washer/dryer question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrd341

hello all! just for curiosity's sake, has anyone ever successfully installed a washer dryer combo in a winnebago adventurer 35u? i was thinking about the possibility of installing one in the hall closet, but didn't think i could because it is part of the slide out and couldn't figure out how the water lines could be run!

They are extremely difficult to install unless the coach was pre-prepped for it.  You would need to run a dedicated 20A circuit, plus hot & cold water lines and a 1.5" drain line to the gray tank, and cut a hole in the sidewall for the vent.  Getting the water lines to a slide location after the coach is built would be a real challenge.  In fact, running plumbing and electric anywhere in an RV after it is built is challenging.

Gary's correct. I watched my RV being built and trying to get the supply lines to the unit after the walls were in would be a major undertaking.  The plumbing in a slide is not that big of a deal, my whole kitchen area is in a slide out. Flexible drains and such make it easy.

You would be better off upgrading the rig to one already set up for a W/D than go thru the expense of adding one.

The added weight could also effect the operation of the slide.  When we were getting the RV ready for our current trip, the wife had a TON of stuff beneath the dinette table.  It's in the large slide.  With the added weight the slide would not move.  We removed the stuff and problem solved. 

thank's for the input, that is a little more than i would like to get into right now on this (our first) unit! think i'll just concentrate on finding and fixing the things that are "needed" right now (which is becoming an increasingly daunting task) as opposed to the things that are "wanted" LOL! thank's

My previous coach had the prep for  a washer but I never had one. I used the space where the washer would be for many items. My current coach has the washer dryer combo, but I find if Im boondocking, the washer uses too much water to do laundry. If Im at a rv park, I might just as well get my laundry done much quicker in the big machines. The combo is quite small, and you would have to do more smaller loads. I am considering taking mine out to gain the space it takes up. Others probably wont agree, but that my take. I have one, and hardly if ever use it.

thanks, that is good to know because it was kind of a toss up on whether we would use it enough to justify all the work and expense of owning one, they are not exactly "inexpensive!"  my wife was looking at one of those small manually operated washers just for occasional use.

Others probably wont agree

I would NEVER give up my washer/dryer to go back to using Laundromats!  Been there, done that, hated it - and my husband hated waiting for me so he insisted that a washer/dryer would be a high priority on our next coach.  I didn't argue at all!  ::) I do lots of small loads that go from washing through drying while I'm doing other things.  If there's someone else traveling with you I don't recommend removing it unless you're BOTH in total agreement!  By having a combo unit we have a Huge storage area above that more than makes up for the lost cabinet space where we have a propane range and oven which I use all the time.  There are tradeoffs but I wouldn't give up the washer/dryer.  The word is convenient.

ArdraF

DW agrees w/Ardra (and I agree with her hubby) -- the washer and dryer are really great to have.

If Im at a rv park, I might just as well get my laundry done much quicker in the big machines.
DW starts a load, then goes and does something else (read, cook, watch TV, relax) until it needs attention again. Then places clothes in the dryer, starts it, then does something else again. I don't have to wait for her to get back or, on occasion, wait with her in the laundromat. There's no rush to get the clothes out of the dryer (or the washer, for that matter), as there would be in a laundromat.

And finally, DW can do one load, then another load another day OR, do more than one load in a row the same day -- it all depends on what we're up to that day and what she feels like doing.

Granted you can't wash clothes when boondocking, but you probably don't have a laundromat near then, either. And having a washer/dryer doesn't keep you from using a laundromat if you feel the need.

Still, some folks want the extra storage -- personal choice.

thank's for the response and input, we would probably go with one if it wasn't such a big deal to retro fit into this coach, but will know what to look for in the next one! lol

Another point is when Wife and I were shopping we considered. but the cost of a Washer/Dryer spread over the anticipated life of same.. Was very close to the cost of laundromat. over same time.

So why haul the weight and give up the storage???

John From Detroit said:
Another point is when Wife and I were shopping we considered. but the cost of a Washer/Dryer spread over the anticipated life of same.. Was very close to the cost of laundromat. over same time.

Speaking ?only? for us, We?d rather go to the dentist.....than go to a laundromat!

Memtb said:
  Speaking ?only? for us, We?d rather go to the dentist.....than go to a laundromat!

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))
I've always said that if my DW was given a choice of giving me up or the combo, she'd have to think of it for a few minutes. She likes her combo that much.  :-\ :'( ;)

Rene T said:
I've always said that if my DW was given a choice of giving me up or the combo, she'd have to think of it for a few minutes. She likes her combo that much.  :-\ :'( ;)

That's us too Rene. I think the DW would make me sell the coach if it didn't have a W/D!  It's not only convenience,  but she loves that no one else had washed something disgusting in the washer just before she got there. Or machines that don't work well, like washers that don't drain, dryers that that don't dry, and the expense of 5-6 loads at a time adds up. 

Yep, we will never have a rig without a W/D and a residential refer. Just as her!

We have a Splendide that likely was never used by the previous owners.  Or maybe it was used once.  It shakes so badly I don't like being in the motorhome when it's running.  We've used it 2 or 3 times but honestly prefer to use a laundromat.  Of course with our two shedding furballs, and lots of throw rugs to protect the furniture from their long claws, we could never rely solely on the Splendide.  Still I would consider a stacked unit if we upgrade and have the space and weight capacity.   

Rene T said:
:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

John, if you've seen some of the things I've seen in laudromats over the years you would want your own washer/dryer too!

It shakes so badly I don't like being in the motorhome when it's running.

Gary, a Splendide rep told me vibration means it's not level and need to be leveled.  Our previous Splendide had no vibration but this one has been bad from the get-go and it's a real hassle for us to maneuver it out of the cabinet.  Jerry had the bright idea to go to WalMart and buy two bicycle tires and a small tire pump.  We put a string on each one and tucked them on either side of the W/D, pumped them up, and the vibration went away.  On our last trip it started again so we "fished" out the valve (that's why we have strings on them), pumped them up, and it's good again.  That's a whole lot easier than trying to get the darned thing in/out of the cabinet!  It's also an inexpensive fix.

ArdraF

Maybe we?re just lucky...but, you have to listen very carefully to tell that our is running. And, ?knock on wood?....you can?t feel them running. We have the GE Spacesaver, and the DW says the capacities are close to that of our home units!  At this point, I?m really impressed with the GE?s, but ours are 14 years old....I don?t know if the new ones are of equal quality!

Even more important than level is having all 4 legs on the floor with even pressure (load) on each.  If you can wiggle the unit corner to corner or side to side, lower the FRONT leg to better stabilize, plus a bit more.  Watch it when it runs to see which way it vibrates, then adjust accordingly.

Our Splendid only vibrates on the spin cycle, usually when washing towels or maybe a load of jeans. 
Happily, ours is directly on the coach floor, restrained by a bar across the front of it.  Not that hard to remove to replace a part, or maybe hunt for a dead mouse that's been there a few days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom