Verizon vs Cable Modem vs Mifi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sheltie

I just got a letter from Verizon informing me that they are increasing my monthly rate again.  I'm getting tired of this.

In addition to Verizon, my area also has Suddenlink (cable, phone and internet).  I'm leaning to transferring my internet to them but am interested in getting info from users regarding mifi.  My wife and I use the net for browsing, internet and the occasional movie (NetFlix, Amazon, etc).  Not overly heavy users.  I'd like to get info from users of mifi how they like it, would they recommend it, what kind I should get, what is the capacity )?), etc.  In short, should I get it or Cable modem to stay with Verizon?  Any suggestions or alternatives would be appreciated.

Sheltie:

All your ideas work except Mifi cannot handle much video streaming without exceeding your monthly allowance and getting very expensive. One movie can use up almost a month's usage unless you happen to be in an area with unlimited Mifi plans. (Verizon does not have any.)

We have our Netflix account activated while we are parked in AZ during the winter but cancel it when we hit the road in May.

Anytime you have a choice of cable or DSL over cellular, take the cable or DSL.  Not only are the data caps higher (or even unlimited) the speeds are better especially if you're in a 3G cellular area.  Usually costs less too.

I love my Verizon Wireless Mifi and mine is only a 3g version. I also use a friend's 4g Mifi at times and the 4g is even better (where 4g is available). But as Ned says, cable or DSL is cheaper per GB than cellular data and better performing in most cases as well, especially for large transfers such as movies (or Windows updates or GPS maps or...). For the usage you described, most any wired internet access is going to be superior in both performance and cost. The benefit of the Mifi is portability more-so than price.

Is the "Verizon" you mentioned in the opening paragraph the landline company or Verizon Wireless? Two different corporations, though they have some common ownership. If the landline company, the internet service you now have is probably DSL rather than cable. Did they raise your voice (phone) rate, internet service rate, or both?

Is cable tv available in your area? If so,  there is probably internet access available through them as well.

If you are considering options for your home, cable (in general) is the way to go in my opinion.  I have many small business accounts and have been setting up networks for 25 years and in general cable is more reliable in has performance.  However comparing the package bundles with phone and television included can be a daunting and detail oriented process.

We have our phones with Verizon Wireless, consumer cable television with Comcast (which is terrible in our area), and a Comcast business account for internet (which is pricey but fantastic in regards to performance, tech support, and on-site service).  I once had a Comcast internet tech replacing their defective cable modem on a Sunday night less than four hours after my call.

Each local area is different in terms of service and exact package options will also differ by area.

The worst service where I live is through Fairpoint and their DSL internet.  Their technicians have yet (in my experience) to properly set up their own equipment, let alone a third party router, and internet performance never seems to live up to their customer expectations.

I highly recommend speaking with friends and neighbors about their experiences in your area before finalizing any decision.

I have the cable modem at home with a router for in-home wifi. We only stream movies at home. On the road in the RV, we use whatever free wifi is available and, if wifi is unavailable, the Verizon 4g 4510 Mifi. We don't stream movies, etc in the RV..instead we use the DVD player. Streaming uses too much bandwidth and is discourteous to other wifi users. I usually carry the mifi in my laptop case...comes in handy when bored out of my skull while waiting for herself shopping endlessly, anywhere where there is no wifi like doctor's office, auto repair, etc. That's where the battery operated mifi is handy.

We now have Virgin Mobil Broadband To Go in our home and plan on taking it across the US next summer. It's pay as U go and here at home we are in a 4G area so we get unlimited service which is great.So far we are happy with it .I know that most places we will only be able to get 3G coverage but we are willing to give it a try. This past summer on our trip to Canada we used a Verizon Tablet with hot spot capabilities and with the exception of the area around Sandy's wrath on the way home it worked good and it only had 3G coverage.The thing I like best about Pay as You Go is there is no contract to commit to.....Alan

Alan, is the Virgin Mobile Broadband to go the one that is sold by Walmart? As far as I know that is the only prepaid mobile broadband around. I would love to hear of your experience with this. How many MB do you buy and how long does it last? Have you used it with Skype?

Thanks for any info.

Elly

I just spent several hours over the weekend writing an article on my blog about RV Internet and Mobile WIFI. Maybe it will give you some ammo for making your decision. I hope it helps!

Very interesting, thanks.  I've bookmarked your blog.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natalihu
Back
Top Bottom