Verizon automatic mailbox message-dialer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerArdra

1/12/2006

All you folks but especially Rom Ruward and Terry Brewer,

This may be old info but I just discovered how to automatically dial, stop of the mesage recording, and automatically enter the mailbox passcode whenever I access my messages.  For the record, we use Verizon and have Motorola phones (T-720/30 and V-276).

First, instead of dialing your phone number you use *86 to call your mailbox.  Then you enter pause codes which are the letter p.  Then the symbol # will stop your message playback, and following that you put your private mailbox passcode XXXX.

So, instead of using your phone number to access your messages you use the following string:  *86ppp#pXXXX

*86 dials Verizon
ppp inserts 3 short pauses (you may need only 2 or possibly 4 pauses but three works for me)
# stops your message playback
p inserts one more pause
XXXX is your personal mailbox passcode

Furthermore, I named this call,  AAA Jerry's Msgs.  By naming it AAA Jerry's Msgs it is the first listing in my phone book so when I access my phone book it is ready to be dialed and all I have to do is press the dial button.  The rest is automatic.

You can, with great difficulty, enter the letter p and # symbol using your cell phone but it is MUCH easier to use you phonebook manager.  Read your phone book into your PC and use the keyboard to set up a new entry named AAA Jerry's Msgs (your name goes in place of mine) and enter the dial string *86ppp#pXXXX. 

Also, don't forget to drag and drop this new phone number dialer to position one (first item in your phone book).  Finally, read the phone book back into your phone.

It works great.

JerryF

You just discovered this? :) We've been doing this for years.  Speed dial 1 is the voice mail number and that's all I have to press to retrieve voice mail.

This works on both our Verizon and Cingular phones (both Nokia).

Ned,

If I remember correctly Nokia explains how to do it. I just got the V325 and it has no mention of this possibility.

Jerry,

Thanks!!! I just spent some time trying to figure out how to do it on the Motorola. I had it working on the Nokia but couldn't find it on the V325.

Added: On the V325 all you have to do to enter the pause is go into the options menu from the number editor and select pause. I entered 3 pauses but it was too long. Went back to one and it works OK.

Jim,

I decided that if a Person has a short message 3 or more pauses may be too long.  It's best to be brief.  Mine almost goes over so I switched back to 2 pauses.  BTW, there was NO mention of this ability in my Motorola V-276 manual either.

JerryF

Ned,

On my MOT V-276 if I hold down the 1 key it will start the dialing but Ardra's MOT T-720 will not do this so I decided not to add the auto start speed dial in this discussion.  On my V-276 if you can remember who is in position 1-9 you can auto start the call just like when you press and hold the 1 key.  It's new to me but probably old to seasoned Verizon users.

JerryF

My point was you could always program the voice mail sequence in any phone that supports sending touchtones after dialing.  Every phone I've owned has been able to do that.  Of course, Nokia makes it easy by preassigning the 1 key for VM speed dial.  All you have to do is program the VM number as you did.  I don't think my Nokia manuals describe the exact procedure, but I had been doing it for so long, I just programmed it as soon as I got the phones.

Of course, if anyone should get ahold of your phone they could then access your voice mail without knowing your PIN number.

On the LG-6100 the procedure is a little different. Start by entering a new contact number starting with *86, then enter your pauses thusly: press the right soft key (the one directly above the pwr/END key). it will display a small menu with the options of 1 for a hard pause or 2 for a 2-second pause. Select the 2 option and press OK. Repeat this for additional pauses - I use 3. Then enter your key, followed by the "#" key, then store the number giving it any name you like. Next create a speed-dial entry by selecting the speed-dial number you wish to use, press OK, then select from the contact list automatically displayed, the name you stored your *86----- number under. That's it. 

JerArdra said:
On my MOT V-276 if I hold down the 1 key it will start the dialing but Ardra's MOT T-720 will not do this so I decided not to add the auto start speed dial in this discussion.  On my V-276 if you can remember who is in position 1-9 you can auto start the call just like when you press and hold the 1 key.  It's new to me but probably old to seasoned Verizon users.

Jerry,

My T-720 does the one number dialing just fine.  I have 8 frequently dialed numbers programmed into keys 1 through 8.

Phil

Phil,

You're right.  I was just doing it wrong with Ardra's T-720.

Thanks,
JerryF

Ned said:
Of course, if anyone should get ahold of your phone they could then access your voice mail without knowing your PIN number.

Ned, 

That's no problem.  The NSA records all my calls anyhow and the Presiden has given them authorization to phone tap me without a warrant.

JerryF

The NSA probably records all of our calls these days.  Good thing we can trust them :)

If I use *86 on Verizon I do not get my box when roaming. Using the phone number plus pause works everywhere.

The *86 only works on the Verizon network, I believe.  I just programmed the actual phone number so it works on extended network as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom