W. Pa to Louisiana need overnight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richard R

We're hauling our trailer from W. Pa to Louisiana the first week in March.  I'm thinking of stopping somewhere about half way.  The last time, we slid in between some semis behind a Waffle House.  I'd like something a bit more comfortable this time.

We have had good luck with Cracker Barrel. And Harvest host provides interesting layovers and worth the entrance fee.

If there's a Cabela's along your route, most allow overnight RV stays at no charge.  Many have dump stations too. 
If you travel more frequently you may wish to investigate boondockerswelcome.com.  It's a network of individuals who offer free overnights on their private property.  It affords a chance to meet interesting and generous people, and to stay in off-the-main-drag places.  Well worth the nominal subscription fee.

Check out www.campendium.com which gives you the option of picking free places from the map

also check out boondockers welcome, which used to be free but is now $50 for a year so have a look at it before joining, this is people who have spaces you can stay in for usually one night and may be at their home etc.

We tried Harvest Hosts as per Boat Addict, but at the time out West there were very few locations to stay so I suggest checking out their map to ensure you have a good choice of where you are travelling before the expense of joining.

Hope you find something decent.

Richard R said:
We're hauling our trailer from W. Pa to Louisiana the first week in March.  I'm thinking of stopping somewhere about half way.  The last time, we slid in between some semis behind a Waffle House.  I'd like something a bit more comfortable this time.
Richard R
When traveling I've found highway rest areas to be the most easily accessed, covenant and comfortable for overnight stops.

Roy M said:
Overnight parking is not allowed in many rest areas and others are not desireable due to squatters.
Most of the rest areas have signs that say, "No overnight camping.
Time limit 10 hours."
I can get a pretty good nap in ten hours.

In Oregon, I asked a cop that happened to be at a rest stop what "no  camping" meant at  a rest stop. I was told it meant "no tents" and did not apply to RVs.  Perhaps that is the meaning in every state.

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV

LarsMac said:
Most of the rest areas have signs that say, "No overnight camping.
Time limit 10 hours."
I can get a pretty good nap in ten hours.
As long as you don't set out the chairs and the grill you are probably ok. ;D

Back
Top Bottom