Washing our RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill_Frisbee

Because our street is too narrow and our driveway too short, our 5th wheel is parked at a secure storage facility when not in use. One problem with this arrangement is the lack of a way to wash the RV. I am aware that some RV camps provide wash pads ... but, in general, is it appropriate to wash the RV when parked at a serviced camp site? If not (which I suspect will be the response), are there suggestions of other ways to wash the RV when there is no access to water at its normal parking spot??

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

Some campgrounds allow washing of vehicles while others do not.  Usually it is in the rules if it is not allowed but best to get permission anyway.  We never use water to wash the American Eagle or any of our vehicles, Instead we use a product called Dri-Wash-N-Guard.  The Eagle has never been washed with water since we got it new.

In addition to Ron's comments, we've found that some campgrounds allow you to wash your RV, but charge you $3 or so for the water, payable up front. We asked when we checked into one campground recently and the guy gave us a really strange look. When we explained that some CGs don't allow washing of RVs, he said "I've never heard of that".

I know one campground that actually encouraged you to wash your RV... You see, other than "Main Street" all the roads and sites are basically packed dirt, IN the dry season it gets rather dusty and if you are tossing around gallons and gallons of water... It keeps the dust down

Hey John, I'm going to have to remember that story next time I come across a campground that doesn't allow washing of RVs  ;D

Most campgrounds I've stayed in in Indiana/Illinois/Michigan do not allow washing of RV's.

Woody

I have taken my TT to our local car wash (the drive through bays) that had a special bay for big vehicles.  It was a bit expensive, so it was a quick wash (mainly to get the dirt and bugs off), and I found I really should have brought a ladder to get the top, but it all worked out fine.[br]Date Posted: August 29, 2005, 08:18:24 PMI have taken my TT to our local car wash (the drive through bays) that had a special bay for big vehicles. ?It was a bit expensive, so it was a quick wash (mainly to get the dirt and bugs off), and I found I really should have brought a ladder to get the top, but it all worked out fine.

Tom said:
Hey John, I'm going to have to remember that story next time I come across a campground that doesn't allow washing of RVs? ;D

Well, it was one campground, And it's under new management now so that may have changed

It is also a membership campground... By the way, the published rules said "No washing of rigs"  The manager simply over ruled the published rules

Ron said:
Bill,

Some campgrounds allow washing of vehicles while others do not.  Usually it is in the rules if it is not allowed but best to get permission anyway.  We never use water to wash the American Eagle or any of our vehicles, Instead we use a product called Dri-Wash-N-Guard.  The Eagle has never been washed with water since we got it new.

Hi, Ron ...

This certainly looks like a reasonable solution to my problem. I have checked several web sites and am still unclear how the product is applied and removed. It appears that you can purchase an applicator and then have to hand buff ... sort of like waxing your car. Is that correct or close?

Bill

Simple operation.  The DWG transfered to a application bottle that is pumped with the built in pump.  You apply by spraying on the surface similar to using a paint spray can.  Spray on and wipe the dirt off with a terry cloth towel buff to high goss with a second terry cloth towel.  I use between 8 and 16 ounces to clean and polish the 40 ft Eagle.  See PM

I don't think we've hardly stayed at a park that WILL allow you to wash at your site.  Just last week out in Colorado we were told upon check-in that included no spot washing with a bucket and sponge either.  We didn't feel the deep need to wash ours anyway but that seemed very strict.

Using Dri-Wash-n Guard you need no water.  Our Eagle has not been washed with water since we bought it new.  We have never experienced an objection to our washing the Eagle with DWG.

I have to second Ron's comments, I have been using Dri-Wash for about 6 years or more on three different rigs and have never had a problem with any C/G's. I can do my whole 36' coach at least three times with a Quart.  Even use it to redo the front and windshields each day to get the bugs off and it works great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom