WalMart special RV area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
The new "experimental" environmentally friendly WalMart supercenter being built at Aurora, Colorado will have a designated RV and semi parking area with reinforced pavement. Here's the link, but be aware that it's a .pdf file for downloading.:

download link

The new parking area is described on page 11.

Get those jacks down, it's party time!
[edit]Activated link.[/edit]

But the jacks and all the camping gear won't wear out the pavement Jeff  ;D

I've seen Wal Marts with holes in their asphalt from MH jacks, and ruts from very heavy coaches and 18 wheelers, so I can understand the move.

Tom, thanks for the link. I am very impressed with all the environmental-friendly practices they have incorporated into the site. Coming from the city that is a world leader in artificial wetlands and water retention processes I tend to be a little ho hum about news of new steps to recycle water but I had never heard of this permeable pavement before. It has so  much potential.
I will be passing this story onto many contacts in both environmental and planning areas. Might end up stirring up a whole heap of improvements. We can but try.

BTW, would love to hear about this place in a year's time when they have been able to assess the long-term operations of the site. What works. What doesn't work. What can be incorporate elsewhere. Just how efficient and energy/cost-saving have the changes been.

Lorna and I witnessed a good example of "How It Should Not Be Done" last Monday in a Safeway parking lot in Surprise. No, this large class A did not have jacks down or slides or awnings out; merely parked in the normally populated section of the lot diagonally across both rows of abutting parking spaces, effectively rendering at least 12 slots useless! :mad:

Karl,

Don't you just love it when folks do that!

While never having stopped at a Walmart overnight I have stopped to shop a time or 2 and taken up more space than we should, but with trailer I'm 65ft long and cna't be helped.  Also I went to the far, most extreme area on the lot to park and got out of there as quickly as possible.  Even stooing by the customer service and explained to them why I was doing so and requested the manager be inform. 
Now as to wheather that occurred or not, I have no knowledge.  Thought they were intitled to that info.

Of course an RV will take more spaces than a car, but you do it far away from where people are parking at the time.  You don't do it near the store entrance.  And the exercise from the walk is good for you :)

Ned said:
Of course an RV will take more spaces than a car, but you do it far away from where people are parking at the time.  You don't do it near the store entrance.  And the exercise from the walk is good for you :)

I ate good on my trip, but the scales at the doctor said I'm one pound less than when I left.

You would indeed think that folks whould park "Big Rigs" on the far side of the lot, but I've seen more than one parked close to the entrance..... Personally.. I use the far side of the lot unless there is a clearly marked "Big Rig" area in which case I park there.... Always have whenever I'm driving anything bigger than a Dodge MaxiVan (Including when I used the Lumina to pull a 13 foot trailer) (I had the maxi van when I bought the 13 foot trailer)

Of course I have found that common courtisy, like the idea of following at a 2 second or greater distance (the distance it takes you to travel 2 seconds at your current speed) seems to be a fading concept

(I find the average following time is 1 second or less now days, behind the vehicle in front of you)

Back
Top Bottom