VHB question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeFromMesa

I bought some VHB tape to use installing some solar panels, but this question is not about that. My wife wants me to replace the towel rings in the bathroom with a towel rack and I want to mount a mirror on the bathroom door. I thought the VHB tape would be good for both jobs since it would not require me to drill holes in the bathroom wall or the bathroom door, but I do not know how to attach VHB tape on a vertical surface.

On a horizontal surface like the roof of the RV I can attach the solar panel, press down on the locations with the tape and let it sit for 1 or 2 days as it "cures" or whatever the proper term is, but what about attaching something to a vertical surface? Do I need to hold whatever I am attaching in place for some specific time? Will taping it be sufficient? Or will it hold immediately? I can remove the bathroom door, place it flat on the floor and then use the tape to attach the brackets, but do I need to do that? Or can I attach the mirror to the door where it is and be done with it?

Thanks.

I can't answer your question, but will say that once you put something together with VHB tape, it's pretty much forever. Removing anything stuck together with it will be less attractive than a couple of holes in the wall.

There are different types of VHB, the kind I have holds well enough immediately.  Google 3M VHB for information.

Amazing stuff - I've used mine in things I never thought would hold....and it's still there years later.  But my applications are almost always low risk - in that I don't care if the underlying surface gets damaged if it doesn't work.  Hasn't failed me yet....

Also, sticking it to essentially wall paper increases the risk as in reality you are relying to the wallpaper glue to hold....

-Kyle

I use VHB quite a bit in the exhibit industry.  It's aggressive as heck and bonds pretty much immediately. 

I second other comments in that once it's on, you're not going to enjoy removing it if/when the time comes.  It will almost certainly tear off the wall paper in the process. 

That said, I think if you prep the surfaces (clean with denatured alcohol or other solvent that leaves no oils behind) it should be more than sufficient for a towel bar, provided you can use an inch or two strip on each side.

Next step up is UHB (Ultra High Bond).  Careful with it - I'd imagine you can use that to attach a trailer hitch!  (Kidding - don't try that  ;))

FunSteak said:
I use VHB quite a bit in the exhibit industry.  It's aggressive as heck and bonds pretty much immediately. 

I second other comments in that once it's on, you're not going to enjoy removing it if/when the time comes.  It will almost certainly tear off the wall paper in the process. 

That said, I think if you prep the surfaces (clean with denatured alcohol or other solvent that leaves no oils behind) it should be more than sufficient for a towel bar, provided you can use an inch or two strip on each side.

Thanks for the information. That is very helpful.

FunSteak said:
Next step up is UHB (Ultra High Bond).  Careful with it - I'd imagine you can use that to attach a trailer hitch!  (Kidding - don't try that  ;))

:D

Back
Top Bottom