very new--still deciding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacksmom

Just can't weed out the RIGHT MH for just two of us or me alone, small but not a B, comfortable and reliable over lots of storage and place for guests.  We like the slightly older and affordable Trek but worry about reliability.  Now focusing on Lexington, Winnebago View or Sightseer. Any help is appreciated.

We have a 28' Sightseer (replaced a 24' Class C).The A has one slideout, lots of storage, and is a nice fit for the 2 of us (plus the large hairy child) and it fit our budget. Not so great for guests...the dinette folds down into a bed that fit my 5'3" sister just fine when she visited but she wouldn't have wanted to share it with anyone. Maybe 2 kids would fit ok. The MH is small enough to fit in 2 parking spaces and we can get into almost any park, including the National Park Service sites we enjoy visiting. We bought it in November 2004 and so far the only trouble we've had is the power steering unit needing to be replaced while in Ohio on this trip...still under warranty so cost us nothing but a day sitting in their air conditioned waiting room and a night in their electric hookup site. We're very happy with it.

Sounds like a 26-28 foot Class A would be ideal for you.  You get more usable space and much more storage in a Class A than a similar length C or B.  Besides the models mentioned, there are the Fleetwood Terra, Fiesta & Storm models and the Tiffin Allegro 28.  A Winnie Sightseer would be a fine choice, though ( or its Itasca twin).

Perhaps folk can offer us insight on the negotiating process on new and used RVs.  is it like buying a car, with posturing and haggling?  What discount can we expect on a new Winnebago that MSRP for about $85K, the dealer says we can get it for about $71K but how/where do we go from there? 
What about used.  How to best 'deal.'

A neighbor is selling a 2006 winnebago sightseer 29R with 2000 miles (he died just after it was delivered) and asking $87--it MSRP is about $98-100K, so how do we figure what she paid and what is reasonable to pay for a (granted very gently) used RV?

On entry level rigs like that you should be able to get about 20% off MSRP from some dealers. Some, e.g. the smaller, local guys,  will not go that deep, though. 15% should be readly achievable.

For a used rig, check the NADA RV price guide:  NADA Guides  and offer low retail or a bit less.  Once the rig went off the lot, it depreciated tremendously, so what she payed for it is irrelevent.

We bought our Winnebago Sightseer 27C new. It retailed for $75,000; we paid $56,000. It was an '04 and we bought it at a time when they were getting ready to take delivery of '05s and wanted the '04s off the lot. Just like cars, if you buy a new car that's last year's model when they dealers are getting in the new year models, you can get really good deals.

we have our view for 1 yr. We have had some probs but never been stuck...winnebago is very cool if you get to iowa....it me the wife and the dog who is the size of an 8 y/o...the coach may be considered entry but it is well appointed and has all the gadjets....consistantly gets 17/18mpg. Mechanically it rocks....once u use it a few times you settle in and are as comfy as can be. I am big 6,2 260 no probs...23 foot allows me to go where others cant....I believe you want a bigger one because you do but this is sufficient ....I have spent months in it at a time.....we are on a 2 month journey to the west coast and all points in between.......all in all it rocks.....

www.fatpete.com

HI. I don't know what your budget is for a MH. After much research I decided on a Winnebago Chieftain 22 ft Class A. I would have taken any Chieftain, Brave, or Warrior in the 22 to 27 ft range. They are just easier to get around in. If you look around on ebay and RVtraderonline, etc., you can find nice 1986 to 1990 models with under 70 miles for $5,000 to 7,000.  They are well made RV's and hold their value well.  If I had the money, I really wanted a 1990 to 1995 model with under 50K miles. These are going for $8,000 to 15,000 depending on size and model with options. Hope this helps. Don't buy anything until you are sure it's for you.  Look at several kinds first.
Thanks

From first-hand experience I would say this...Unless you are prepared to spend time, effort and money on a 'used'  MH - no-matter how well cared for, consider buying new.  However, even 'new' will have problems. You basically have to be pretty 'handy' to own and operate any MH, no matter what size, make or model.  Mine - brand spanking new -  has been in the shop for the best part of a month trying to get the refrig. to work.  A new unit was shipped out from Norcold, (which took 10 days) only to arrive damaged and we now await yet another delivery.

Having said that...Consider a 28-29' Class C.  I liked the floorplan of the Dutchman/FourWinds etc. 28A  which will sleep eight - if some are little kids -  reasonably comfortably, The 'island Q size bed is nice and it has reasonable storeage throughout. It fits well for when its just me and the Missus and works with the kids and grandkids all together.

If you purchase new or used  from a reputable dealer, preverably one with its own service dept and reasonably close to your home, -  though I appreciate there will be a price mark-up (Vs private purchase) -  you should always have some warranty, written or good-faith, to effect any necessary repairs, certainly within the first year if not longer.  If you go the private party route be prepared to wait in line at service depts. to get work done, even though it may be covered under warranty.  Furthermore any warranty work on any house component, i.e. refrig., generator, plumbing etc. may require being attended to by an 'authorized dealer' who may be inconvieniently located.  You certainly save money buying 'private party used' but you are basically on your own after that.

Just my .02c worth...Good luck with your decision.

Buying new is not a solution for time/cost of fixing and maintaining an RV.  All that does is give you a warranty for awhile so you can get "free" repairs.  If you can't/won't do it yourself, you buy an extended warranty for  auysed Rv just as well as for a new one.

And maintenance is an ongoing expense whether the Rv is new or used.

Roamer, this is a little off-topic, but certainly should be taken into consideration when purchasing an RV (new of used).? I fully agree, maintenance is an on-going issue.? In that regard,  a lot of RV owners are, for a variety of reasons, unwilling or unable to take care of even small problems.? Big issues (i.e. swapping out/replacing generator/fridge etc.) are out of the question for most and any manufacturer's warranty may be voided is not installed by an authorized dealer.? Typically, the older the rig, the greater liklehood of issues/repairs.? I have experienced that, even if the 'repair' is being done under warranty (no cost to the RV owner), you are likely to have an extended repair time by taking the rig to an RV dealer where the rig was NOT purchased but who are able to make the necessary repair.

Several times I have been told my repairs would take 'back-seat' to loyal customer's repairs who purchased their RV from that particular dealer because I was not part of 'their family'. The first question out of one Service Tech's mouth for a valve extender install was , "Did you buy it from us?" After my "No" reply his next response was, "...we might be able to get you in in about six weeks...!"? ?They obviously didn't want my business, nor did they get it.? ?Of course this is not necessarilly true with independant workshops/installers such as CW but they may not be an 'authorized' installer of the specific broken part (whether under warranty or not) .? At least buying from a reputable dealer, especially for first-timers, you have some peace of mind and come-back whether they can actually fix the problem at their facility or not.? ?

I mention this because,? as we both agree on,? maintenance is on-going and must be considered when deciding whether to invest in an RV or not. IMO it therefore becomes very important as to how, when and where and by whom, such maintenace or repairs are effected.? I was not implying that 'warranties' are the panacea of RV ownership. But... when making the purchase in the first place, a primary issue (for me anyway) is how convenient is the repair shop which is willing and able to do the repairs and fixes that I can't.? Preferably one that can do all warranty work and for prompt(er) service...perhaps... the selling dealership.? Having said that, having a good rapport with a reliable, convenient, competent, independant repair facility is worth its weight in gold...or at least the cost difference between 'new'?and 'used' .

Happy Roaming...B.T. ;)

Have you seen the Coachmen Concord line? The new 2007's have been nicely redesigned.

I did not even know that Coachmen made a B+ until stumbling across one at a local dealer web site. And after comparing the Lexington and Coachmen, the Coachmen was the winner when we discovered the 2007 floor plan was redesigned. It has more of a class A feel then any we have actually seen in such a small package.

Don't get me wrong, the Lexington's are nice in allot of ways, but I got a better deal on the 2007 Concord. The dealer gave us 30% off msrp on a special order. It came out to around $62,000.00 + tax, etc... The unit is loaded with all of the options, including sat.

Mike

Well we did it.  We finally bought a Winnebago View 23H and so far love it.  We got a good deal on a 2007 in Florida.  Would also would have taken the Itasca Navion of course.  It was a tough decision between the Winnebago and the Phoenix Cruiser 2551, but we opted for the diesel and the wide Winnebago network. :)

Don't exspect that 17 to 18 mpg  that was previously stated.  I liked to have choked on that one.  RVing since the 60's and neve saw that happen and we used to sell them.  I'm content with my 5.8 to 6.8  Now that is believable.

Don't exspect that 17 to 18 mpg  that was previously stated.  I liked to have choked on that one.  RVing since the 60's and neve saw that happen and we used to sell them.  I'm content with my 5.8 to 6.8  Now that is believable.

I certainly expect that diesel 23 ft View will do a whole lot better than 6.8, Shayne. Maybe even the 17-18 mpg that was suggested. It's only a 2.7L, 154 HP M-B diesel engine in the Sprinter chassis.

Buddy,
But... when making the purchase in the first place, a primary issue (for me anyway) is how convenient is the repair shop which is willing and able to do the repairs and fixes that I can't.  Preferably one that can do all warranty work and for prompt(er) service...perhaps... the selling dealership.  Having said that, having a good rapport with a reliable, convenient, competent, independant repair facility is worth its weight in gold...or at least the cost difference between 'new' and 'used' .
Let's not forget that you're buying a 'motor' home, which means traveling. Very few problems will occur when it's parked in your driveway or in storage, but will happen on the road, away from the selling dealer. I think it's far more important to buy a rig that has both a good track record for reliability and a decent network of factory or factory authorized service shops. Also, the difference in price between a new rig and its' first-years depreciation, and one a few years old, can buy a lot of maintenance. Startup bugs on new rigs (and they all have them) have most likely been taken care of already by the previous owner under warranty. 

Well, we've been out four times now and have some experince and more confidence with driving, normal usage, things not to do, and problem solving.  And after 3,000 miles we are averaging a hair under 17 mpg and deisel gas is now cheaper than regular! Yea.  We do seem to drain our house batts with very little going on--will write a note elsewhere and start a new thread.

Sorry I missed the Diesel  What I get for doing 2 things at once.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom