Washer/Dryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zippywire

Doug & I have been going back and forth regarding the need (or not) for a washer dryer.  Would like any information about ones you have, what we should look for, what you wished you'd known before hand, etc.  Are they all the same?  Ive heard they take alot of time and water.  ??

Consider the load size, the space they take up, and finally the cost v/s using campground's coin laundry

Some of the washer/dryer combos are not too bad in the load size category, but alas, by the time you do all the math on the cost... There is not a lot of savings over the coin ops

Most, but not all, RVs have the combination washer/dryer. Splendide is the main manufacturer.

You'll find different schools of thought - folks like us who wouldn't be without the W/D and folks who prefer to use the laundromat. For us, it's a convenience issue. But, as John mentions, they don't hold the same size load as your domestic large capacity, separate W/D. When we lived in the UK, Indesit, the original manufacturer of the front-loading Splendide style machine, was common in most folks' homes.

The vented type uses a lot less water than the non-vented.

My wife and I wouldn't have a RV without one. But as Tom said, it's a personal thing. Some people wouldn't be without them and others you couldn't give them one. We like them because we don't have to sit around a laundromat. Peg puts a load in and we go about what ever we want to do. When we get back the load is done.

If you get one make sure you GET A VENTED ONE! The non-vented ones use a lot of water and have to be connected to a sewer when in use.

Don

zippywire said:
Doug & I have been going back and forth regarding the need (or not) for a washer dryer.  Would like any information about ones you have, what we should look for, what you wished you'd known before hand, etc.  Are they all the same?  Ive heard they take alot of time and water.  ??

Hi Candy,

We have the Splendide washer/dryer and my wife wouldn't be without it. As Tom said, there are those that really like them and those that wouldn't have anything to do with them. The difference is your wash load is much smaller. The upside is you are doing your laundry in your own CLEAN washer and, when dry, you can conveniently put everything away. You don't have to run around looking for a clean laundry. Some campgrounds can be pretty bad as well as commercial establishments.

My wife will wash a load and then split it to dry. She says it works better for her that way. The trick is to do a small load every other day or so. Don't let it pile up so you need to take all day to do the wash.

Do not even consider one that is not vented!!!! It uses water to help the drying process and takes much longer to accomplish the task.

Amen on the vented, by all means.  We have a Bendix in  ours and works great.  Small loads are the key.  Wouldn't be without it.  Cam always have something ready to wear in an hour or so. Like that special shirt or shorts to golf in. Yes they are expensive but so are the RVs and the cost of RVing, so what's the diff. It's like an insurance policy, it's nice to know you have it, should you need it.  We actually use the laundry marts also, but only after traveling extensively and for heavy things or after a long dry camping venture. The combo jobs, take much less water than do the stacked ones, but make sure you have a 10-gal water heater so you don't overwork your heater. And for safety features ours must shut down the Microwave to use the w/d.    Hopes this helps in your decision making. 
Good luck and happy motoring

A washer/dryer was factory installed on our coach when built, we had it replaced at the factory with a dishwasher. More important to my navigator. She feels that she can take the wash to a laundromat and do a weeks worth of washing in an hour or two over 2-4 machines than what the in coach combo takes. The dishwasher also is lighter, takes up a little less space and uses a lot less water <G>. We have even used it dry camping.

Tom said:
To wash the paper plates?

No they get too soggy, just wipe them off with a damp rag ;D ;D

We do accumulate some pots and pans, silverware, and a few other washables and before we dump and rewater, if there is enough room will run the D/W.

Chris tells people she has a portable dishwasher in the coach - me.

We belong to the camp that would rather visit a laudromat for 2 hours every 7-9 days and use the space in the motorhome for other things. Perhaps because we have "only" a 35 footer rather than 40-45, the interior space is a bit more important?  Nor have we encountered any problem finding a laundromat anywhere, but then we don't share the extreme fear of laundromats that many people seem to harbor.  Maybe our standards aren't high enough?  ;)  It's strictly a matter of personal choice...

We have a dishwasher in our coach, but plan to take it out and put in a drawer for pots and pans.  Since Tom taught me how to wash dishes, I have been stuck with the task, and Mary wants the extra storage space.

caltex said:
Since Tom taught me how to wash dishes, I have been stuck with the task..

That was a very long time ago. I must have been a good teacher if you're still doing dishes. I seem to recall Mary saying you'd never done dishes before that.  I also recall you and George telling me to sit down and not to worry about the dishes  ;D

We had an Open Road 5th wheel & added the Majestic stackable. It had it's downside, but enjoyed it. We just traded up to an 06 Doubletree Elite Suite. Doubletree uses Kenmore stacking w/d & it's a big improvement. We're fulltimers in the construction industry & always have 1 or 2 loads a day. Our Kenmore actually washes the whole king-size bed sheets in one load instead of two.. Can't beat clean sheets & now we don't have to use laundramats with someone elses dirt & soap residue... ;)[br]Date Posted: January 31, 2006, 10:03:11 AMWe had an Open Road 5th wheel & added the Majestic stackable. It had it's downside, but enjoyed it. We just traded up to an 06 Doubletree Elite Suite. Doubletree uses Kenmore stacking w/d & it's a big improvement. We're fulltimers in the construction industry & always have 1 or 2 loads a day. Our Kenmore actually washes the whole king-size bed sheets in one load instead of two.. Can't beat clean sheets & now we don't have to use laundramats with someone elses dirt & soap residue... ;)

We have the Spendide combo vented w/d and love it!!  As previously posted by others, you can only do small loads and it does take longer but I throw in a load or two in the afternoon/evening while watching TV.  Another benefit is we dry the bath towels and face towels in it each morning thus reducing moisture and that musty smell towels can get.  This works well in the combo because any soil from drying bath towels is washed away with the next wash load.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom