Very loud furnace.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elibrown

Hello everyone.
New to the class A world but not new to camping. Thanks for having me on your forum. We have a 2022 Thor Miramar 35.2. I have been watching and learning quite a bit on this forum for a few months.

We had to break down and kick the furnace on this past weekend in southeastern Indiana. It seemed excessively loud. You could hear the fan kick on a few seconds before. Fan sound seemed as it should, but when the furnace kicked on, it was extremely loud. This sound level is nothing like my TT's. I do realize that on our floor plan, the furnace is right underneath our bedroom and that would make it louder than normal, but I could not sleep at all when its engaged. The noise to me just sounds like an over fueled forced air heater. It is a constant blowing/humming noise that is even louder on the outside of the motorhome. I let it warm up a bit and ended up turning off do to not wanting to disturb the neighbors. Since I could not sleep, I went outside to see how loud it was and I was embarrassed as I am sure I woke everyone up withing three to four spots of me in all direction.

Please tell me that this is not normal and there is an easy fix!

I was camp hosting at the north rim of the Grand Canyon. One night at about 4am some tent camper came pounding on my door screaming (yes, really screaming) about my generator that was cycling on and off. I didn't know what he was talking about (as I was hooked to shore power) until the furnace kicked on and he shouted, "SEE, THERE IT IS!".
I told him, "Sir, that's my furnace, not my generator, and since it's 31 degrees outside, I'm not turning it off."
I did get a 1-star review from him, but when the owner of the company saw the review and asked me what happened, he was okay with me keeping warm at night.

Some are just loud, while I was working in Yellowstone I had workcampers, and one of the campers complained to me about the next door furnace, I think he described it as a jet engine or a blast furnace. It was definitely loud, but nothing could be done. I don't know if it is the installation style or brand or what, because they are not all that way.

In addition to a coolcat heat pump , we have a smaller heater in our pop-up with a 12v fan to use when there is no shore power. I was surprised at its volume.

Like @Old_Crow, I don’t want to ruin someone‘s else’s camping, but if its cold, its on. We have blankets and like to sleep cooler, so I turn it down to high 50’s to run fewer cycles and save some battery.

Fan sound seemed as it should, but when the furnace kicked on, it was extremely loud.
It is very difficult to analyze the volume of the burner when we do not hear it. Propan heat sources can be loud as I have heard quite a range in sound levels. It might be a good ideal to take it back to the dealer and have it checked, just to be sure that it doesn't have a problem.

As far as I can tell, the furnace doesn't have any adjustment for the propane to air mixture, unlike the water heater where you can adjust the primary air by moving the slide tube. When I had my heater out, I couldn't even see if it was possible to adjust the burner pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom