with a vent but we were told it is what it is. When we called Majestic, we found out that the dryer with the vent is the same amount of money. If we want it all we have to do is send ours back and they will ship us the one we want. The shipping is about $150 each way. I think RVDirect should have a little more product information. I just think they didn't want to take the time to put another hole in the side of the RV.
So the new questions are: Has anyone found a water pump that is quieter than the standard pump you get with your RV? The pump we have is 45psi. Also, has anyone installed water pressure tanks to improve their RV's water pressure? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. :D

Debbie,

Did you get any of this in writing or was it in telephone conversations?  You may consider contacting the manufacturer to see if they are willing to help in the switch.

It may not be what will please you to hear, but based on the experience of others faced with this situation, if you have the opportunity to switch machines, even if it involves some cost, I would propose it's worth it.  Most people don't like ventless machines and the overwhelming majority of RVers choose vented machines.

A ventless machine restricts your operating options, depending on how the plumbing is done.  In many cases you need to be hooked up to a sewer in order to use your ventless machine and the drying appears to be less efficient.

My suggestion would be to try hard to get the dealer or manufacturer to subsidize the switch and if they are not willing, pay the shipping and enjoy your machine for years to come.

Debbie:

Regarding your water pump, 45psi is about normal, you can purchase a variable flow pump that keeps up the flow with increased demand but they are fairly expensive.

The tanks are designed to eliminate on/off pulsation of the pump, not increase pressure. They basically provide a charge of air to absorb the pulses and smooth out water flow.  Make sure one isn't already installed in your system before buying.

Thank you for the information! We think we are going to swap it out. We are trying to find a dealer that carries the machine. Anyone know of a distributor in the Adirondack Park region? We are on Lake Sacandaga. Thanks again! :)

Debbie,

I had a Kariba ventless w/d and replaced it with a Splendide vented model when it started having problems.
Ventless dryers work by getting the cloths HOT so that when you take them out of the dryer they dry off quickly, they do not really dry cloths at all, they come out hot and wet.
Not so, John. It does indeed dry clothes by heating them and then condensing the moisture by passing cold water over the outside of the drum. The condensed water and the cooling water is then pumped into your grey water tank by the machine's pump. It uses quite a bit of water to do this, and the clothes are never completely dry, but close to it. I don't know of any w/d that can be converted from ventless to vented; it must be replaced and a 3" or 4" hole drilled thru the wall of the coach for the louvered vent.

Karl,

Do you remember where you ordered your new washer from? My husband has called around and no one seems to carry the wsher/dryer combo. They carry the stackables.

Thanks
Debbie

Ron and Debbie,

The Westand website does not list dealers for RV applications, unfortunately..they tell you to contact a local RV dealer.

However the Contact Us link on theri website gives the corporate phone number where Debbie may wish to call.

Back
Top Bottom