Want to replace the Dash Radio. What is a "preout"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, Framily.
We want to replace our 13 yr. old Kenwood in-dash radio with a new unit. I wrote to Kenwood for help and received a pretty good reply. However we don't know what they mean by the following sentence, specifically the term "preouts".
  "You will need to select a model with the preouts needed for your
application.
(front, rear, subwoofer)"

Thanks,
Jack Pearce

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
A preout is an output from the preamplifier of the receiver designed to drive an external amplifier or allow the connection of other devices between the preamp and the amplifier.  In your case, if you're going to be using a builtin sound system with multiple speakers and amplifiers, you need the corresponding preouts to connect them.

Bob Buchanan

Jackliz said:
Howdy, Framily.
We want to replace our 13 yr. old Kenwood in-dash radio with a new unit.

Hi Jack & Liz:

My new used rig has an excellent dash radio system by Alpine. For the time being the sound is of a quality that leaves waiting for the time being to add an amp and external speakers. A nice feature to have that I wanted to mention is an Aux input. This allows me to input from an auxilliary source such as my iPod -- either while under way or parked. The only problem is that the Aux port is located in the rear of the unit versus easier access from the front.

The bad news is that the current sub woofer appears be getting it's power from the chassis battery even tho the dash switch that allows switching to house batteries while parked is in the parked position. The result is if I play the unit while parked, by chassis battery is drained. Bummer! So be careful if any of your speakers need external power how it is connected.

I brought this up on another thread and Karl and Lou spotted the problem right away.

rsalhus

In my MH, my in-dash AM/FM/Cassette radio drives a pair of speakers in the front and a pair of speakers in the bedroom, both selectable.  It too runs off of the chassis battery and requires the ignition switch to be on 'Accessories' as well.  I never understood why they didn't use the coach batteries for this or provide a switch to utilize the coach batteries if desired.  The electric step also runs off the chassis batteries but that might be because the ignition 'on' switch overrides the electric step 'on/off' switch setting, retracting the step when the ignition is 'on'.  I'm not sure why my electrical leveling system also runs off the chassis batteries.  I would think this could also run off of the coach batteries, but there must be a reason that I can't think of at the moment.

Len and Jo

When I replaced the radio in my 2000 Chev Extend van I went to local radio store (Mickey Shores) to find up grade model I wanted.  I bought the van with cheapest unit GM had.  Mickey Shores was very helpfull.  I installed replacement myself, and yes I wired it to run off of the house battery not the engine battery.  Far less concern about leaving it on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ORV270RKS
Top Bottom