Washing the Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D

D2

We have been on the road for over 6 weeks now and the only rain we have seen was day before yesterday coming into Williams, AZ (and the windshield wipers cut off and wouldn't work - Now that was fun! :-\).

The motorhome is filthy on the outside and since most RV parks will not let you wash your RV and what little rain we have seen did nothing to rinse off the dust and dirt, how do you wash your RV when fulltiming or on long trips?

Thanks,

D2

Try truck stops.  If the line isn't too long, washers will swarm your vehicle while you watch for a price.  This comes from my father-in-law who full-timed for 8 years.

Don't what the price is, but likely based on your length.

Good Luck  ;)

A number of folks here use Dri-Wash which uses little or no water. They use a wet cloth to wipe off the dirt from a previously protected RV and report good results.

D2 said:
We have been on the road for over 6 weeks now and the only rain we have seen was day before yesterday coming into Williams, AZ (and the windshield wipers cut off and wouldn't work - Now that was fun! :-\).

The motorhome is filthy on the outside and since most RV parks will not let you wash your RV and what little rain we have seen did nothing to rinse off the dust and dirt, how do you wash your RV when fulltiming or on long trips?

Thanks,

D2

Dri-Wash works as advertised and can lessen the need for water hose and such. With my Jeep and MH, I half fill a bucket w/water and do a segment at a time -- wiping off the dirt first with a wet rag, then applying the DriWash. Am experimenting now with a competing prodct labeled "DryWash" that seems to be the same kinda stuff.

However, if your MH is "filthy" as you describe, it's time for a hose down or commercial wash. One of the biggest problems is the roof. If you spend hours wiping down the sides with a wet rag then applying DriWash, then as soon as a little rain comes along the dirt on the roof is going to come streaking down.? :(

There are several brands of "waterless car wash" products available, if you don't want the full treatment you get with Dri-wash 'N Guard or Protect-All.

Protect-All makes a waterless wash in addition to their surface protecting product - it's called Protect All Quick & Easy Wash.
It's intended for just the situation you describe - dirt vehicle and no hose available.See http://www.protectall.com/qelg.htm

Freedom Waterless Car Wash is a popular brand that seems to get good reviews. Prolong is another brand.

I use Blue Beacon or other such trick washes. In Salt Lake City last week, it cost $33.00 The mobile RV washing service at the CG wanted over $70.00!

We never wash the Eagle with hose and water.  We have used Dri-Wash N Guard since we got the Eagle new.  I have never had a campground complain about me washing the rigs.  I have never washed the MH off prior to using Driwash either.  The Grand Cherokee got its very first wash with water the other day while at the dealers.  Even after returning from an off road trip I use only Dri-Wash N Guard.  Works for me.

Ron said:
We never wash the Eagle with hose and water.? We have used Dri-Wash N Guard since we got the Eagle new.? I have never had a campground complain about me washing the rigs.? I have never washed the MH off prior to using Driwash either.? The Grand Cherokee got its very first wash with water the other day while at the dealers.? Even after returning from an off road trip I use only Dri-Wash N Guard.? Works for me.

Off road trips put dust on the jeep that is easy to brush off. I have made winter trips to Reno/Tahoe -- and other such routes. This puts tons of salt, sand, and crude all over and well embedded in, over, under, and around my RV and Jeep. Ron, it would seem ludicrous to begin DriWashing without hosing it down first.

Bob Buchanan said:
Off road trips put dust on the jeep that is easy to brush off. I have made winter trips to Reno/Tahoe -- and other such routes. This puts tons of salt, sand, and crude all over and well embedded in, over, under, and around my RV and Jeep. Ron, it would seem ludicrous to begin DriWashing without hosing it down first.

If one is unfortunate enough to have to drive in states that salt the roads in winter then salt would certainly be a consideration.? Fortunately I have a choice so we do not drive in the salt conditions. Don't suspect they have much need for salt on the highways where we winter and they do not use salt on the roads in Montana or Wyoming.? Having said that as I have mentioned before I have never used anything but DriWash on the Eagle and up till earlier this week had never used water on the Grand Cherokee.? Yes it has been in some pretty muddy conditions as well as some sloppy highway conditions but I never felt the need to wash with water before applying DriWash.? Ludicrous ??? I don't think what I have bee doing for the last several years would be considered as ludicrous. ;D ;D ;D

Hi Ron:

>> If one is unfortunate enough to have to drive in states that salt the roads in winter then salt would certainly be a consideration.? Fortunately I have a choice so we do not drive in the salt conditions.
====
Well -- forget the salt then, Ron.? :)? How about, mud, clay, granules, bugs, heavy tar and tree sap? I have seen my various RVs pretty muddy and dirty to the point that, yes, it would be ludricous for me try to wipe off that mud with a wet rag prior to DriWashing vs hosing it down.? I guess yours has just never been that dirty. Even if it came off easier if I kept it DWed, the crude has to go somewhere at least via a wet rag used prior to the DriWash application. And if really caked on there, a wet rag wash would just not be enough, IMHO.

>> Yes it has been in some pretty muddy conditions as well as some sloppy highway conditions but I never felt the need to wash with water before applying DriWash.? Ludicrous ??? I don't think what I have bee doing for the last several years would be considered as ludicrous. ;D ;D ;D
====
DWG International seems to disagree with your approach.? ??? This is taken from their website under FAQ.

QUOTE:
How dirty is extremely dirty when applying DRI WASH 'n GUARD? directly on dirt?

Mud, clay, granules, heavy salt spray, bugs, heavy tar and tree sap are examples of things that cannot and should not be polished with DRI WASH 'n GUARD?. Let common sense be your guide-if in doubt, rinse off the vehicle before applying DRI WASH 'n GUARD?. UNQUOTE

Hi Darlene,

I have only used ProtectAll on my coaches. It does a great job of removing black streaks and larger dirt deposits seem to fall off. If the coach is extremely filthy I will rinse it off first but most of the time ProtectAll will do the job without any additional help. It has a UV protectant that keeps the finish in top shape as well. The cost is much less than other products that do the same thing. The son of the inventor of ProtectAll is a member on this forum. Once you have a couple of coats of ProtectAll on your coach the cleaning will be much easier.

I have used Protect All Quick & Easy Wash for the past year.  I bought a pump-up sprayer at the Lawn and Garden department.  To wash I put a couple of cap fulls of the stuff in a gallon of water (I can't remember the exact amount but it is not much) spray it on and wipe it off.  I does a very nice job and gets me out of doing the dishes.  :D

Hi Rollie,

Hadn't thought about a pump up sprayer for the wash. Sounds like a pretty good idea and one that won't make the campground management angry.

Both the 37' MH and the 24' Enc. trailer need washing.  Just happen to have a sprayer in the trailer.  Where can  the ProtectAll or Driwash and Guard be purchased here in the Phoenix area.  Give me something to do between 6 and 8 AM before the 100 Temps kick in. Especially needed after the dust storm the ohter day.  Thanks

Shayne,

PtotectAll can be purchased at some WalMarts, although our local one doesn't sell it.

Click here for some vendors of Dri-Wash, although they're not necessarily in your area right now.

Shayne,
If your WalMart doesn't have it you can go here www.protectall.com or Camping World.

Thanks guys  Was at the Wally World today and found it.  However I asked that question, cause I knew many out here didn't want seem as dumb or stupid about it.  Maybe many of the others will contact the Framily members mentioned.  I was sitting back waiting for the message of the people to be credited and now it's out for others to contact them.  Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom