Viewing Photos attached to forum msg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Zambenini

Something seems to have changed with my viewing of photos attached to a forum message, like today's Lake Pleasant photos posted by Ned.

Now when I click on the photo description it takes me to save in my browser(either Firefox or IE) and then I have to save it to my disk and call it up with viewer.

Seems that before I could click on photo link and it would come up.

Does this have to do with recent change in forum software or am I missing something in my setup???/

Bob

Bob, I started having some trouble about a week ago, used to be able to open up right from forum link, now when I do that it looks like finger painting!!  ???

Randy

Bob Zambenini said:
Something seems to have changed with my viewing of photos attached to a forum message, like today's Lake Pleasant photos posted by Ned.

Now when I click on the photo description it takes me to save in my browser(either Firefox or IE) and then I have to save it to my disk and call it up with viewer.

Does this have to do with recent change in forum software or am I missing something in my setup???/

I am having the same problem, Bob.

PhilB

It's a known problem, but no known solution as of yet.  I get the same behaviour in Firefox.  What I've been doing is saving the images to a known location and then opening them from the FF download manager window.

Same problem using NetScape 7.2 except it gives me the choice of viewing it without first saving it.

It used to bring up the photo directly.

JerryF

To be more specific, it's a known problem with Firefox 2.0.  It's been logged as a bug by the Mozilla developers and the fix has been made.  It should appear in a subsequent update to FF.

Bob Zambenini said:

Bob

Bob:

I find it a "feature" or "fix" vs. an anomaly. :)

My primary graphic package is Paintshop Pro. I have it set to be my primary viewer. So when I click a forum picture attachment -- then select View vs. Save, it is immediately displayed in PSP. This has the advantage of allowing me to make quick adjustments in size, or whatever, to allow better viewing. That is much better to me than the way pictures were displayed by the forum SW.

If you can set whatever viewer you have to auto open and display the file type you have clicked w/o having to save first -- you "would" get better viewing.

Anyway -- my vote would be to leave it the way it is. ;)

All,

As Jerry mentioned above we're having the same problem using Netscape.  Attached is a copy of the screen we get when trying to view a forum photo.  Because it says "The site has suggested..." that implies it's within the new Forum software.  All we do is change from "Save it to disk" to "Open with default" and we can open the file.  In other words, it's added an extra step for us.

By the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

ArdraF
;D ;D

Attachments

• Forum Photo.jpg
    Forum Photo.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 16
Bob,

The problem is that some, but not all, Firefox 2.0 users are seeing the Firefox bug and not being offered a view option at all.  The only options are to Save or Cancel.  No one is going to change the forum behavior as it isn't relevant to the problem.  You will continue to have your same choices, unless you get the FF 2.0 bug, of course :)

Ardra at al,

I suspect/believe that there's a subtle difference in the way that the latest rev of the forum software presents attachments and this has exposed the bug in the Firefox browser that Ned mentioned. The FF developers have acknowledged the bug and have a fix which will be in the next rev of the browser. It's been a week or two since I looked for any reports of related bugs or fixes affecting other browsers, but I'll try to get up to speed shortly.

Thanks Robert. Did that behavior change when I installed the new forum software a few weeks ago, or was it always that way in Safari?

I'd like to check out the behavior of a few other features in Safari when we get to your place, time permitting.

I suspect the change in SMF behavior is a security fix to prevent the automatic execution of malicious code.  By making the user see that something is being downloaded, there is an opportunity to cancel the operation if it's not what the user expected.  Or to save the file for virus scanning before opening.  This was the previous behavior with Firefox, but the recent bug that showed up at the same time as the SMF upgrade confused things.

Thanks Ned, I believe you're right. As for the confusion, it doesn't take much for me to be confused :(

I also get the open with.. dialog box in firefox 1.5 OSX 10.4.8 recently. I have stopped bothering to try to look at photos

I got annoyed at the new feature also, so I changed FireFox in the following way:
a) In Tool; Options; Content; File types - Change JPG open to FireFox
b) Right click the JPG link the forum and choose the option of open in a new tab.

Nelson

Nelson

Which version of FF are you running? I don't have a jpg option in my files types. I'm running FF v2.0.0.1

JPG is not a predefined file type in FF 2.0.  Until the FF bug is fixed, you won't be able to change the behavior for JPGs.

Bernie,

FYI something that confused me initially was the fact that, when I installed FF2.0, the install somehow kept the old dialog box from FF1.0.x, so this hasn't been an issue for me personally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom