Walmart boondocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I were the boss . . .IMAO, the only important thing is if you're communicating. The rest just could make a person seem less educated or whatever, but who cares, if you're communicating okay?

-Don- Redcrest, CA
(y) Some of the wisest people I know are "uneducated". :)

Some of the wisest peo"ple I know are "uneducated".
And some of the people who had very little schooling are the best educated.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

-Grant Allen
in 1894 (no, it wasn't Mark Twain to first say it, as most believe)

Last edited:
Now, back to the Walmart conversation.....
Camping in a Walmart parking lot is dry camping on private land
Hopefully, most RV'ers are "parking" in Walmart lots, not camping
back when people did real camping.
Today, I call that progress. Just because someone likes to use walk-in campsites carrying in all of their supplies, and others pull up to a campsite with a 40' class A doesn't mean one is camping and the other is not. Choices on what works for you.

As far as most RV'ers having never truly boondocked, I would mostly agree with that statement. It is far more prominent in the Western states where there are vast tracks of BLM, Nat'l Forest, State, and other land that appeal to some living in the region. Being from WNY state, free or near free open lands are not common. However, if I use a state park campsite with no hook-ups (very common in the Adirondack Mtns in NY) to me that is boondocking, but as I posted above I avoid "dock" terms and just stick with dry camping.

Now, back to the Walmart conversation.....

Hopefully, most RV'ers are "parking" in Walmart lots, not camping

Today, I call that progress. Just because someone likes to use walk-in campsites carrying in all of their supplies, and others pull up to a campsite with a 40' class A doesn't mean one is camping and the other is not. Choices on what works for you.

As far as most RV'ers having never truly boondocked, I would mostly agree with that statement. It is far more prominent in the Western states where there are vast tracks of BLM, Nat'l Forest, State, and other land that appeal to some living in the region. Being from WNY state, free or near free open lands are not common. However, if I use a state park campsite with no hook-ups (very common in the Adirondack Mtns in NY) to me that is boondocking, but as I posted above I avoid "dock" terms and just stick with dry camping.
I didn't intend to ruffle any feathers here. I simply don't like using the word boondocking to describe dry camping in campgrounds or parking lots. And as I previously said, folks have to do what they have to do given their personal situations and limitations. This word digression was largely motivated by different personal perspectives which are likely a function of personal age and personal experiences.

I imagine for the younger generation who spend much of their time getting brainwashed on social media, spending time in a RV in a campground or Walmart parking lot could well feel like an adventure. I personally find this very sad, but it is what it is.

I spent every awake hour of my poor youth thinking of how I could escape NJ and go far out west to live. And ultimately I left everything behind and I did just that as soon as I completed engineering school on a scholarship. And then I did real boondocking out west and ultimately all over the world. So maybe it is about BOTH personal perspectives and personal choices too.

Gayle & Bob
Los Gatos Casita

I personally don't get sitting inside a fifth wheel all day watching television only to pop out now and then to walk precious to be recreation, but to them it is and it's none of my business. Likewise if you want to call spending the night in a WM parking lot, boondocking, who's to say ( other than the grammar police) it's not?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nedh
Back
Top Bottom