Walmart overnight parking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I prefer a church parking lot. Much quieter, Wednesday night is usually a pot luck dinner and the cops leave you alone. If the pastor stops by they usually offer water and electricity.
That's something I was meaning to ask this forum. If they have any experience with camping in church parking lot. I know I pulled into a catholic church lot in Portsmouth, Iowa, and they had no problem at all with it. Of course, my Dad's family was raised there before the war, and just about everyone in the cemetery is related somehow. My Dad used to say that they had to go down the road 10 miles to the county seat at night if they wanted to date a girl. Otherwise it was a cousin. :)

That's something I was meaning to ask this forum. If they have any experience with camping in church parking lot. I know I pulled into a catholic church lot in Portsmouth, Iowa, and they had no problem at all with it. Of course, my Dad's family was raised there before the war, and just about everyone in the cemetery is related somehow. My Dad used to say that they had to go down the road 10 miles to the county seat at night if they wanted to date a girl. Otherwise it was a cousin. :)
Why...were their cousins ugly?

I always assumed they didn't want to be bothered knowing about RVers parking overnight. Even if you let them know, does anybody here think they will pass on the info to the next shift? I kinda doubt it. So IMO, there is no difference in letting them know or not.

-Don- Auburn, CA
You’re right, it’s a big parking area and as long as you’re not causing any issues, it doesn’t turn into a campsite and it’s not designated N.O. P., they really would rather not be bothered.

You think the next shift would even know? I doubt they want to be bothered with such "courtesy".

-Don- Auburn, CA
Actually, yes.
The manager often makes a note of such things, and the cameras also can see the parking lot and what's out there.
I won't say that all the managers will handle it the same way, but many at least make a note in their logs, and it gets passed on to the next shift.

Many communities have ordinances which forbid overnight parking within their political boundaries, so those businesses are out for sure. This is to keep the riff raff out and everyone else is caught in the crossfire when this happens.

Just last evening before dark, I went to the Lowes about 15 miles from me. It is a line of stores running from the WalMart to the Lowes, and there was a fairly long bumper pull aligned with the outer most curb in the Lowes parking area, right up against the trees that separate the parking from a fairly low use frontage road at that point. While still hooked up, they had the stabilizers down, the slides (2) out, and a generator inside of a box make of insulation board. I could hear it but it was not very loud.

Charles

It's called Courtesy.
They do appreciate knowing who's hanging around their store.
Who is likely to know there besides the one employee you tell?

In above message 17, the translation of that sign is very clear IMO,

It translates to:

"Stay if you wish for a night, but don't bother us with it".

Perhaps that is why they put up the sign.

-Don- Rolls, AZ

I never used a WM parking lot unless there were other RV’s there. So asking was moot.
In Wasco last night, I was the only RV in the entire parking lot.

FWIW, I spent $184.98 inside that Wal*Mart at zip 93280. I have the receipt right here. Nice to have the room inside this RV as well as inside the refrigerator/ freezer. Ref./freezer was totally empty before I went into the Wal*Mart and now both are full.

-Don- Roll, AZ

We have 3 Wal-Mart stores near us - one is near impossible to get into with an RV (the trucks have their own entrance) but the other two are very popular with RVs since they are both within a mile or so of the NYS Thruway (I-90). No shortage of overnighters in those two lots!
Correction/update - I was at the Herkimer store the other day and they do indeed have a "no overnight parking" sign up. Utica is still wide-open for RVs, though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom