Washer & dryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was at the Splendide booth here at the FMCA rally this morning. I overheard them tell the guy in front of me that they get new machines returned by RV manufacturers for very minor damage, typically small, almost imperceptible dents in the side (which you wouldn't see anyway). Splendide sells these at a discount.

Karl & Bonnie,

Last year at Moab the circuit board on our Splendide melted.  After Moab we went home to Las Vegas.  Splendide couldn't fix it so they sent us a BRAND NEW washer...very nice.  They even paid the freight.

I disconnected the broken one and paid two landscapers, who were working across the street, $20 to lift it out.  On a Monaco it fits through he front door as long as you remove the screen door and the hand railing next to the steps.  When the new one arrived I paid the same two landscaters to lift it back in.  It weighted 165 pounds.  I look at this $40 as medical insurance against a back injury!

Bonnie, may I suggest, if you buy a new one take Splendide's extended warranty.

JerryF

We have the same Splendide washer/dryer in our coach and our boat and wouldn't be without either when we're away for more than a few days at a time. They won't do very heavy loads such as several large towels at the same time, but they aren't intended for that purpose.

Jerry (Jerardra) gives lots of valid reasons why laundry in a campground laundromat is often less than a happy experience. They aren't all that way, but we always check it out before heading there with a load or two (or 3 or 4).  More often then not, we head into town to find a "real" laundromat unless the cg laundry is either empty (it happens) or a cut above average..  Most areas have a pretty decent laundry somewhere, though sometimes you have to ask to find it. If there are apartments (or college dorms) in the area, there will be several nice ones. In general, cg laundries are probably best thought of as being for the occasional single load and not the standard fare.

Jerry,

It would make it thru the front door o.k., but not the door separating the kitchen from the bath and bedroom. Would have had to remove moulding.

Bonnie,

There are a number of stackable w/d's available, but consider that you're now using up even more space and have the additional weight of two metal cabinets, 2 motors, 2 drums, etc. Larger washloads yes, and you can wash one while drying another, but you also have to move the wet clothes from the washer to the dryer - and you have to be there to do it. Servicing them can be a real p.i.t.a. too.  I'll go with the single unit, hands-off approach any day. 

Keep in mind Jerry's melted circuit board and smoked-filled coach at Moab before you try his suggestion of putting in a load and leaving for the day expecting to come home to a washed and dried load. You might come home to a burnt-out shell. I would never leave a wash load unattended in an RV or even at home, for that matter.

I'm with Ardra on not liking people putting their dogs or cats or diapered babies on the folding counter (seen the baby, never seen the dog or cat). That's why I bring my basket back to the coach and fold the laundry on the bed. At least it's only Sam's dog hair on the cover.

Since we're staying with smaller motorhomes, I'd rather have the storage space. We've always been able to find a decent laundromat or use one in a campground....maybe not at exactly the time we wanted to, but sooner or later. And I'm a big fan of going in, doing ALL the laundry at once, folding it up and putting it away, and not worrying about it until the next time I need to do laundry a couple of weeks later.

We have friends who love the w/d unit in their 35' MH for doing towels. Said they like grabbing a warm towel from the dryer after showering and wouldn't give it up for that reason alone.

Like everything else with RVs, I guess it all depends on personal preference.

wendycoke said:
Keep in mind Jerry's melted circuit board and smoked-filled coach at Moab before you try his suggestion of putting in a load and leaving for the day expecting to come home to a washed and dried load. You might come home to a burnt-out shell. I would never leave a wash load unattended in an RV or even at home, for that matter.

Actually, Wendy, it wasn't all that bad.  I smelled electrical and Phil was nearby so we just pulled the plug.  I was concerned about fire, but the fellow who did the repair said it was not likely to set everything on fire because what burned was contained within the metal box.  We just aired out the place for a while and then I had to "suffer" by going to laundromats until we got home a couple of months later.  :)

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Actually, Wendy, it wasn't all that bad.? I smelled electrical and Phil was nearby so we just pulled the plug.?
ArdraF

Glad it wasn't as bad as it seemed at the time! But I still wouldn't go off and leave the w/d unit unattended....I tend to be a bit of a paranoid.

I agree with Wendy about not leaving the RV or home with a dryer running.  Someone in my family would have lost their home if they had gone away when drying their clothes.

Wouldn't be without ours.? We have a fifth wheel, and sacrificed a closet for a stackable Sears washer and drier.? We had a Splendide vented model in our previous RV.? The advantage with the stackable is that obvously you can do more wash, but of course we've lost a place to hang jackets.? Like most others on the forum we dislike hanging around laundramats.? Life's much too short.

"Alrighty then!? What about a washer and dryer?? "

Peggy & Dennis
The Brits

Two days ago we smelt something burning during the dry cycle on our Splendide in the coach. Yesterday I dropped by their booth at the FMCA rally and this morning they came and replaced the circuit board. Looks like a connector on the board burned up. Excellent service from Splendide.

Karl,

I got the distinct impression that this was not the first time they'd seen this problem. The tech said something about a power surge as a possible contributor, although we have a surge guard at the power input to the coach.

Our model is WD2100. The machine was built in 02, our coach was built in 03 and we bought it as a leftover in 04.

Tom and Karl,

I just saw your comments re the circuit board.  Yes, there was a specific time period where there was a problem with the 2100 circuit board.  Since then they have changed the circuit board so Tom and we have the new one.  Unfortunately I don't recall what the time period was.  I guess anyone who wants to know would have to ask Splendide.  The guy who did our repair knew about it but he's moved to someplace like the Dominican Republic so we can't ask him.  ;D

ArdraF

Ardra,
Thanks for you input.
I will contact Splendide and find out if my w/d, installed in 2006, is affected. I willl check on the date of manufacture too, because it may have been sitting in a warehouse for some time.

BTW: you never answered my question about the spin cycle imbalance problem - seems like mine vibrates a lot regardless of the load or load distribution. Never had this problem with the Kariba it replaced. Comments?

Karl,

I am up early so here is my take on imbalance.  As Ardra may have said, Splendee finally gave us an entirely new washing machie.  Upon removing the old broken one I discovered that Monaco had removed the screw in/out rubber padded adjustment legs on the bottom of our original washer when they installed it during production of our coach.  This original washer vibrated during the spin cycle MORE than the new (second) washer possibly because the metal bottom of the washer was sitting directly on the wood floor instead of being on the rubber padded adjustment legs.  I left the rubber padded adjustment legs on the new washer, made sure they were adjusted properly, and we have noticed that it seems to vibrate less than the first washer.

Also, we have noticed that sometimes one load of wash will vibrate more that another but you already know this. 

BTW, by vibrate I mean that the washing machine shakes a bit which, of course, can be felt throughout the coach.  For comparison I have been in Ron & Sam's coach when their washing machine is running and I felt that theirs vibrates/shakes more than ours but neither ours nor theirs seems objectionable to me.  I think that "that's the way it is."

Anything beyond this Ardra will have to answer.

JerryF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom