Veteran's Benefits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi--I just read that disabled vets with service related disabilities can stay free in state parks in Oregon.  Does anyone know if all states do this or where I could get that information?  Also, in looking at the app to get an ID card to stay in the SPs in Oregon, it is not clear if that is only for residents of Oregon or from any state--does anyone know about that?

I appreciate any information we could get on this.  My husband is a disabled vet and if we could use that benefit that would help a lot. 

Thanks,

The Lindgren

There's an article in our library about which states give which discounts and it includes veterans info. Oregon gives all service-connected veterans 10 free nights per month in their state parks. California gives 50% or higher disabled veterans who are California residents free camping. There are other states that give half-off to disabled people, including California, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.

Wendy

The disabled can also get free entrance to National Parks and 50% off at federal recreation facilities (including campgrounds) with the America The Beautiful Access Pass, which is free to the disabled. Read more about here (the Access Pass is a ways down the page)

http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

I am unable to understand the logic whereby some states only offer disabled vet discounts to residents of their state.  Seems to me us vets served the entire population, not just the state of residence. 

Oregon's free pass is for ALL vets, not just residents of their state.  Unlike the above poster, I don't understand why they offer it to non-residents (other than to possibly drum up some future business) but am very grateful they do.  It's a wonderful program.

DAN L said:
of related interest:
HOME DEPOT gives all veterans a 10% discount and says ''thank you for your service''.

So does Lowe's.

FastEagle

You must take your husbands DD214, and the  ratings LETTER from the VA (actually DVA) to a VA facility.
There they check everything out for accuracy. Then they take a photo of your husband, yes he has to go also.
Next the VA sends the photo and information (electronically) to a major regional office. Mine went to Atlanta.
The card with photo looks like a credit card with all info on a magnetic strip on the back and it will come in the mail.
If your husband has a Purple Heart it will be printed under his photo. The Purple Heart will allow burial at Arlington National Cemetery, if desired.
You may want to do this as soon as possible, the VA (while very good to me) moves at snail pace.

Good luck, Kerry

Lowes & Home Depot?

Ya mean I been shoppin there an payen full price all this time? What does one need to show them that your a vet? I have my Dog Tag on my keychain but the Honorable discharge Certificate is buried somewhere in the basement archives ::).

My last trip to Lowes and behind the cashier was a photocopy of "accepted" Military I.D.s: DD-214 (or 215), VA Card w/Photo or Military ID active or retired.
  On Tuesday I took a WW2 Vet/Navy Retiree to VA to apply for benefits. The entire process, including being assigned a module, a primary and seeing his Physician took about 3 hours. His DD-214 was dated 1964. They said he will have his VA I.D. within 2-4 weeks.
  The new VA I.D.s no longer display a SS# and below the Vets Photo may be 'Purple Heart' or 'Service Connected'.
  With all due respect to 29er the VA actually works quite fast IMHO.

Actaully, the VA is very slow in general, particularly in claims processing, of which, the backlog now is about 1 million claims. Taking 2-4 weeks to get the ID card is nothing to tout about: one can get a driver's license in a few hours (or less). As a 100% disabled Vet, I can tell you they are slow in most things, if not, all things.

However, pls don't take my comments as a complaint, as that is not my intention. I am very thankful for the VA and the services it offers nowadays and even tho there's a backlog, my treatments and care at the VA hospitals and clinics have been top shelf.

bigskymt:
  Everything you said was right. The VA treats all vets. All any vet has to do is show up with a DD214, just like you did with your friend, and they will be issued an ID card by mail.
  However the OP was asking about an ID card with "service connected" annotated below the photo.
  There must be a disability ratings letter somewhere in the files.
  I Googled Oregon's requirements and the ID card or "something" must say service connected.  Oregon has many on-line sites about this requirement.
  Just trying to help the OP.

I am a disabled Veteran ( Vietnam Era) and my claims processing went rather quickly, I thought. I have also learned that not all State benefits related to Veterans, disabled or not, are consistent. In Florida, for example, most of their benefits apply to 100% disabled veterans. But there are some which apply to those over 20%.
My local VA counselor told me that those Veterans, with certain incomes and assets, who were not in a combat situations, and not disabled while in service, are not eligible for most medical VA benefits.

DD214 is a government document you get when you're discharged. It has name, rank, serial number, MOS, date of discharge, etc.

Wendy

29er said:
  However the OP was asking about an ID card with "service connected" annotated below the photo.
  There must be a disability ratings letter somewhere in the files.
  I Googled Oregon's requirements and the ID card or "something" must say service connected.  Oregon has many on-line sites about this requirement.
  Just trying to help the OP.

29er: Sorry, I missed the service connected part of OP~~no offense intended on my part toward your comment.  But now you bring up another issue: A VA card only displays either Service Connected or Purple Heart. The VA states "If you have a PH you are Service Connected". USNPS accepted the PH annotation as a disability, only asking if it's permanent.
  Based on the comments I've read so far it would be wise to carry VA Disability Ratings Letter with you while travelling.

bigsky, actually, the VA ID shows both Service Connected and Purple Heart, if you are both. It is not an "either or" thing, at least not on mine. I believethey changed that a coupla years back.  Of course, that assumes one has filed a claim and been awarded SC's for his/her disabilities.

Also, besides the "rating letter," the VA will issue a letter stating that the 100% P&T Vet is rated as such: that's the letter that is the most important to carry with you, esp in National/State  Parks.

Herd: that question came up on my last visit. The admitting rep that assigned my friend his priority made the 'either' comment. It sounded strange to me. I'm 70% SC with PH.
  I'll be going back to VA to have it corrected and be carrying my ratings letter from now on since 50% seems to be the deciding factor in many situations.
  Thank you.

bigskymt:
  My VA ID card also states "service connected" and below that "Purple Heart". That's even though I have multiple OLC's to the PH.

Hope you get it straightened out with the local VA.

Kerry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom