VMSpc questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I just noticed the option for an odometer gauge in VMSpc, so this is the first time I've looked at it. Anyone have any idea why the software would be reporting 2,000+ miles higher than the odometer on the coach?

Anyone using VMSpc with the Cummins ISC engine - do the HP and Torque gauges read anything? (They're both derived values).

On a prior version of VMSpc I was able to create a custom gauge, inputting the PID number manually. That option seems to have been replaced with a PID sniffer tool. Anyone know how to input your own PID number into a gauge? The fact that there's a 'Sniff again' option suggests the sniffer might not be able to see all the available/outputted parameters.

I recently upgraded from v2.2 beta to v2.2 released.

One more -

Anyone see an option for cumulative fuel burn on a Cummins ISC engine? I'm pretty sure it's an outputted parameter (seem to recall seeing it on a friend's engine using my V1.x of the software).

Is it possible that your instrument cluster was replaced at one time?  My odometer reads much less than the ECM value as the dash cluster was replaced the first year we had the coach.

Be sure you have selected the correct engine in VMSpc.  If you don't you won't get the correct PIDs.

Thanks Ned.

The cluster hasn't been changed since we bought the coach. Although "new", it had been on the dealer's lot and had 5K miles on it. Some of that was delivery miles and some was shows. I'll check the dealer's declared mileage when we get home; If it's not the same, I'll be calling the DMV. It's illegal to report an incorrect mileage on a vehicle in CA.

Hadn't selected the correct engine  :-[  Will check stuff out again while on the road in the morning.

It makes a big difference when you select the right engine, as I found out :)

... as I found out

LOL Ned, now I don't feel so bad. Is engine selection a new feature in v2.2 or was it there all along and I just didn't know it?

New in 2.2, I believe.  That's why I missed it at first.

New in 2.2, I believe.

If you'd said it was in v1.x it might have explained why I couldn't read cum fuel burn on the CATs on the boat. But that remains a mystery.

Tom said:
I just noticed the option for an odometer gauge in VMSpc, so this is the first time I've looked at it. Anyone have any idea why the software would be reporting 2,000+ miles higher than the odometer on the coach?

Tom,

I'm using the VMSpc on a CAT and I've noticed that the VMSpc and the in dash odometer don't agree. There is a couple of thousand miles difference but I don't know which is higher. I'd have to go out to the MH to find out. I do know that the speedometer reads fast compared to the VMSpc and the GPS.

I think the VMSpc gets it's data from the transmission ECM. I don't know where the in dash odometer gets it's data. That may account for the difference.

Thanks for that info Don. I might call Martin at Silverleaf to see if he has any ideas why the difference.

Just found the dealer's docs on the coach. Stated mileage was 3263, which Rolling Stock tells me was close enough to the odometer reading at the time of delivery. The 5K miles I thought I remembered was the mandatory filter change for the Allison transmission, performed at Albuquerque.

Don's observed difference of approx 2K miles, close to my observed difference, suggests something inherent in the setup. Time to call Martin at Silverleaf.

Tom -

At least on my coach - CAT engine - the VMSpc gets its input from the engine ECM. Recently I changed the size of tires on the coach and had to have the paramater in the engine ECM reprogramed to match the new pulses per mile. On my coach, the odometer has a series of dip switches on the back and by adjusting those dip switches one can calibrate the odometer to show the correct milage/speed based on observations - measured miles, GPS, etc. At one time there was some difference between the odometer readings and the VMSpc and that difference was increasing slowly.

--  RayB  --

Thanks Ray. I wasn't aware that there might be DIP switches on the back of the odomoter for calibration. Another item for my to-do list when we get home.

Selecting the correct engine produced the required HP and torque gauges. Thanks Ned.

But still can't get all the PIDs identified by the sniffer to show up in the gauge selection (e.g. trip mpg).

Found the "engine corrections" options after reading comments in this topic. Guess I need to read the manual  :-[

Tom,

Use an odometer or tank minder to get MPG.  I doubt that the engine reports MPG, just fuel used and miles.

Thanks Ned. I have an odomoter up, but it reports a rolling mpg. I was playing around with the integration time for the latter, but ended up putting it back to the default.

The sniffer is reporting a trip mpg, which I assumed meant that the engine is outputting it  ???

Tom,

Rolling MPG is available as a simple gauge.  Here's my .scr file with an odometer and a tank minder.

Attachments

• default.zip
    411 bytes · Views: 8
Thanks Ned. Yes, I knew it was available as a simple gauge also, although it reports a different value than the one in the odomoter.

Haven't loaded your file yet, but the software just quit talking to the interface box. Looks like I'll have to reboot to get the comms going again. We're currently on a detour around farm roads due to I-5 closure, so I'll wait to reboot until we get back to the freeway  ;D

OK, a reboot got them talking again. Nice layout on your gauges Ned, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom