Viewing pictures on a Mac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caltex

Since the new software version was installed for the forum, every time I try to view a picture on the forum it downloads to my computer.

After a session on the forum, when I have checked out some of the pictures, I have a collection of pictures on my desktop that I must drag to the trash.

I use a Apple computer and the Safari browser.  I switched to Firefox, thinking that might solve the problem, but no luck.  All opened pictures download to the disk.

I have checked all the preferences that I can find without success.

Anyone else out there have this problem?

Robert,

There's a known issue with the latest issue of Firefox that's waiting for the new rev (of FF) to be released to fix it. I don't know if the issue is limited to the PC version or if it also exists in the Mac version. I'm not aware of the same issue with Safari, but hopefully other Safari users will chime in and let us know if they see the same thing.

To give me another reference point, would you mind opening this page, clicking on each of the two "Photo x" links on that page and telling me what happens with each. Thanks.

In my case, Tom, image 1 opened as they used to but image 2 downloaded and I had to open from there.

Ciao,

Doug

PS:  I have Caltex's problem and am using the latest version of FF.

Thanks Doug & Mike. You confirmed what I previously believed; File download security measures in the last rev of the forum software isn't being correctly interpreted by Firefox - a known issue the FF developers acknowledged and will fix in the next rev. This doesn't of course explain the issue with Safari. I'll ask some questions to see if it's a known issue.

Hi Robert,

I'm having the same problem with FF on a PC. I thought it was a setting I had changed accidentally but apparently it isn't. Glad to know that but wish they'd fix it soon!!!

Jim,

Strangely enough, when I upgraded to the current version of FF, the install retained the file open dialog from the prior rev, so I'm not seeing the same issue as others.

caltex said:
Since the new software version was installed for the forum, every time I try to view a picture on the forum it downloads to my computer.

After a session on the forum, when I have checked out some of the pictures, I have a collection of pictures on my desktop that I must drag to the trash.

I use a Apple computer and the Safari browser.  I switched to Firefox, thinking that might solve the problem, but no luck.  All opened pictures download to the disk.

I have checked all the preferences that I can find without success.

Anyone else out there have this problem?

Here's what I do on my MacBook Pro.

I have setup Foxfire to always download forum photos to a folder called "RVForum photos". I then use xee2 (see: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19978 ) to view them and delete as I view. Works great and is faster than anything I have tried in the past.

Chet18013

Chet18013 said:
I have setup Foxfire to always download forum photos to a folder called "RVForum photos". I then use xee2 (see: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19978 ) to view them and delete as I view. Works great and is faster than anything I have tried in the past.

Chet

I know that I am handicapped by Windows XP  ;), but how do you get the pictures downloaded? I have my FF options set to download to the folder but I have to click on "save" for each picture and have to wait for the d/l to start before clicking on the next.

Thanks everyone for the replies, it's nice to know there really is something different and it's not just operator error. 

Tom, I got the same results as the others, the first picture opens in a new tab, the second one downloads to the computer.

Now at least I can quit searching for the preference in the Apple operating system that I thought I mush have changed.

Tom,

That is strange. As far as I know I have not upgraded FF unless it did it in the background. Up until just a week or so ago I was able to view the photos using my default Windows fax and photo viewer.

Tom,

A modification to my last message. I guess I must have updated as I checked and there are no updates available now.

Tom

It's doing he same thing in Opera 9.01...Test1 opens correctly, Test2 sends it to open/save page.

Tom said:
To give me another reference point, would you mind opening this page, clicking on each of the two "Photo x" links on that page and telling me what happens with each. Thanks.

Tom,
Test Image one opens right away like it used to but test image 2 gives me the message to open the box. ( an extra step)  I am using IE 7

Betty

Thanks y'all for the responses. FYI the two links on the page I pointed to are merely with and without the forum software (i.e. with and without the file download security).

Just for clarification, there are two different results being observed for the second link; One gives a dialog with an option to save or open, while the other gives only an option to save. The dialog with the option is indicative of the new security measure, while the other is indicative of a known browser problem with the current rev of Firefox. So, there are a total of 3 different sets of behavior being observed for the two links.

Confused? You're not alone - I have a tough time keeping it straight.

Safari uses the same open-source core as Firefox, so it's not surprising that they have the same issues.
If the problem is, indeed, with the browsers, then I suppose you can expect the problem to be fixed at the next round of updates from Apple.  Generally 4-6 week intervals, right ?

Safari is a browser written by Apple, Camino is the Apple browser written by the Mozilla people.

Back
Top Bottom