Vessel documentation scam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've reported something similar in one or more prior years ...

Just opened an envelope with 'Vessel Documentation Portal' in the upper left corner and also on the letter inside. They're trying to convince me our vessel documentation is about to expire, and that I should renew through them. This is NOT the US Coast Guard National Vessel Documentation Center. These scam artists try to get unsuspecting vessel owners to use their "service" to renew documentation for an inflated fee.

In addition to their name, the other clue is that our vessel documentation doesn't expire until January 31, 2020.

Don't fall for this scam, and only deal directly with USCG National Vessel Documentation Center in Falling Waters, WV.

Another one, we get calls all the time stating our vehicle warranty is about to expire.

In this day and age anyone falling for a scam is just a victim of their own greed. Yet people blindly send Western Union money to strangers. The is one rule for the Internet that should be at the top of every browser. If is seems to good to be true then it is not true. You just can't save some people from themselves and their greed.

SeilerBird said:
In this day and age anyone falling for a scam is just a victim of their own greed. Yet people blindly send Western Union money to strangers. The is one rule for the Internet that should be at the top of every browser. If is seems to good to be true then it is not true. You just can't save some people from themselves and their greed.

I just went through that. I was looking at buying a golf cart locally. The person had one posted in Craig's List in Lakeland FL but the cart was in Nevada all stored away in a container ready to be shipped anywhere at no cost to the buyer. It would only be sold through a 3rd party called eBay Motors. They sent me a EMail with a attachment that looked so official even with eBay's logo etc. I would have to buy 5 eBay gift cards @ $200.00 each, call a certain number for eBay Motors and give them the numbers off the back of each card. Then they would contact the seller stating that they have the money and to ship the container. Supposedly, once I got the cart, I had 5 days to inspect it and then if I was happy with it, I would contact eBay Motors and they would release the funds to the seller. What a scam. I called eBay and they said they get that same bogus procedure every day.
I contacted the Polk County Sherriff dept. and they said there was nothing they could do because I wasn't out of any money. I felt this was a scam from day one and it turned out that it as a scam. The seller even sent me a copy of her Nevada drivers license as proof. This golf cart was selling about $2000.00 less than compareable carts.
Like Tom said "If is seems to good to be true then it is not true".

SeilerBird said:
Here is a link to an online agency for reporting online scams.

https://www.econsumer.gov/#crnt

I thought it was strange but the same day I contacted the seller, that afternoon the add was pulled from CL.

Rene T said:
I thought it was strange but the same day I contacted the seller, that afternoon the add was pulled from CL.
Craigslist is finally upping their game in regards to scams. They now no longer allow ads for marijuana.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom