Veterans Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edjunior

For all you veterans out there, here's some deals for you to thank you for your service:

http://www.military.com/veterans-day/veterans-day-discounts.html

Enjoy.  

You'll find a bigger list here, including Famous Dave's, Chili's, Hooter's, and a free Grand Slam Breakfast at Denny's. Thank you to all the the places that give discounts to veterans and thank you to all the veterans for their service.

Wendy

Add Olive Garden to the places giving a free meal to veterans and active duty military. Limited menu choices but, hey, it's free !!

Wendy

I think I'm going to Chili's for my free V day lunch.  BTW, your welcome, on behalf of those of us who were thanked.

Please don't take this wrong....but can you imagine this thankfulness being given in the 60's and 70's. A lot of us were there suffering thru the disrespect and name calling. I am extremely grateful for the change of attitude toward our soldiers..I think Chili's is on the menu for tomorrow. I hope we accept their thanks with welcome and humility. ..
All gave some...some gave all.

I would also like to give my appreciation to those serving in our countries military forces.  I am married to an Air Force veteran.  She will get a big hug from me when she gets home from work.

Let us also not forget the fallen soldiers.  They gave their all.  God bless them.

One last note...
I watched a TV interview today with a Viet Nam veteran.  He was at a veteran's appreciation party in my town.  He happened to mention that there was no welcome home crowds, no parties, almost no recognition at all.
Let's give them a "hug" too.  Opinions may have been a bit different at that time, but we sure as Hell didn't forget them and they did what they had to do!

I would like to comment on current feelings for the military folks vs military folks of the 60's and 70's...............

AIN'T NO COMPARISON !!!!!!

And for that I certainly thankful !!!!!  Those serving deserve our eternal respect and thanks !!!!!1

We're just back from enjoying our free Veteran's Day meal at Olive Garden. Not only was the food free, but they also gave all the veterans a $10 gift card to use later. One customer stopped on his way past our table and asked if we had served during Vietnam (guess we look the right age). He said he couldn't believe how gracious everyone now was to veterans and how much he appreciated the thank yous. He hadn't know anything about the free meals, he and his wife just wanted lunch at Olive Garden. I thought he was going to cry. All the employees were extremely polite and thanked the veterans many times, with the manager also going around to all the tables visiting and offering his thanks. As we were leaving, 3 couples came in, all the men wearing WWII hats, one with a Purple Heart. Not many of them left. Is this a great country or what?

Wendy
Scottsdale AZ for a couple of days

Having witnessed the sad treatment of the returning Vietnam veterans, including friends of mine, I am so glad that most people today appreciate what our service people have gone through to protect our country and other less fortunate peoples.  I am extremely grateful to all of you that have served and whatever rewards you're now getting are not near enough.

Wendy said:
As we were leaving, 3 couples came in, all the men wearing WWII hats, one with a Purple Heart. Not many of them left. Is this a great country or what?

Wendy
Scottsdale AZ for a couple of day.

We Korean vets are getting scarce too.  Lost a few more this last week that I knew in HS.  :(

You know, I don't mind a discount or some other form of consideration for service to my country.  But, dang it!  I forget to ask.  However, I don't feel like I've missed out.  Nobody owes me anything.  In fact, I feel my service may have only helped to pay what I owe for the privilege of living in this great country.  If you have not served this country, beit military, peace corp or some other form of patriotic or civic volunteering, you don't know what you are missing.

Molaker said:
You know, I don't mind a discount or some other form of consideration for service to my country.  But, dang it!  I forget to ask.  However, I don't feel like I've missed out.  Nobody owes me anything.  In fact, I feel my service may have only helped to pay what I owe for the privilege of living in this great country.  If you have not served this country, beit military, peace corp or some other form of patriotic or civic volunteering, you don't know what you are missing.

Tom, I think I know the sentiment that you are trying to convey.  I didn't partake of any of the freebie lunches today because It makes me feel like I'm trying to collect on a debt, or something.  It's just a personal thing with me, much like my memories of my military service.

I paid a debt, I didn't accumulate a credit. 

We enjoy the veteran freebies, same as we enjoy the senior discounts and freebies (which you get for just living to a certain age). As for service, I believe everyone should serve and a free meal once a year by a handful of businesses is nice thank you to those who have served. It's surprising how grateful the veterans we saw were for this small recognition of their service. Oh, and FWIW, we always donate the value of the meal to the DAV.

Two years ago George VanLuchene & I went to Applebees for the free meal..... When we got there the line stretched around the restaurant, we both looked at each other & said "NO Way" as we both had our fill of lines in the military.

Last night we had our meal at Denny's which was almost deserted as all the  people must have been at the other restaurants for the free meals. We just smiled at ate in silence....

We stopped at Applebee's in Oceanside last year and they had a 2-hour wait so we came home and ate leftovers. This year, I walked into Olive Garden while Mike parked the car and I was seated before he got inside.

We were from a small town in Indiana, a lot of their sons served in Vietnam, including my husband and his brother, both got drafted and both served.  They were never treated badly.  Even today when active duty comes in for funerals they said they are treated better in our little town then anywhere, the VFW is open to them for sure.

My husband was in Vietnam and our son was in the Army for 10 years.  After being out he has worked contract for the DOD and is now in the process of being hired for a position with the government.  Part of it is due to the budget cuts, how odd.  My understanding is less contractors but they need someone like him so are hiring him, he is a digital systems analyst/engineer.  But also it would not have been possible without his degree that was paid for by the VA.  He has served and is serving in my book, as he has been in Korea longer then he has lived here, but he has benefited greatly from it too. 

We are a great country and I hope we can continue to be one.  A country like ours is sure needed in this old world.

Back
Top Bottom