Visor/Fan Conflict - Happy Birthday Challenger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray D

Haven?t been able to solve this, and have a hunch there is no solution. So, this may turn out to be ?just a rant.? Thanks for the opportunity, either way.

A bit of an explanation:

Just passed the one year anniversary of our Challenger purchase. Was out, camping at Three Island State Park. Got to thinking about the small, inconvenient, relatively unimportant irritations the Challenger has. Got started on a list of things to correct. Explains the flurry of posts, I have here, today and maybe tomorrow. - - - Maybe the day after that!

The manager at the Damon plant, one day, decided to let his ?ne?r do well? son have a shot at design work. He assigned said son to placement of the cockpit fan and the windshield visor. The design genius placed them right next to each other, so that neither actually works.

The fan will blow - but cannot be tilted so it blows on the driver. It blows along the ceiling, instead. Trying to tilt it down, bumps the rear of the fan into the rod for the visor. Or, if the visor is moved , the front of the fan interferes.

The visor can be placed in front of, or behind the fan. Once there, it is a complex operation to get it to the windshield, or away, depending upon which you want to do. Can?t be done, while in motion. (At least I can?t do it.)

Short of major rebuild, can these two be gotten out of each other?s way?

Ray D

If those are the fans I think they are they are not suposed to blow on the driver, they are supposed to blow on the windshield to assist in de-fogging.

I use a clip on plastic fan I picked up 3 or 4 cars ago,  you can get simular fans all over, plugs into a spare ciggy socket on the passanger side, The plug on my fan got damaged so I replaced with Anderson Power Poles which match the power strip next to me (Add on item)

The fans in my intruder are up front, behind (From the driver's point of view) the electrnoics cabnet and no way in Heaven will they ever blow on the driver  They are controled by a dash switch

John: Wrong answer! That is not what I wanted to hear!

Issues: I already have a defrost position on my heater. What is the purpose of two ?defrosters??
I moved the fan to in front of the visor. In that position, the fan will not adjust to blow down, at much of an angle. It will blow slightly down, across the windshield. In that position the visor is useless.

Did the fan/visor doe-see-doe, again, bringing the fan back so the visor can go to the windshield. Can?t turn the fan to blow across the windshield and can?t retract the visor. (That?s my current ?default position.?)? ?Can turn the fan to blow on the visor. That must have been what they had in mind, when they designed it!

Will attach lousy photos, if possible.

Edited to attach lousy photos.  Again!

Ray D.

Three strikes, I'm out. Must have lousy photo filter!

Ray,

I know it's not what you want to hear but John is right. The fans on the dash are for de-fogging. Your in dash defroster will never put out enough air to de-fog that huge windshield.

I think I have to give up, and accept this. Still have a conflict. What goes in front? Visors or fans? By the way, both visors and fans hang from the ceiling, on the upper left and upper right of the windshield. Where do I aim the fans? They won't go down, by very much. Actually they will pivot quite a ways, about 270 deg, but do not tilt much, maybe 20 deg down. Haven't tried up.

lousy photos still won't attach. Exceeded my photo limit, apparently.

Thanks Tom! Lousy photos now attached! Equally bad with and without flash!

Attachments

• Fan forward.JPG
    Fan forward.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 25
  • Fan to rear.JPG
    Fan to rear.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 24
Ray,

Apologies for the attachment issue - I needed to flip a switch. Please try attaching a photo again.

Well.... If you don't like the answer, it does not make it less true.  The windshield fans are there to assist in defogging the windshield, if you want a driver cooling fan you need to add one of your own.  My information comes from the Intruder owner's manual, on the intruder instead of a flat headliner I have an entainerment center up there and the fans are on the windshield side of the entainerment center so there is no question but they are for the windshield, I have to clmib up on the dash to even see them

As I said, I added secondary fans.  you can as well, easy to do and many stores carry them Run around 15 bucks and UP, (and I do mean UP) plus instalation

Back
Top Bottom