Washer/Dryer Combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sisam

Hey Guys:

My hubby and I are getting a new RV (today).  We are wondering how everyone feels about the washer/dryer combo?  Should be have one installed or leave it alone.  We have to decide today.  I hope someone can help me decide.  Don't have an option about a stackable, has to be a combo, if we opt for it.

Sisam said:
Hey Guys:

My hubby and I are getting a new RV (today).? We are wondering how everyone feels about the washer/dryer combo?? Should be have one installed or leave it alone.? We have to decide today.? I hope someone can help me decide.? Don't have an option about a stackable, has to be a combo, if we opt for it.

Welcome to the RV Forum. 

We have a Splendid combo washer/dryer and Sam would not want to be without it.  In answer to your question GO FOR IT.  Word of caution though make sure you get one that is vented to the outside.  The non-vented units are not really much good.  Hope this helps.

What kind RV are you getting? Let me be the first to congratulate you on yous soon to be new RV.

You have come to the right place to ask any questions you might have.  Please join in any of the ongoing discussions or start new discussions relating to the RVing lifestyle.

Thanks so much for your response.  I will check on the dryer name and ask if its vented outside or not.  Your info is a huge help.

We are getting a Wilderness Advantage 5th wheel, 36.5', 4 slides.  We had a 5th wheel before (in 1998) and lived in it full time about 4 years.  We loved it.  It had 2 slides, no w/d and was 31'.  It has been almost 3 years since we've lived in one.  We looked at tons and tons of RVs and always found one thing or another that wouldn't meet our needs.  This one does.  I need an office/desk area to do my work (as a medical transcriptionist) and this RV has one in the bedroom, and my hubby will use the dining table for his desk/office (he's a claims adjuster).  It had to be light enough weight for our truck (3/4 Dodge with the new type engine thingie), which it does.  It's roomy.  I'm so happy about the roominess of this one.  It's probably not for everyone, but for us, it will be perfect. 

We are excited about RVing again.  RV people are the greatest.  My hubby ran an RV resort in Houston for about 3 years and we met the most amazing people.  We are in our early/mid 50s and will be working for quite some time and hope to be RVers for quite some time. 

Thanks again for your response to my question.

Which RV Resort did you run in Houston?  Our daughter and her family live in League City and we usually stay at the Space Center when visiting there. 

Yes we have met some great people while RVing.  The folks on this forum are the greatest.  We have rallies in different locations through out the year.  Hope you will be able to join us at a rally.  Check out the calendar for dates and locations.

Please keep us updated on your delivery and how things are going.

It was east of Houston (Baytown).  It was once Coast to Coast, something happened and an independent person bought it.  It eventually sold and closed down....bummer.  Was a nice place.  I think the property is in limbo about what will happen to it. 

We are in Mobile, Alabama right now.  Mobile will be our "home" for a while until we start traveling, which might be within 6 months or less.  We have some friends that have property in the country and we will place our RV there.  My hubby and the other guy are claims adjusters and we all do a lot of traveling but not with our RVs just yet.  That is coming.  That is why we are getting ours now (hopefully today or maybe pick it up tomorrow).  Our friends have a beautiful motorhome.  We are all set to go (well, almost)!

Will keep up with things on this forum.  It is so great.  So much really great information. 

Have a nice day. 

I second Ron's response. We have the (vented) combo washer/dryer and wouldn't be without it. OTOH some folks prefer to use the space for other things and choose to use laundry facilities at campgrounds. It's really a personal choice, with no "right" answer that fits everyone.

For the anti argument, Marlene did not want a washer/dryer in the coach. She feels the total load time is too long and the load size too small and would rather go to a laundromat and do 3 large loads simultaneously. Others manage their laundry differently. Marlene had the factory remove the washer and replace it with a dishwasher. YMMV

I'd say it all depends on the amount of space you have and need.  I have a 40 foot 5th wheel that came with a stackable washer/dryer combo installed right next to a full shower/tub.  Took up the whole side of the bathroom.  The tub was nice with young kids but...not needed anymore.

We decided that storage was a better use of the space and I gutted out the tub and washer/dryer combo.  Installed a shower stall and now we've got 4 huge cabinets of storage that used to be unusable space except for the times you needed to do laundry.  Again, it's all in the amount of space you feel you need for your lifestyle, but my guess would be if you plan on living in it full time you can never have enough storage space.

Karl said:
Ron,

WELL, EXCUSE ME ;D I have a Kariba non-vented unit and LOVE it! Works great and one less hole in the roof!

Sorry Karl.  But your comment is the first positive comment I have ever heard regarding a non-vented washer/dryer.  All the vented units I have seen in a RV are vented out the side not the roof. ;D

beer batter said:
....came with a stackable washer/dryer combo .... I gutted out the tub and washer/dryer combo.

The "combo" machines that most folks here talk about is a single machine with wash and dry functions, different from the stackable variety. It allows you to have closet/drawer space above.

Ron,

Still a hole ;D ;D

The big difference is that the non-vented uses somewhat more water during the dry cycle. Could be an issue if you're boondocking, but on the other hand it uses less electricity during dry - also an issue when boondocking. Six of one; half a dozen of the other. ;)

I would rather have a hole in the side than to have Sam an unhappy camper. ;D
We have never had any first hand experience with the non-vented models.? We were advised very strongly to avoid them and that the would take 2 or 3 times longer to dry.? We took that advise.? Since we have heard nothing but bad comments about the non-vented washer dryers until just the other day. ;D ;D? We dis meet a party that had the non-vented unit removed and replaced with vented type.

Karl said:
Ron,

Maybe your quote (above) should read "I would rather have a hole in the side than a hole in my head" Whatever makes Sam happy (and vice-versa)...... ;D ;D ;D

LOL what ever Karl.  I know I better keep Sam happy. ;D ;D

I thought I'd posted this earlier but I don't see it in the thread

One thing I'm considering is not a cloths washer/dryer but rather a dish washer... I found a compact dish washer at Best Buys for about 200 bucks, looks just about the right size for doing dishes from a 2 person meal... Alas when I checked the owner's manual inside it for specs as to how much water it needs.... .it was the wrong manual

John In Detroit said:
I thought I'd posted this earlier but I don't see it in the thread

One thing I'm considering is not a cloths washer/dryer but rather a dish washer... I found a compact dish washer at Best Buys for about 200 bucks, looks just about the right size for doing dishes from a 2 person meal... Alas when I checked the owner's manual inside it for specs as to how much water it needs.... .it was the wrong manual

John

The D/W the factory installed in our coach was a Kenmore apartment sized model. Fit right in where the W/D was. it uses 7 gallons per load but does a day or two's load.

Karl said:
Ron,

Still a hole ;D ;D

The big difference is that the non-vented uses somewhat more water during the dry cycle. Could be an issue if you're boondocking, but on the other hand it uses less electricity during dry - also an issue when boondocking. Six of one; half a dozen of the other. ;)

Karl,? What is the amount of time it takes to do a load.? I had a Splendide 2000 S that was vented.? A load would take about 2 hours to do.? Does the non vented models take any longer?? Do you have any problems with clothes being still damp when the cycle is over?

I'm looking for a W/D to put in my new 5er and am limited to the amount of space.  I see that the non vented are smaller than any I've seen.

Bill

Bill,

There are several wash cycles and the longest takes about 15 minutes.  Usually I'll dry the clothes outside for that nice, fresh smell. There's a separate timer knob for dry time with the maximum being 120 minutes. Experience has shown that it will take about 1 1/2 hours to dry a good size load. The clothes are not what you would call damp, but aren't bone dry either. I just shake the shirts, smooth out any wrinkles (hardly any) and put them on hangers and lay jeans across the bed for the final drying, which take 10 minutes or so;  less in AZ ;D.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom