Want to build custom stairs and platform for a mobility person to enter popup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MRMANG

The door and step on my 98 Rockwood, make it difficult with the narrow door for my plus size partner with mobility issues to get in and out of the unit. I'm thinking of building collapsible stairs with 4"risers that reach a 24"x24" platform in front of the door for ease of getting in and out. I'm have some ideas but can always use fresh ideas to build something that can also be easily taken down and packed away for each trip. The other issue is that it has to be able to handle 350+lbs. Has anybody built anything like that or have any ideas?
Thx Michael

What vehicle are you using to tow your pop up? The reason I ask is will you have enough space to store and transport the stairs and landing. Maybe a ramp would serve your partner better. I have bad knees (even though both have been replaced) so find stairs difficult. Is there something ready made on the market you can purchase?

I found this ramp on Amazon. It’s lightweight and probably cost less than trying to make something from scratch.

Attachments

• 17122E19-F0CC-46CF-8F41-420246C23A9C.png
    17122E19-F0CC-46CF-8F41-420246C23A9C.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 10
You might also consider reinforcing the floor in that 20+ year old pop-up.
You might find a nice plastic pallet, cut it as needed, I made some stairs to a trailer at a Food Bank, nice size small steps for people, and relatively light weight.

What vehicle are you using to tow your pop up? The reason I ask is will you have enough space to store and transport the stairs and landing. Maybe a ramp would serve your partner better. I have bad knees (even though both have been replaced) so find stairs difficult. Is there something ready made on the market you can purchase?
Hello again Oldgator73. I use a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country minivan to tow my popup. The idea I've considered was attaching a 24"x24" platform to the trailer step frame as seen in the picture. You may notice a 1/2"ish bolt hole that could be a mounting point. Then i'd add collapsible steps with 4" risers so my wife can manage them. Plus a removable hand rail that bolts to this platform and stairs. To keep the cost down I'm thinking a wood unit because a metal one may cost a bit to have fabricated. Just some thoughts. I have looked online for prefab units but they would have then be modified to fit my trailer and needs, so there again that could be costly.

Attachments

• Trailer step.jpg
    Trailer step.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 8
You might also consider reinforcing the floor in that 20+ year old pop-up.
You might find a nice plastic pallet, cut it as needed, I made some stairs to a trailer at a Food Bank, nice size small steps for people, and relatively light weight.
That is interesting with the plastic pallets. Have you by any chance any pictures of what you made?

That is interesting with the plastic pallets. Have you by any chance any pictures of what you made?
Sorry I do not. Many stores have them behind in back, most people don't like the plastic ones, I'm sure you could get one free (ask of course) and cut away with a circular saw or anything you have. A larger base, then a smaller step, maybe 6" high.

Edit: OK I see you are thinking about using the two holes in the step mounting (with the step itself stowed?) Thats still a lot of stress on the brackets. Possibly using those holes AND having adjustable legs to the ground at that point would work. That way the holes just keep your platform from moving away from the trailer...

I have serious concerns about hanging anything on the popup step. Generally they flex alot with a 200 lb person stepping up on them, but doubling that is not going to end well. Whatever you use needs to be fully supported by the ground alone. Even at home, getting in and out of my trailer, I use a set of wooden steps I built (and leave the fold up steps stowed) when I am cleaning, loading, unloading, working inside, etc. My 220 lbs is enough to flex the steps, so I keep the stress off of them.

Whatever you do is itself not going to be lightweight.

Charles

As an aside, a popup probably isn't the best option for a hefty individual. The door is narrow, the floor isn't very thick, and the stringers can be far apart, and the bed ends can only support so much. I'm not speaking too far out of turn either here. I'm 250 and even I feel a little uncomfortable in my dutchmen popup. I have to turn sideways to get thrkugh the door. Nothing has broken on me yet, but I think it'd be a lot more comfortable if I weighed less. Just my .02 on the topic.

That sounds good, but lots of bulk in all cases aren't they? Is that OK?
We just came back from our latest trip and these worked perfectly. I built them the week before. Got the idea from someone on youtube. Plus they come apart and tuck away in my trailer nicely. Thanks for your reply just the same and to all those who also did. Thats why I joined this group. Cheers and happy trails.

Attachments

• 20220429_110846.jpg
    20220429_110846.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back