Washing and waxing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Georgetrap

:eek:
I recently followed advice for washing and waxing from Rocked 27 but when I used the non scratch Scotchbrite pads I had scratches anyway!!

Now what?

You might try a slightly more abrasive wax.  Light scratches usually always wax out, with a little elbow grease or buffer.  Not sure of the procedure you used, but that spray on liquid wax, is not going to take out scratches. 

Share your process a bit more, we'll share solutions a bit more  8)

Welcome to the Forum!

All Scotch Brite pads are abrasive.  Some are less abrasive than others.

There are some recent threads on cleaning and waxing.  May I suggest the Search function near the top of the page?

I recently had an "attack tree" get me at a campground.  It was not "scratched" as in a finger nail finds a scratch in the fiberglass, but the tree left "firmly rubbed" lines.  They disappeared with a coat of Maguire's Cleaner Wax.  If you have actual scratches, it may not work, but it may be worth a try.

SpencerPJ said:
You might try a slightly more abrasive wax.  Light scratches usually always wax out, with a little elbow grease or buffer.  Not sure of the procedure you used, but that spray on liquid wax, is not going to take out scratches. 

Share your process a bit more, we'll share solutions a bit more  8)

There is no such thing as a "abrasive wax".  Wax is purely for protection, while polishes and compounds are the products used to remove scratches and other surface defects.  There are however cleaner waxes, but they have only a light polish component to them to remove minor sins.  These are designed to be a one step product to remove light surface defects and leave a coat of wax behind.  None of these however are aggressive, so more problematic surface defects require at least a polishing first, if not a compounding, then a polish before applying a wax or sealant.

Gizmo is right, of course, but the terms "wax" and "polish" are near always used interchangeably (though incorrectly).  And most auto, boat & RV detailing products fall into the cleaner-wax category of a light polish plus a "wax".  And "wax" itself is a misnomer, since most such product contain synthetic compounds for surface protection and only a tiny amount of actual wax (just enough to legally use the word "wax" on the label and ads).

In any case, we can't help Georgetrap much without more info as to what he used.  Scotchbrite comes in a huge variety of grittiness, plus we have no clue what directions he followed.  I didn't find any member named "Rocked" in our list either.  So help us out here, George, and explain what you did.

Back
Top Bottom